Author Topic: Allen bolts rotors  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Toaster

Allen bolts rotors
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »
Greetings
When I took the rotors off to have the front tire installed I notoced that there was some kind of thread lock on the treads. Can anyone tell me what it is and if you need to use thread lock on the bolts?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Allen bolts rotors
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »
It is a very strong thread locking agent of unknown type or brand. Kawasaki says that those bolts have to be replaced anytime they are removed and the reason is that the new bolts come already coated in that thread locker. The same material is used on a lot of frame bolts around the bike.

I have removed the rotor bolts on my bike many times now and am still using the original bolts without any issues. They do not loosen on their own, or at least have not yet.  I assume Kawasaki takes the view they do because of potential liability but I have no real knowledge on this issue.

Brian

Greetings
When I took the rotors off to have the front tire installed I notoced that there was some kind of thread lock on the treads. Can anyone tell me what it is and if you need to use thread lock on the bolts?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:38 AM »
On some stock bolts I've purchased from Kawasaki (Handle-bar bolts) they have the entire thread area coated in red thread-locking material. I think that probably means red thread-locking agent would be OK. It can be a bear to remove, sometimes a little heat will help. I'm curious, do you mean the Calipers or the Disk?
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Toaster

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »
I mean the disk :)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:30 AM »
That's what got me wondering, why do you remove it to change a tire? I've changed many tires but only removed a disk to replace it.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Toaster

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
The dealer wants them off, before he will install new tire.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »
They are probably worried about warping the disk carriers.  The factory locking agent is an orangy-red but I don't believe it as strong as red loctite (271).  I have been cleaning the threads and applying blue thread locker (242?) just in case.  So far no issues.
T.S.R.

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 04:29:34 PM »
They are probably worried about warping the disk carriers.  The factory locking agent is an orangy-red but I don't believe it as strong as red loctite (271).  I have been cleaning the threads and applying blue thread locker (242?) just in case.  So far no issues.

I did the same, Blue loctite.  The factory bolts are microencapsulated.

http://www.threebond.co.uk/PRODUCTS/ThreeBondLockingAgents/SealockProcess/tabid/212/Default.aspx

I had to learn the terminology when I started working on my Beemers.

Mick
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline Toaster

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the input, I will use blue loctite :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
It is not necessary to remove any rotor(s) on the wheels to change a tire. The reason some do it is so that the disc does not get damaged during the tire change (read: dinged by an errant tire iron and / or the idiot wheeling it). It is the same situation as putting down drop cloths before painting a room with a carpet…. It is not required but it is faster to use the cloths than the amount of time spent looking at the drop(s) of paint stuck in the rug later. I usually remove the rotors from my front wheel for that reason before changing the tire- I think it is faster to R&R the rotors than it is to straighten either one later.

Brian

That's what got me wondering, why do you remove it to change a tire? I've changed many tires but only removed a disk to replace it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »
Thanks Mick. Never heard of that before.... leave it to the BMW to invent a more complicated way to use a bolt.  :D

Microencapsulated. It sounds like something Scott would add to bathroom tissue..... "Now with microencapsulated scent particles."

Brian

I did the same, Blue loctite.  The factory bolts are microencapsulated.

http://www.threebond.co.uk/PRODUCTS/ThreeBondLockingAgents/SealockProcess/tabid/212/Default.aspx

I had to learn the terminology when I started working on my Beemers.

Mick

Offline spotcw

• It is...what it is
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
I'm taking my front wheel to the dealer tomorrow for a new shoe. I asked them if they wanted the rotors off the wheel and they said no, that they don't get in the way. I'll probably take them off just to save em!

Offline tundra dweller

• XLR8
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
Loctite blue-242 works just fine. I use it on the caliper bolts too.
You really only need to take off one rotor if you are changing the front tire. Just put the rotor on the bottom when clamping it in the tire changer. Same for the single disc rear wheel.
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »

Microencapsulated. It sounds like something Scott would add to bathroom tissue..... "Now with microencapsulated scent particles."

Brian

Ewwwwwwwwwww
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time