Author Topic: how much in a tank?  (Read 5301 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
how much in a tank?
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
I was wondering exactly how much fuel goes in a tank before running dry. I was on the road this weekend in Croatia and when just leaving Dubrovnik the warning light came on. I had then 356 km (about 224 miles). I made it to the fuel station with 401 km (249 miles) and I managed to put 21,5 lt (5,68 US gal). Computer said 5,3 lt/100 km (44 mpg), which according to my calculation is accurate enough.
How much more fuel did I have left, considering that I always fill up to the neck? Manual states 22 lt (5,8 US gal), but once I refueled 22,3 lt (5,89 US gal).
Thanks in advance,
Martín
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

Re: how much in a tank?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »
I was wondering exactly how much fuel goes in a tank before running dry. I was on the road this weekend in Croatia and when just leaving Dubrovnik the warning light came on. I had then 356 km (about 224 miles). I made it to the fuel station with 401 km (249 miles) and I managed to put 21,5 lt (5,68 US gal). Computer said 5,3 lt/100 km (44 mpg), which according to my calculation is accurate enough.
How much more fuel did I have left, considering that I always fill up to the neck? Manual states 22 lt (5,8 US gal), but once I refueled 22,3 lt (5,89 US gal).
Thanks in advance,
Martín

How much goes in the tank before running dry? I guess I'll have to be a smart ass and say that it'll never run dry in that instance.  ;)

I know that you meant how much comes OUT before running dry. I put 5.9 gals in once.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
Will burn up your fuel pump if you let it get too low or run dry.........cha ching!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
I got just over 6 gallons in mine once and the the bike was still running when I stopped the engine at the fuel station. But as someone else already said, it is risky to run the fuel tank dry in any vehicle with an electric fuel pump in the tank like a C-14.

Brian

Thanks in advance,
Martín
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
Per the gas pump receipt, I put in 6.18 US gallons once.  It was a long run, and the town I had planned to get fuel in only had one pump, and it was 87.  The next town had no gas, so I was sweating it when I finally made it back to civilization.

Pokey is right, electric fuel pumps uses the fuel to keep them cool, and running them low all the time will cause premature failure.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »
thanks for the answers. It was more of a curiosity question. I'm not planning to drive with the beacon on on a regular basis. It was just a sort of slight-emergency situation. But it was neat to see the 400+ km on the trip meter  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:05:17 AM »
How much goes in the tank before running dry? I guess I'll have to be a smart ass and say that it'll never run dry in that instance.  ;)

I know that you meant how much comes OUT before running dry. I put 5.9 gals in once.

Not near enough. 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 11:42:59 AM »
Not near enough.

+1
These would be so sweet with a 7.0 or 7.5 gallon tank!!
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »
Brian, wasn't it you who said there is 1.3 gallons left when the warning is triggered?
1.3 x 44 MPG = 57 miles.
However I would dare go past 40 miles.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »
Brian, wasn't it you who said there is 1.3 gallons left when the warning is triggered?
1.3 x 44 MPG = 57 miles.

Several people in the past have said it is 1.1 gal left (and I think it is even in one of the manuals) when the warning starts.  Since I typically get around 44MPG, too, that is a 48 mile range.  But I would always consider it to be "40" absolute max to be on the safe side.

The most I have put in the tank was right at 6 gal.  I probably should not have let it get that low.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »
6.13 gallons here.  Then again I overfilled some because I needed the every bit I could get to make the next leg of my ride.  In the end it didn't work out and I got too worried.  I ended up draining about a half gallon from my friends r100rt.
T.S.R.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
I don't think so- I believe there is 1.1 gallons left when the low fuel warning (or as some call it the 'bail out' display) appears.

Just my opinion but even thinking about going 57 miles past the low fuel warning gives me shivers. I honestly do not know how far I have gone with that warning but 30 miles would be plenty; I bet a C-14 pushes hard and my wife is not very big....  :D

Brian

1.3 x 44 MPG = 57 miles.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
Wow, I am surprised the final drive on your bike did not fail after putting BMW fuel in it....

I also tend to overfill the tank most times. I also fill it on the sidestand and fill from the left so the air bubble at the top of the tank is smaller, at least I believe that is what is going on. Lately I have backed off putting so much fuel in the tank unless I am going to immediately get on the highway though; filling the tank up too far and leaving the bike overnight leaves a puddle of gasoline under the bike from the tank's vent. Once the fuel is just above the splash plate I call it full, and filled to about 1/2 inch over the plate is all I have ever tried to put in it.

Brian

6.13 gallons here.  Then again I overfilled some because I needed the every bit I could get to make the next leg of my ride.  In the end it didn't work out and I got too worried.  I ended up draining about a half gallon from my friends r100rt.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
Anyone know what the difference is between all the C14's out there compared to the California C14's (since that's what I have)?

All of my previous bikes have had longer necks in the gas tank to protect the "emissions" stuff they put up high in the tank. I have put in over 5 gallons already, but nowhere near 6 gallons. But of course, I leave for a 1200 mile trip in about 35 hours.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
I have put in slightly over 6.0 gallons in my 08 California bike.  Unlike the SV's, it appears the C14 tanks are the same size.  About 4.8 to fill when it hits reserve.  I normally fill on the centerstand to the level of the oval cutout.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »
So, I decided to baby her for the last three days, I put 5.2 gals in at 262 gps miles.  The light came on at 240.6!  50.3MPG and I'd bet if my wrist were a tad tamer I could do even better.  My all time fill up was 6.1, pushed it a tad there, I was at about 160 miles on that tank.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
So, I decided to baby her for the last three days, I put 5.2 gals in at 262 gps miles.  The light came on at 240.6!  50.3MPG and I'd bet if my wrist were a tad tamer I could do even better.  My all time fill up was 6.1, pushed it a tad there, I was at about 160 miles on that tank.

160 or 260?!!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:42:15 PM »
160 or 260?!!
That tank was a fun one!  Lots of 2nd and 3rd gear action at Pacific Raceways.