Author Topic: Intro and a couple questions  (Read 5287 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Intro and a couple questions
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »
Hey friends,
I just picked up a new '09 last friday. It was an E-bay deal that went very well except for the long ass drive to go pick it up!
I have been riding a 650 V-Strom for the last 3 years along with an old DR-350 for playing in the dirt. I was wanting something a bit more comfy and with a lot more excitement in the throttle. So far, the comfy part has been a bit of a fail compared to my V. I'll do the bar risers and maybe the wedges in a few weeks. I have a set of Grip Puppies already on the way. I am following the manuals break-in recommendations for the most part. I accidentally revved over the 4k range once for just a second or two. Who am I kidding, it was on purpose!!!

So far, my two biggest gripes are the mirrors and the inferno of heat blasting my legs. I know a lot of guys here will slam me for it, but from time to time, I like to ride in t-shirt and shorts. These trips are generally short ones like post office or grab a gallon of milk at the grocery store. It has never been an issue on my V but this Connie is hot! I rode to the FedEx store to send some of my paperwork back to the dealer for processing my title. It was pretty hot out so I expected a little heat but half the time I had to ride with my legs out away from the bike to keep from burning them. At least that is the way it was feeling. I just came in from about a 30 mile ride with long pants and my legs were still cooking pretty good. Any fixes for this?
As far as the mirrors go, I just can't see anything directly behind me. Side vision is fine although it will take a while to get used to looking down that low to see in the mirrors. Has anyone added mirrors to the bars and not ended up looking hideous?

Can't wait to really open this thing up. Just the little taste I am getting while keeping it under 4K is making it tough to wait.

When looking to buy, I noticed there were truckloads of '08s for sale and quite a few '10s and '11s but '09s seem few and far between. Any reason for this known?

Thanks guys,
Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Bourne2Ride

Re: Intro and a couple questions
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »
Congratulations on the '09 and welcome to the forums. I pounded on mine a couple of times in the first 600 miles. I mostly observed the 4K and 6K recommendation, and to be honest OD at 4K is 80-85 MPH. I was good with that.
Enjoy figuring out the next farkle you want to buy, and keep the shinny side up!
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline leisyman

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »
I subscribe to the theory that you should ride it like you are going to ride it always, not to baby the bike.  My son is an EFI tuner and recommends that to all folks with new engines.  The engine has already been through its original run-in at the factory.
With my 08 I  changed the oil twice, like every 500 miles for the first thousand miles to be sure the itty bitty bits of initial break-in wear are cleaned out.

And, shame on you for wearing shorts while riding ;D :P. did you know that the majority of accidents on bikes are within 5 miles of home? Done preaching.

as for the heat, i don't have any issues on my 08. Riding around this year in 80-90 degree heat here in Colorado, and the tank cover gets a bit warm, but no leg issues. maybe i got lucky with mine. My hardley was a different story around town, cooking legs is what it does best..........besides going slow :chugbeer:

I also think the mirrors are some of the best i've ever used, at least you can see through them without vibration, quite unlike my hardley mirrors, which are a total waste.
looking over the top of the saddlebags thru the mirrors gives me a sense of depth in relation to the vehicles behind me.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:19:50 AM by leisyman »

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
There are several fixes for the heat issue, ZSteve sells panels for the lower fairing that block most of the heat.  You can also get some heat reflective material and put it between the tank and the frame.  For the mirrors you can buy some stick on convex mirrors to help with the blind spots.  Or you can see if it is better once you put your risers on (I noticed a big improvement).  Hope that helps, if you do a search you will reveal enough information to get you pointed in the right direction.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 05:21:40 AM »
There are several fixes for the heat!
  The heat seems to be a personal thing, after having a 750 nighthawk which felt hot to me, the C14 doesnt seem to be any hotter.
Also whether or not your in stop and go traffic or out cruising along.

After i put some Murph's bar risers on i was way more comfortable and can ride for the duration of a tank of gas now.

i have my left mirror set more for looking at the adjacent lane and the right mirror adjusted for behind me. This combo seems to work
really well for me. I have ridden with the saddlebags on and off, I dont see that they block anything important.  No car is going to hide
in the blindspot that they create ... at least not in my opinion.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline vortex2

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 06:15:47 AM »
Just ride fast enough that you never need your mirrors....... :D

Seriously, they aren't that bad. Plenty of bikes I have had were worse.
Kawasaki did fix them nicely in '10.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »
The comfort is a personal thing, it may take some time but you will find your happy place...  when I first got mine I couldn't ride it for more then 50 miles before I was in agony  (Note that didn't STOP me from riding it LOL)   For me the fix was...

1) Bar Risers
2) Grip Puppies
3) Russel Day Long Saddle

I have a Sergeant seat for it that I tried, and with an Airhawk it was much better then stock (Rode to Miami and back) but not as good as the Russell  IMHO.   But as I said it's a personal thing,  There is a gentleman on this very forum who didn't like the Russel but finds that a Corbin with an Airhawk is perfect for him

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new steed

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 07:40:22 AM »
Heat can be one of "those" issues, so don't be surprised if someone chimes in saying it's your imagination or you'll get used to it or not to worry about it because it's no worse than their insert other bike here as though the heat from one of their other bikes actually means anything to you.  Some people feel that if they don't perceive an issue, then there isn't one.  A friend of mine has an '08 and he never really thought it was that big of a deal, so I guess it's either just a personal thing or bike specific.  I had the same issue with heat on my '09 enough that when I was riding all I could think about was the heat on my leg.  It was cooking my leg to the point that I'd have red spots that were sore to the touch for a couple of hours after getting off the bike and I always wear long pants (usually jeans) when riding.  What I did was add a set of ZSteve's heat panels and reflective heat shielding under the tank.  For my bike (or at least for my perception) it was the difference between night and day; even in 100 degree weather, I don't think about the heat from the bike anymore and no more red legs.  I hope you get it sorted out, because it's a great bike and when you're riding it, you should be enjoying the ride...not thinking about how uncomfortable you are.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
I know a lot of guys here will slam me for it, but from time to time, I like to ride in t-shirt and shorts. These trips are generally short ones like post office or grab a gallon of milk at the grocery store.

Welcome and congrats!!!

Add me to the "slammers"....  It is your body, if you want to do something as insanely stupid as riding without proper gear (long heavy pants, boots, gloves, full face helmet, and armored riding jacket), then it is only you who will lose in the end.  I will point out that, statistically, most accidents happen a short distance from home.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C14THUNDER

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »
I noticed heat on my 08 for the first 1000 miles or break in period.  Also Noticed that with the oem windscreen and the Balieys mini euro in certain positions I feel heat from the bike...but with the Balieys ULTRA TOUR never a thought even the other day at 99 here in FL.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »
Welcome Matt and congrats!  :chugbeer:

I remember going through the break-in period as well, just waiting, and waiting, and...   :banghead:

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »
Welcome Matt and congrats!  :chugbeer:

I remember going through the break-in period as well, just waiting, and waiting, and...   :banghead:

For my break-in period, I attended a couple of poker runs with the local Harley boys. It put on the miles and I was never able to get the bike out of 3rd...

Offline jayke

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »
Kawasaki motors are really tight. The first hundred miles on mine in 90+ heat were brutal.  As the engine breaks in the heat pouring off the bike goes down. I wouldn't say it goes totally away though.

You can buy  Zsteve’s heat shields off Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-/280713456598?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415bd36bd6

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
For my break-in period, I attended a couple of poker runs with the local Harley boys. It put on the miles and I was never able to get the bike out of 3rd...

So I'm guessing you were lugging the engine most of the time "keeping up" with the Hardly boyz . . .

Offline TonyR

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:28:08 PM »
Matt,
Welcome to the forum.
The best solution I found for the heat problems was this: http://www.jcwhitney.com/heat/sound-insulation/p2010475.jcwx?filterid=j1
I removed the tank and cover the bottom of the tank with it. Works great.
I did get the Zsteve's heat shields and found they just redirected the heat up. I thought my glove box was going to melt, so I removed them.

Another solution... twist the wrist... above 4000 RPM (on any gear), the heat will be the last issue you'll think about :)

Tony

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 09:36:44 PM »

Both the heat issue and mirror issues were improved in '10-'11 models. But there are many soltuions to help with the '08-'09 posted on many threads of this forum.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine