Author Topic: Pirelli Angels ST rear with 1mm of tread above tread wear indicators  (Read 9277 times)

Offline Haroldo_PSF

Hi all,

I hate to waste tires. I am again faced with the new tire dillema. I currently have about 4500 miles on my Pirelli Angels STs. The rear has about 1mm of tread ABOVE the tread wear indicators.

I have a 4 day ride coming up next week where we will do about 1400 miles of twisty back roads, no freeway.

I am inclined to rock these tires based on the following logic:

- last year I had the same amount of tread left on a Avon VP2 sport tire. Pure sport rubber. By the end of that trip, the tire was bald, and it had a total of about 2000 miles on it. This time, I have the same amount of tread depth, however, this time it is a sport touring compound, so I'm believing I have enough.

So, scientifically speaking  ;D , what are your thoughts?

PS: if I get stuck with my tires on its cords during this trip, I hold no one guilty due to their opinions.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Pirelli Angels ST rear with 1mm of tread above tread wear indicators
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »
Haroldo, good to see you back! I would probably change the tires but that is just my opinion- best of luck either way. But please do share any tire changing stories you may generate along the way.....

[img]http://zggtr.org/Smileys/default/ROTFLMAO.gif[img]  two times.

Brian

Hi all,

I hate to waste tires. I am again faced with the new tire dillema. I currently have about 4500 miles on my Pirelli Angels STs. The rear has about 1mm of tread ABOVE the tread wear indicators.

I have a 4 day ride coming up next week where we will do about 1400 miles of twisty back roads, no freeway.

I am inclined to rock these tires based on the following logic:

- last year I had the same amount of tread left on a Avon VP2 sport tire. Pure sport rubber. By the end of that trip, the tire was bald, and it had a total of about 2000 miles on it. This time, I have the same amount of tread depth, however, this time it is a sport touring compound, so I'm believing I have enough.

So, scientifically speaking  ;D , what are your thoughts?

PS: if I get stuck with my tires on its cords during this trip, I hold no one guilty due to their opinions.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
Hey Haroldo! Yeah, don't take chances and cheap out on your tires. A long trip is not the time to push the limit to save a couple of bucks. Of course your famous for pushing the limit!  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »
Limits are meant to be pushed, and bike tires are meant to be rocked on the SIDES.

My vote is rock those sweet Angels on the sides of the tires and push the limits of that tire TO THE HILT 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
I got 6k on two Angel rear tires and they were touching the wear bars.

I for one would probably push it, I did with my Shinko 009's July4th weekend on a 1200 mile trip and the tire was into the wear bar when I got home but no where near the cord.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
I'm going home now to take penny pictures of the tires. Be right back.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »
Tough call,  I would change them but then again I'm anal about tires and brakes (Yanno, the little things that can really ruin your day if they aren't working right :) )

I figure money is cheaper then skin :(

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
1400 miles ain't much, I think you will make it. But I would find out where the closest place to get a new tire just in case. Another option that I used is to pull the old tire and save it for future use.
FWIW I got 7800 out of my first Angel rear and 4599 out of the second.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
I am in the same boat with my rear PR2.  I have about 3mm down the middle and on the right side and 1.5 mm on the left side.  I think I will change it for peace of mind before my 2000+ mile trip to DC.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:50 PM »
As I stuck the penny on the middle tread, I realized how shallow it was... It didn't even come close to touching Lincon's head.

I just called my dealer and had my third set of Angels ordered, this time a 190/55 instead of the usual 50.

I just don't want to be thinking about bald tires at all in this trip, so for piece of mind sakes, I'll change them.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
As I stuck the penny on the middle tread, I realized how shallow it was... It didn't even come close to touching Lincon's head.

I just called my dealer and had my third set of Angels ordered, this time a 190/55 instead of the usual 50.

I just don't want to be thinking about bald tires at all in this trip, so for piece of mind sakes, I'll change them.

190/55
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »
Great- let us know how that 190/55 works out for you. It is a great test when the same person has used the same brand of tire on the same bike and only changed the aspect ratio.

My rear tire is getting thin in the middle too and I am in a quandary over what to do. I actually have more choices than you mentioned.... I can keep riding these tires (worn but not yet shot), replace them with another set of PR2s or replace them with a set of PR3s. Trying out a set of PR3s would be great except that I really like PR2s and have doubts that the -3s are an improvement on dry roads. What to do.....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »
I'm funny about tires.  I want good ones on my bike and don't like the prospects of riding on cords.  But it's your bike and your ass.....

Great- let us know how that 190/55 works out for you. It is a great test when the same person has used the same brand of tire on the same bike and only changed the aspect ratio.
I just put a 190/55 on my bike last week.  Same tire as the previous two except the ratio (Michelin PR2).  I've ridden with it once and so far I really like it.  This Saturday will be a better ride and I'll report back.  There will be a disclaimer, as there already is.  Any time you replace a worn tire with a new tire it feels a lot better even if its an identical tire.  I'll try to keep that in mind as I get a feel for it this weekend.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline overthehill

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »
[b]190/55's.  YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!.  They are awesome.  It is a different bike.  Turn in becomes seamless.  I am amazed at what a small difference in size makes for in handling.  WAY TO GO!! :chugbeer:
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »

My rear tire is getting thin in the middle too and I am in a quandary over what to do. I actually have more choices than you mentioned.... I can keep riding these tires (worn but not yet shot), replace them with another set of PR2s or replace them with a set of PR3s. Trying out a set of PR3s would be great except that I really like PR2s and have doubts that the -3s are an improvement on dry roads. What to do.....

Brian

Give the 3 a try Brian, I think you'll like it!  :thumbs:

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
I ordered new tires, but I still am on the fence. Take a look, wouldn't you say there is easily still another 1500 miles of hard riding in this, or is it cutting close?

ah, the new tire before trip dillema...

These tires have about 5000 miles of non-fun commuting miles on them (light throttle)

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »
I thought the penny trick was only for car tires.  Get a proper tread depth gauge.  Remeber the gov't issued that penny so chances are it's a low bid operation.  ;D

Form the people I've know with Angels the tire really disappears lightning fast when they get close to the end.

This is the beauty of changing your own tires.  Put new ones on for your trip, then toss the old ones back on when you get home and use them up.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »
Haroldo, I would say that you have 1500 miles worth of twisties left in those tires.  As long as you don't have a ton of slab to contend with you should be good.  But new tires will make your trip through the twisties more fun and less worrisome.  Just my 2 cents.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Canada44

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 12:41:01 PM »
I am in the same situation, I am leaving on a 2500 mile trip and am thinking about changing the rear. I have 5600 miles on my Angels.  I have about the same tread left on my rear tire as Haroldo. The front is still in good shape, I am thinking of going with another Angel but going to 190/55 instead of the 190/50.

Off next week August 4 for 7 days of twisties, Riding Washington (Mt Rainer and and Mt St Helens) Oregon (John Day overnight), Grangeville Idaho (overnight,) Lewiston ID  2 night - riding Lolo Hwy 12, Old Sprial Hwy, Rattlesnake Canyon, then heading back north to Omak Wa (overnight).

have a great trip Haroldo

cheers
Paul
2010 ABS C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »
Haroldo, I would say that you have 1500 miles worth of twisties left in those tires.  As long as you don't have a ton of slab to contend with you should be good.  But new tires will make your trip through the twisties more fun and less worrisome.  Just my 2 cents.

+1

But I bet there's 1400 miles of slab left too