Author Topic: tire pressure  (Read 14220 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

tire pressure
« on: July 31, 2011, 05:32:02 PM »
I always check my tire pressure before I ride my bike, a short time back someone posted a different way to check them. Something about checking them cold and then running them for 15 minutes and checking them again, if they were over  so many pounds you added air or if they were over a greater amount   you let a pound or two out. Anyone have a link to this post, I want to try it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: tire pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:37:23 PM »
Isn't it just supposed to be 42 cold??  ???

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »

That is my understanding, also.  When I do check pressures, I always use a quality, dial-indicator type meter.  Life is too short to waste money on crappy meters (and there are a LOT of them out there).

I am not pleased that the TPS "temperature adjusts" because I can't remember what it is doing.  I would prefer it told me what the actual pressure was.  I am not stupid, I know the pressure will go up as the tires get hot.  It is just like yesterday, I had been riding 30 min and looked at the pressures and it said "40".  So I have to think "hmmm... is that 40 for real or some pseudo-40?  It should be something like 45 or 46 now."  Either way, it is low... will check with the real meter before next ride.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
Kind of.... the problem is what is 'cold'? I believe that the nominal cold is 20C or 68F. If you fill a tire to, say, 42 PSI when it is 90F outside and the tire 'cold' from sitting overnight, you will put less air into that tire than you would if you had filled it at 68F. It is actually a complex issue as to how much air we should be putting in a tire but a good 'rule of thumb' is to add or subtract one PSI for each 10 degree change from 68F (I use 70 'cause I can do it in my head). So if it is 90F outside and I am shooting for 42 PSI, I put fill the tire to 44 PSI. If it is 20F out and you are the only motorcycle that will be out riding, and we are still shooting for the nominal 42 PSI, then I would fill the tire to 37 PSI.

The goal is basically to get the same amount of air in the tire at any ambient temperature.

Either that or just put air into the tire until the bottom is about the same shape as the top.  :o

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline curly

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »
I have a digital roadgear gauge. I just put 42 psi cold no matter what the temp is and hit the road ;)
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »
Kind of.... the problem is what is 'cold'? I believe that the nominal cold is 20C or 68F. If you fill a tire to, say, 42 PSI when it is 90F outside and the tire 'cold' from sitting overnight, you will put less air into that tire than you would if you had filled it at 68F. It is actually a complex issue as to how much air we should be putting in a tire but a good 'rule of thumb' is to add or subtract one PSI for each 10 degree change from 68F (I use 70 'cause I can do it in my head). So if it is 90F outside and I am shooting for 42 PSI, I put fill the tire to 44 PSI. If it is 20F out and you are the only motorcycle that will be out riding, and we are still shooting for the nominal 42 PSI, then I would fill the tire to 37 PSI.

The goal is basically to get the same amount of air in the tire at any ambient temperature.

Either that or just put air into the tire until the bottom is about the same shape as the top.  :o

Brian

Well lucky for me I live in the PNW, we haven't broke low 80's at all this year...  :(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 03:33:41 AM »
I have a digital roadgear gauge. I just put 42 psi cold no matter what the temp is and hit the road ;)

+1  It ain't rocket science.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
Street tire pressure ratings are always cold.  They only time when you would adjust pressures for hot tires (other than outside ambient air corrections) is when you are using race tires that are intended to be heat cycled - there is a significant difference between hot and cold temperatures and they are intentionally kept hot for grip.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
On my 09 the pressure goes up as i ride and if i run through a set of twisties the pressure goes up and then goes back down on a straight section ... according to the dash read out.
are you sayin that the computer compensates for the tire warming up?
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »
Of course the temperature will go up when you ride aggressively and down when you straighten out.  I'm not sure why the TPS would adjust itself for temperature, other than for internal calibration.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »
I usually run my Road Pilot 2's at abt 41 lbs. when the tires are warm according to the Tire Pressuse Sensors which by the way agree with my digital read out tire pressure guage.   I find if I fill them to abt 39 lbs in the morning after a few miles of riding they come right up to abt 41 when the tires warm up and the bike seems to handle fine.

Fred

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »

Well lucky for me I live in the PNW, we haven't broke low 80's at all this year...  :(

:o
I live in North Texas and today is the 31st day in a row over 100! Supposed to hit at least 108 later this week. Needless to say, I'm limiting my riding to before 10:00 am.

I put 42 in my tires "cold", but with the nightly temp only getting down to about 84, that's not exactly the correct way to describe it. My onboard sensors read about 2-3 psi lower than my gauges (quality digital).
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
:o
I live in North Texas and today is the 31st day in a row over 100! Supposed to hit at least 108 later this week. Needless to say, I'm limiting my riding to before 10:00 am.

I put 42 in my tires "cold", but with the nightly temp only getting down to about 84, that's not exactly the correct way to describe it. My onboard sensors read about 2-3 psi lower than my gauges (quality digital).
This is a good example of what BDF was explaining.  Since you are filling the tires at about 20F above the "cold standard", you would need to put approximately 44psi in the tires to have the same amount of air in the tire as 42psi at 65F (or 68F - I've seen both used as the stated "cold" temp).

Air expands as it is heated.  More expansion = more psi.  More air mass (volume? I regularly misuse the words) = more psi.  The TPS in essence calculates the air mass by comparing psi & temp, and reports it as a compensated psi figure.  If the air in the tires was perfectly dry and the display resolved 10ths of a psi, the display would be pretty constant.  As with any electromechanical device, it is possible to have an inaccurate unit, but the tech is pretty accurate for the most part.  The more moisture in the air in the tires, the more the pressure rise curve is affected as the tires warm up.  IE, if your TPS moves a lot between hot and cold, you probably have a lot of moisture in your tires.

It may not be rocket science, but it is science & physics.  A lot of riders seem to struggle with the concept.  Since I have confirmed that my TPS matches my gauges at 65F, I set the pressure cold to target a 42 readout on the TPS.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
tire and oil threads are always epic
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »
42 cold front, 42 cold rear.

want to know what they are at various "operating" temps, pop on a set of chicken hawk racing warmers.  but who cares?????????????  42 cold 42 cold for the street.

tire warmers:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I always run 42 front & rear cold. I know that it changes when the tire temp goes up  but the post I was talking was a good read and I just wanted to reread it, I guess no one has a copy of it.
Could of went all day with out hearing
It ain't rocket science.
Makes one think they asked a  DUMB question >:(

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
Does any other bike have front tire spec'd for 42 psi? Every other bike I have owned was spec's for 36 psi front or at least a few pounds lower than the rear spec. I don't run 42 front because I feel its wrong to run same psi front and rear. And I feel my results have been good as far as mileage and handling.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
It did not strike me as a dumb question. As to the comment about it not being rocket science, neither is rocket science if you choose to look at it in a simplistic manner. ‘Fire on the bottom make rocket go up’ is a true statement as long as one is not trying to actually design a rocket. The physics going on in the gasses inside a tire can be quite complex but of course it is not practical to do scientific studies and collect endless data to fill a vehicle’s tire. On the other side of the coin, just about all of us use some type of gauge to try to put some known 'amount' of air into our tires; this is science all by itself and proves that most people do care how ‘full’ their tires really are.

Whatever works for the owner of the bike works for me.  ;)   I find it easy enough to add or subtract a few pounds based on the outside, ambient temperature to at least get within reason of the correct tire pressure and posted the method I use in an earlier post. For those who choose not to do that, great. For those who do not believe it makes any difference, also great.

Brian

Thanks for the replies, I always run 42 front & rear cold. I know that it changes when the tire temp goes up  but the post I was talking was a good read and I just wanted to reread it, I guess no one has a copy of it.
Could of went all day with out hearing
It ain't rocket science.
Makes one think they asked a  DUMB question >:(
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Flathead

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
Reminds me of this  ;D ;D ;D

http://youtu.be/THNPmhBl-8I

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »