Author Topic: New Pirelli Angels but a Problem HELP  (Read 9949 times)

Offline jailcop

New Pirelli Angels but a Problem HELP
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:08:13 PM »
Got the new tires on today Pirelli Angel ST’s but now I’ve noticed a problem. At between 38 and 50 MPH there is a vibration in the bars (I call it head shake). If you let go of the bars they will wobble back and forth. Not enough to cause a tank slapper but it’s annoying. With your hands on the bars you feel the vibration. Could this be air pressure?? I was in a hurry so I couldn’t go back to the dealer today. I did notice that the front tire pressure (according to the bike monitor) says 35Psi rear is 41. Got home just in time to beat the rain so I can’t change the pressure now but could this be the problem. Never had this on this bike and this is the 3rd set of tires. First Pirelli’s though.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: New Pirelli Angels but a Problem HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
35 PSI shouldn't be enough to cause that much vibration, I would guess that the tire isn't balanced properly or the dealer didn't tighten down your axle. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline con05

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
How many miles on the bke? When was the last time you had the steering head tightened?  Not uncommon with new tires to find out it is time to service the steering head.
Silver 2011 C-14

Offline jailcop

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
How many miles on the bke? When was the last time you had the steering head tightened?  Not uncommon with new tires to find out it is time to service the steering head.
9000 miles. Not sure if it was ever done.

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »
If it wasn't there before you took it in for tires, it is related to the tires or installation. Take it back to the installer, ask them to re-balance. Check axle nut is properly tightened. If neither, could be a bad tire. It happens. In any event, your insatller should help.

At 9000 miles, not likely the steering head, but wouldn't hurt to check.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
Mine was loose from the get-go so it being 'loose' from the plant is not out of the realm of possibilities here.  But definitely, a new tire can show up issues with the head bearings.  A 'bad' tire can do that as well, though.  Had one on a C10 that exhibited similar symptoms.  Those symptoms went away after it was replaced.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
You might also double check that the bead seated all the way around on both sides of the tire.  If they got in a hurry and didn't use enough tire lube, it could still seal but not seat.  That would cause a wobble.

Also take a look to see if they lined up the red dots on the tire with the valve stem.  I did that on mine, and never had to move the wheel weight from the previous tire.

Since front tires are pretty narrow in width, if it's out of balance side to side, then it's probably a bad tire.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 08:19:31 PM »
 :offtopic:

Hey Jim, I finally got it (your signature / catch phrase).  Guess I've been a little slow lately...   :)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2834.msg35107#msg35107
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
Ah....Grasshopper..you are learning...soon you will be able to snatch the rock out of my hand.  And then, you can have my job.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »
Ah....Grasshopper..you are learning...soon you will be able to snatch the rock out of my hand.  And then, you can have my job.

Ahh, umm, no thanks.  Keymaster of the loony bin?  Not sure there is enough praise to get me to do that.  Glad you're doing it, because I would be punting the riff raff left and right.

Keep up the good work.   :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 03:55:25 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline con05

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 06:18:12 PM »
Do all of the above. You will find the root cause. Both times I had  issues with isolation it bearings needed adjustment.
Silver 2011 C-14

Offline jailcop

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
Finally had to a chance to take the bike for a ride tonight. First I pumped the tire pressure up to 41 in the front it was at 34. The head shake is still there. I also noticed on the highway at 60 it’s more like a vibration. You feel it in the bars but if you let go they won’t really wobble like at low speeds. Also when you lean into a corner the feeling is still there. I’m going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow. I checked everything else I could out and all looks correct, I think it’s either a bad tire or incorrect balance. The weights are on there and nothing seems to me out of round. Steering head bearing is a possibility but I don’t think so because of the way it feels at 60+.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 03:32:45 AM »
Probably a bad tire then.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:59 AM »
Mine was loose from the get-go so it being 'loose' from the plant is not out of the realm of possibilities here.  But definitely, a new tire can show up issues with the head bearings.  A 'bad' tire can do that as well, though.

+1. After I mounted my Angel's I noticed an unsettling oscilation at high speed. Tires were perfect, they just had a different damping than the OEM stones, thich was masking a not correctly tighten stem bearing.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline martindf

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 07:47:38 AM »
Just finished a 425 mile Sunday ride up to western N.Y. 97 .41.31. Rio Dam rd.old Plank Rd. Hartwood club Rd.48 South.Oakland vally Rd.Kennel Rd.Brandt Rd. back to 209 then South. Neversink Dr.Then back to P J .Then back to Long Island. There was some of the nicest roads I have been on this year so far. Back to the Angels .Great tires not a slip or any complaints at all .Back is gone away and new set will be here tomorrow.M

Offline jailcop

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »
So I took to bike to another dealer (owned by the same company) to have my tires checked out. They found the front tire was ¾ of an ounce off, thought great that’s the problem. No, the bike still shakes and wobbles. I went to the other dealer on the advice of the one that did the work because it’s closer but not a Kawasaki dealer. So now they want it down there, OK that’s fine except there 45 miles away and I really am uneasy about the way this thing rides and handles. The worse part is they want it for a few days so not only do I have to drop it off but I have to find a ride home(or have it taken on a roll back). At least I work this weekend so I won’t be able to ride.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
i would take all the weights off and try that. Thats what cured mine.
Personal experience with exact same problem tells me you got bad balance job.
Yes you can even get 2 bad balance jobs  in a row.

Offline jailcop

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »
i would take all the weights off and try that. Thats what cured mine.
Personal experience with exact same problem tells me you got bad balance job.
Yes you can even get 2 bad balance jobs  in a row.
The only weight on the front tire now is a 1/4 ounce.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »
The only weight on the front tire now is a 1/4 ounce.
well why dont you pull it and see if it gets better or worse?
 You could mark the spot and put it back  if it got worse but i suspect it will smooth out ..Also go back to recomended PSI.  The lower pressures seem to amplify out of balance  errors.