Author Topic: manometer restrictors and the C14  (Read 2578 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
manometer restrictors and the C14
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
Both the Motion Pro and Morgan syncronizers come with restrictors which the owner must insert into the vacuum tubes. I noticed that the vacuum "nipples" on the C14 have restrictors built into them. So I wonder if it is a waste of time to install these retrictors to sync my TBs with the Morgan. I am also wondering if the double restrictions is what caused my Motion Pro tool to go haywire with air bubbles.

Has anyone here used the Morgan Carbtune Pro to sync their C14 and did you install the restrictors?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: manometer restrictors and the C14
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:52:37 PM »
I do not see how using two sets of restrictors could have caused your problem with the air bubbles in the tubes. I use the original restrictors on the manometers as well as the ones already on the C-14 without any problem and the mercury still bounces a bit. That said, I have not used the Morgan type at all so no personal experience.

Brian

Both the Motion Pro and Morgan syncronizers come with restrictors which the owner must insert into the vacuum tubes. I noticed that the vacuum "nipples" on the C14 have restrictors built into them. So I wonder if it is a waste of time to install these retrictors to sync my TBs with the Morgan. I am also wondering if the double restrictions is what caused my Motion Pro tool to go haywire with air bubbles.

Has anyone here used the Morgan Carbtune Pro to sync their C14 and did you install the restrictors?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:37:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I wondered if the built-in restrictors on the C14 were atypical. Two sets of restrictors seems redundant and problematic to me but if they worked with your mercury manometer they should work with the Morgan.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Leo

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »
I have the old style mercury stick manometer.  In addition to the restrictors, I also noticed that the longer the hoses are, the less jumping of the reading.   I used to hang it with short hoses on the handlebars, now I hang it at eye level on the garage wall, and use hoses about 8 feet long.   It definitely dampens the pulses.   Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
Yes, the long tubes increase the volume in the system and that will dampen the intake pulses. Any type of container between the hose and the manometer will also do the same thing. I sometimes wonder why the manometer makers did not mold a tube in the back of the gauge itself to act as a dampening chamber- them I remember that price was a consideration and the simple mercury sticks work well enough as they are (or were if you cannot get them anymore). Working better would cost more and most of us would not want to pay for that.

Brian

I have the old style mercury stick manometer.  In addition to the restrictors, I also noticed that the longer the hoses are, the less jumping of the reading.   I used to hang it with short hoses on the handlebars, now I hang it at eye level on the garage wall, and use hoses about 8 feet long.   It definitely dampens the pulses.   Good Luck
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
I think the restrictors in the throttle bodies started to show up with fuel injection systems. Having the cap fall off the nipple would make a nasty vacuum leak in either system but carbureted systems can compensate for that at least a little bit while F.I. systems cannot compensate at all. So I think the restrictors are there to minimize the leak if the cap or hose falls off, not to make it easier to synch. the throttle bodies.

Brian

Thanks for the reply. I wondered if the built-in restrictors on the C14 were atypical. Two sets of restrictors seems redundant and problematic to me but if they worked with your mercury manometer they should work with the Morgan.