Author Topic: another bevel drive leak  (Read 2963 times)

Offline jworth

• Arena
another bevel drive leak
« on: August 03, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »
So I'm starting to wonder how common this is.  My bevel drive appears to be leaking from both the side that faces the tranny and also the output side.  I know, double lucky, right?   If money weren't an issue I'd just do the 7th gear mod.  Unfortunately that's not really an option.  On the other hand it's a pretty involved job and since I would like to eventually do the 7th gear mod, I only want to do that job one time.  Luckily I have another bike so I guess Black Betty will sit up for a while. 

Offline bigpigtx

Re: another bevel drive leak
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »
Just had mine done.  I was planning to do it myself but it's a big job and it's been over 100 degrees in my garage lately.  Worth every penny of the $471 in labor. 

One bit of advice:  Watch where that oil is going.  I put mine off b/c it was a small leak.  Right before I took it in I noticed some of that oil was being blown onto the rear tire. 

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
I'm sure some of it has made it on my rear tire.  There is quite a bit on shock links.   So far I don' t think there was enough on the rear tire to be a real hazard, but obviously it will only get worse.

I've decided to get the seal kit from Murph and just replace them.  As much as I like the though of the 7th gear, it is just one of several up grades I'd like to put into a bike that, ultimately, I'll no keep forever.  I've had this bike since new in '04.  I'd like to do the 7th gear mod with exhaust gear and 2mm jet kit, Kossman rear tire, and Russel Day-Long seat.    Ok, start adding all that up.  As much as I like this bike, I just can't see dumping close to $2k in mods into her.  No, I think I'll just change out the seals and drive her until one day I get something different. 

Offline shibby_cbs

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:49:42 PM »
if you were to ride a bike with the sisf jet kit and exhaust gear you would change your mind

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 06:24:43 AM »
So I'm starting to wonder how common this is.  My bevel drive appears to be leaking from both the side that faces the tranny and also the output side. 
Pretty common. Mine started leaking at 20,000mi or so.
Not too bad a job. Took me about 8 hours. Did er in a borrowed garage (Thanks again to The Other Brian!)

no special tools required
Murphs kit includes everything and more. It comes with the metal B.G.C.G. as well as the shift shaft seal and all the other seals in that housing (since you are already in there...)

My only warning: watch out for the tiny pin which holds your drive shaft in place at its front end.
'02 C-10

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
Ok, so I've looked through the manual and I have a fair idea of what I'm getting into.  I have the seal kit that Murph sells.  Or does he?  I don't see it on his sight any more.  I went there to see the listing of the seals so I could look up where each goes.  Well now he doesn't have it on his site?!  Ok, so there's something like a dozen different seals in the kit.  Some are obvious others not so much.  Anyone know where they all go?

Offline bradleym

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 02:33:19 AM »
Odd, I can't find it either.  I just got one at the end of July so I could do mine, but I wound up getting the 7th gear from SISF.  All the seals in the Murphs kit are for basically rebuilding the bevel gear housing, and SISF already did that.  I did use the main bevel gear gasket though (he knocked off $10).  If you like, I have a list of all the seals it comes with.  I can also ship you all I have left for $40, and I'll cover shipping.  The o-rings it didn't include, that I wish it had is the 2 water pump o-rings.