Author Topic: LARGE WINDSHIELDS  (Read 15845 times)

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
LARGE WINDSHIELDS
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
Hello
 I 'm back with a new 09 and its great.
BUT have to get a new windshiled, the oem as everyone says is no good.
I am getting a very tall one, about 6 inches or more, I'm 6'2''
Questionis of 7Jurock, Cee Bailey ,and Cal sci, who like what and why.
They all look good.
Saw some banter some where about quality on Calsci.
Cee Bailey seems to be the industry standard.
BUT.... 7Jurock seems to be the biggest, &  best pricing
thanxs for your thoughts
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: LARGE WINDSHIELDS
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »
I have a CalSci Large but have not tried any others as this came with the bike so I can't speak to those. The CalSci seems to be fine on quality though.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:45:50 PM »
I just picked up a Cee Bailey's Ultra tour and I love it. I am 6'1" and it provides great coverage. With the windscreen all the way up I can see over it easily or I could just drop my chin a little and have a clear view through it. The width is great too. I wouldn't say your hands would stay dry in a rain storm, but still great coverage from buffeting. I am a little broad shouldered and I just am impressed with the screen. I had a Euro tour from Cee Bailey's and it wasn't cutting the mustard. If I was less than 6 ft I think the Euro tour would have been awesome, but I ain't and you ain't. Cee Bailey's screens are great products. I have running one on my HD Road Glide through the winter months for a few years and it just holds up to gravel and rock pings. I just like them. Good luck with your farkeling! :)

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
Dude, are you putting a SAIL in the front of your bike??  Couple of inches are enough to do the job.

;D
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »
I am 6'2" and about 260 so I needed both height and width for protection and my Cee Bailey Ultratour does it just fine with good quality.  I have had it two seasons and it's still clear after removing lots of bugs and some grime.  I also got to see how it would do in the rain last week when I got caught in a thunderbuster and I stayed remarkably dry.  I did add hand wings for the cold weather and got the side benefit of keeping my gloves pretty dry in the rain.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:23:32 PM »
I'm also 6'2" and I have the V-Stream and love it.  At the low position I get air in my face, but its totally clean air, no buffeting at all.  Makes it really nice on warm days.  All the way up it blow clear over my head.  I don't think I would want anything taller. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »
I'm also 6'2" and I have the V-Stream and love it.  At the low position I get air in my face, but its totally clean air, no buffeting at all.  Makes it really nice on warm days.  All the way up it blow clear over my head.  I don't think I would want anything taller.

Same here, I am 6'2'' and I really like my Vstream, it looks nice too.  I am not a fan of the huge windshields, but it might be something that works well for you.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »
+1 on everyone that said ultra tour.  It works great for me at 6'2", I did 1000+ mile days with it and was GLAD to have this big shield on this behemoth bike!~

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »
I still like the CalSci for the lack of buffeting and lack of back pressure.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »
I still like the CalSci for the lack of buffeting and lack of back pressure.

zero with the ultra tour too. to say it blows the wind over one's head when raised is an understatement
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:41:46 AM »
I have a smaller windshield though. Mine is the +4 i believe. Once of their smaller ones.  ;D

Offline august

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
I have the C Bailey ultra, the largest Cal Sci, and the V Stream.

I switch between them fairly often, and in my opinion the V Stream does the best for me.

Regards August
A married man should forget all of his mistakes, there is no reason for two people to remember them.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 01:53:11 PM »
I am using a Calsci +6 (older windshield, the new 'extra large' is nearly + 7) and it is not tall enough to keep the wind noise out of my helmet. I ended up putting a MRA visor on top of the Calsci and the combination works well but it is kinda' ugly and hard to clean under the visor. The visor is close to 9 inches higher than the stock windshield and I still look over it.

Try ducking down as you ride down the road and try to decide where the 'sweet spot' is for you and then try to find a windshield that is as much taller than stock as the distance you have to duck.

For tall people I always recommend the tallest windshield you can get, which is the Jurock I believe (Australian windshield, something like 8 1/2" higher than stock?). And if you end up with a windshield that is too tall it can be cut down while one that is too short is much tougher to do anything with.

Brian

Hello
 I 'm back with a new 09 and its great.
BUT have to get a new windshiled, the oem as everyone says is no good.
I am getting a very tall one, about 6 inches or more, I'm 6'2''
Questionis of 7Jurock, Cee Bailey ,and Cal sci, who like what and why.
They all look good.
Saw some banter some where about quality on Calsci.
Cee Bailey seems to be the industry standard.
BUT.... 7Jurock seems to be the biggest, &  best pricing
thanxs for your thoughts
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
I have the C Bailey ultra, the largest Cal Sci, and the V Stream.

I switch between them fairly often, and in my opinion the V Stream does the best for me.

Regards August

+1 for the V-Stream... I really like mine.
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:05:12 PM »
This slide show may help, I'm 5' - 10" and this is the Cee Baileys "Ultra-tour".

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc213/philipintexas/Cee%20Bailey%20Ultra%20Tour/?action=view&current=44461645.pbw
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline jsd

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »
Another +1 on the V-Stream. I went through Calsci, Ultra tour and 7jrock before getting the V-stream. I like the quiet, lack of buffeting I have thought about putting a vent in for the 90 + days.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »
This is turning out  almost like an oil thread

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »
I have a VStream for summer/spring weather... a 7Jurock maxed out vertically and +2 sides for winter/fall.  I like the combo... the 7J doesn't flop around as much as the VS does in heavy winds... but the VS doesn't get grabbed by the wind like the 7J does.

They both do what I bought them for... more air movement nice and quiet, VS... less air nice and quiet, 7J.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 06:46:15 PM »
I've got the Kawi tall on my 09 and love it, all the way down and I get nice airflo in the face, all the way up and rain doesn't hit my helmet shield, and it looks good IMO, not too barn door'sh...

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
This is turning out  almost like an oil thread

Yeah but at least there has been some good information. It almost makes me want to go out and buy a Ultra Tour.  :o I gotta stop. lol