Author Topic: Lousy Shifting  (Read 9316 times)

Offline jddetroit

Lousy Shifting
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »
My bike shifts miserably.

I was initially inclined to think that perhaps the oil I was using was the culprit, however after switching several times, I'm getting the same result.

The shifter is just VERY notchy, and not at all smooth. Almost like it clicks twice to engage a gear.  Downshifting is equally crappy.

On my hardly, I can mimic these symptoms when the clutch is out of adjustment, and simply adjust to smooth it out. 

No adjustment on a hydraulic clutch. (that I'm aware of)

I'm now looking at my master cylinder, and am thinking about flushing/bleeding to see if this helps.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues, and if this bleed/flush helped at all?

I suppose if this doesn't work, I'll take her in.  Just hate to do that, as the dealer will probably have it for 2 weeks.

thanks

JD
Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son.  I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man.  As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
-Frank Costanza

Offline So Cal Joe

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Lousy Shifting
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
warranty man will fix it.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
You might try one of these
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=463&osCsid=b9dfcf098ddd2f2ef739bf1670234c57

I put one of these shifter bearing kits on my bike, and it make a remarkable difference. Much more than I expected for sure.

Dave
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
I don't think adding the shifter mod will help.  Sounds like he's got a problem.  I would try flushing out the fluid first.  Don't run it dry, though, or you will be in for a heck of a time getting the air out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jddetroit

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely not the shift lever.
Oddly, at lunch, I remembered there are 'adjustments' on the clutch lever.  I set mine at 1, and it seemed to smooth out a bit, leading me to believe my culprit lies within that hydraulic system.
Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son.  I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man.  As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
-Frank Costanza

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:44:07 PM »
Oddly, at lunch, I remembered there are 'adjustments' on the clutch lever.  I set mine at 1, and it seemed to smooth out a bit, leading me to believe my culprit lies within that hydraulic system.

Glad to have you back.  What took so long?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jddetroit

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
I never left!  Just haven't posted much since the changeover.

I'm hoping to have a chance to get to that flush/bleed tonight.  Will post tomorrow, if it worked.
-JD
-Frank Costanza

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Quick update: it appears the erratic clutch operation was due to a totally dry clutch pivot point and clutch lever. I pulled it apart and it was dry as the proverbial bone. That was a bit surprising too because I tend to apply a bit of grease to the levers and pedals a couple of times per year. Maybe it was the extended riding in the rain the bike has been through recently that drove the grease out. Both levers and the shift pivot linkage were totally dry; a spot of grease and the clutch is working correctly again although with a slight 'creaking' when it is released slowly.

Brian

I am chasing a similar problem with the clutch. The free play is changing all the time and while I don't have any trouble shifting the bike, it changes the engagement point of the clutch and makes it hard to launch the bike. It is something in the hydraulic system almost certainly. I did have a similar thing happen before but it was always a big gain in free play when the bike was warm and that turned out to be a worn slave cylinder on the bike (replaced under warranty). I suspect this time it may be the master cylinder but will have to take a look inside to be sure. My bike does have a lot of miles on it though so a worn MC seal set would not be unexpected.

Brian

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:23:34 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:04:47 PM »
I actually have something similar happening to me but not very often.  It happens more when it's hot outside and I've been holding the clutch lever in for a bit and then let go.  If I let go of the lever too slowly it acts like the clutch is slipping and it makes a growling type noise.  Strange...  Fluid has been changed on a yearly basis and the oil is Mobil 1 MC oil.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
How many years on your fluid? I neglected the clutch fluid on my 99 VFR for so long that the the clutch started acting like you describe. Flushed and replaced the fluid and now all is well.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jddetroit

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 05:41:18 AM »
Fluid was original (08), and very dark.  Lots of what looked like rubber sediment in the mc.
With much cussing, and the aid of a beer, I think I got her bled out.  Slave cylinder bled easily, but the MC was a major pain!

Open the garage door to give her a test ride, and.....it's pouring..... >:(

Will determine if this fixed it within the next couple of days.
-Frank Costanza

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »

If we are talking about the same "adjustments", they are on both the clutch and the brake levers, but all they do is change the distance between the lever and the grip to account for the different hand and finger sizes of different riders. Adjustments here shouldn't change the play between the lever position and engagement.

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Do these Concours14's has clutch and transmission problems? Or is this the first case. Well I read two, but that fellow said he needed grease on his clutch lever bolt. (or something to that effect)
2005 Concours

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »
In answer to RiderRich, my 08 has no problems and shifts very nicely.  I have changed the clutch fluid once but it was just normal maintenance.  Be careful reinstalling the gasket on top of the reservoir.  It's easy to get it mis-aligned, then you get clutch fluid spraying on you as you go down the road.  DAMHIK

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
The following probably does not apply to your situation because you say the problem is in both up and down shifting. MY problem was hard or no downshifting only. What happened was I failed to properly tightened the shift linkage lock nut ( used only one wrench ). The locknut backed off and vibration caused the linkage to self adjust to the point there was not enough downward travel to complete a downshift. Downshifting got harder and harder until eventually I found myself stuck in 6th. I figured it out as soon as I got off the bike but for a few moments I though my tranny was fooked.

I think it is not possible to adjust the linkage such that both up and down shifts are affected but it would not hurt to check.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
Intersting because some folks would consider the inability to downshift just another <k-word> problem.

Brian

The following probably does not apply to your situation because you say the problem is in both up and down shifting. MY problem was hard or no downshifting only. What happened was I failed to properly tightened the shift linkage lock nut ( used only one wrench ). The locknut backed off and vibration caused the linkage to self adjust to the point there was not enough downward travel to complete a downshift. Downshifting got harder and harder until eventually I found myself stuck in 6th. I figured it out as soon as I got off the bike but for a few moments I though my tranny was fooked.

I think it is not possible to adjust the linkage such that both up and down shifts are affected but it would not hurt to check.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
Brain, you are right! It WAS a K-Word problem- indirectly... I just realized why I have gotten so forgetful  since owning my C14 (always forgetting to tighten fasteners). Kipass makes riding so stress free I have gotten mentally lazy! I always used to worry about losing my keys.  I used to wear a spare key on achain around my neck like Frodo and the Ring Of Doom. Now I am so relaxed ... I am TOO relaxed!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
Intersting because some folks would consider the inability to downshift just another <k-word> problem.

Brian

Brian, you are right! It WAS a K-Word problem- indirectly... I just realized why I have gotten so forgetful  since owning my C14 (always forgetting to tighten fasteners). Kipass makes riding so stress free I have gotten mentally lazy! I always used to worry about losing my keys.  I used to wear a spare key on achain around my neck like Frodo and the Ring Of Doom. Now I am so relaxed ... I am TOO relaxed!

You guys are great
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
All things are <k-word> problems, indirectly.

First humans thought the visible universe rotated around the Earth.
Then some discovered it seemed to rotate around the Sun (Heliocentric model).
Finally, we now know that the universe revolves around Akashi, Japan, where fobs are first mated to their respective C-14s.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  ;D

Brian

Brain, you are right! It WAS a K-Word problem- indirectly... I just realized why I have gotten so forgetful  since owning my C14 (always forgetting to tighten fasteners). Kipass makes riding so stress free I have gotten mentally lazy! I always used to worry about losing my keys.  I used to wear a spare key on achain around my neck like Frodo and the Ring Of Doom. Now I am so relaxed ... I am TOO relaxed!