Author Topic: How does the Stebel HF80 compare to the Nautilus?  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
How does the Stebel HF80 compare to the Nautilus?
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
I am getting ready for my trip to DC and this will probably be the most traffic I have ever dealt with while riding a bike, so I want to make sure I have a good horn that will get attention if needed.  I had a Nautilus on my last bike and loved it, but I was wondering if the HF80 was a better alternative.  Is it as loud?  I don't mind mounting the nautilus but if the HF80 is just as loud then I will go that route since they mount in the stock location.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline JhVenezuela

Re: How does the Stebel HF80 compare to the Nautilus?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:52:10 AM »
Here in my town i use my Vstrom for commute. I used the Nautilus but six month ago i installed
the stebel HF80 (I had stebel HF80 in my connie). the traffic is a chaos here and i prefer the sound of the Stebel HF80.
IMO the cars drivers listen better this one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:18:57 AM by JhVenezuela »

Offline PhantomBlade

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
I'm not super impressed with the HF80. It's better than stock but not as good as the nautilus.
2017 C-14 ABS Blue(Duh it's Faster)Rostra Cruise, Area P Full Exhaust, Pathfinder LED headlights, switch backs, Puig Shield,
LIN3 Aux Brake Lights, Seth Laam seat, Garmin 395lm, Phil’s rack, GiVi 56L Maxia  4, 2” risers, T-Rex tip over protection, HJC R-PHA helmet, Scala Rider Pack Talk Bold, and more to come

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:03:52 PM »
Yeah, I made up my mind after hearing the HF80 on youtube (I don't have speakers on my computer at work because of government cutbacks  ;D).  The Nautilus is definitely the winner. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:18:46 AM »
I used the Nautilus but six month ago i installed the stebel (I had stebel in my connie).

The Nautilus *is* a Stebel.  Your posting doesn't make any sense!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
The Nautilus *is* a Stebel.  Your posting doesn't make any sense!

I noticed that also, but just decided to to listen to an HF80 on youtube and it was pretty anemic IMO. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »
I noticed that also, but just decided to to listen to an HF80 on youtube and it was pretty anemic IMO.

Well, of course you can't really tell much from listening to a recording as far as how much sound pressure there is.  Just gives you a feeling for the "tone".  I am sure the HF80 magnetic is much better than the stock, wimpy, single, magnetic horn.  But I doubt any magnetic horn can hold a candle to an air horn- even a compact one like the Nautilus.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 06:32:07 AM »
Not to Hijack, but one time I bought a set of Fiamm Highway Blasters from Aerostitch and those things were really loud.  Sounded just like an auto, but louder.  I'm running the Nautilas right now, but I sometimes wish I got the Fiamms.  Loudest horn I ever heard.  I think that sometimes they fudge on the decibels.
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »
Not to Hijack, but one time I bought a set of Fiamm Highway Blasters from Aerostitch and those things were really loud.  Sounded just like an auto, but louder.  I'm running the Nautilas right now, but I sometimes wish I got the Fiamms.  Loudest horn I ever heard.  I think that sometimes they fudge on the decibels.

The problem with just "decibels" is that it is a totally meaningless number without knowing the distance and the frequencies.   Sound pressure goes down to the square of the distance.  And the human ear perceives different frequencies with much different volume levels.  Finally, different frequencies travel and penetrate differently, affecting what one might hear inside a closed, target vehicle.

Offline AaronJM

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
I started with a Nautilus but wasn't ready to do the modifications necessary to mount it, I ended up with the 80's mounted in the same fashion as the OEM. (I think it was Roland who had the great how to on the original forum) There is a clear difference  between the 80's and the Nautlius but the improvement with the 80's compared to stock was so great, I have been satisfied with them.
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

W.B. Yeats

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:52:34 AM »
I started with a Nautilus but wasn't ready to do the modifications necessary to mount it, I ended up with the 80's mounted in the same fashion as the OEM. (I think it was Roland who had the great how to on the original forum) There is a clear difference  between the 80's and the Nautlius but the improvement with the 80's compared to stock was so great, I have been satisfied with them.

Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
The problem with just "decibels" is that it is a totally meaningless number without knowing the distance and the frequencies.   Sound pressure goes down to the square of the distance.  And the human ear perceives different frequencies with much different volume levels.  Finally, different frequencies travel and penetrate differently, affecting what one might hear inside a closed, target vehicle.

I agree... what it sounds like in real life and the sound pressure is what counts! :thumbs:

Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 06:33:43 AM »
I know the Nautilus will get a cager's attention, when I need it to.  I guess the biggest reason I didn't go with the HF-80 is because I used the Nautilus on my last bike and I know it works as advertised.  I didn't mind the extra hour of making a bracket and finding a spot to mount it.