Author Topic: Helmet locks  (Read 23739 times)

Offline OregonLAN

Re: Helmet locks
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
I ordered one also.

I Was getting tired of having to unlock/open the saddlebag to store my helmet. The helmet loops, located under the seat, didn't work with my helmet without an extender, so I finally caved and ordered something that should have came with the bike to begin with...

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2011, 10:52:49 PM »
The helmet loops, located under the seat, didn't work with my helmet without an extender

??? What ????
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline OCK913

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »
My Projekt D helmet locks arrived today (actually yesterday, but I wasnt home and it needed a signature). But the reason for my post is that my locks are of the same style as my bike keys, meaning the offsets are on the same sides. I placed one of the Projekt D provided keys in my saddlebag lock and it goes in and out with ease. So ........ does that mean I can modify the helmet locks to match my bike keys? and if so ..... how?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »
My Projekt D helmet locks arrived today (actually yesterday, but I wasnt home and it needed a signature). But the reason for my post is that my locks are of the same style as my bike keys, meaning the offsets are on the same sides. I placed one of the Projekt D provided keys in my saddlebag lock and it goes in and out with ease. So ........ does that mean I can modify the helmet locks to match my bike keys? and if so ..... how?

I just checked mine after reading your post. Mine are opposite offsets.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »

I just checked mine.  The helmet key does, indeed, go right into the saddle luggage, which is surprising.  But the bike key will not go into the helmet lock.  The two keys are surprisingly similar- they are the same length to the shoulder, appear to be the same thickness, the offsets are the same.  The primary difference is that the bike key appears to be 5 cylinder and the helmet lock 4 cylinder... although I am certainly no key/lock expert.

It would be GREAT if the helmet lock could be rekeyed (and just match the first 4 cylinders), but since the bike key won't physically go into it, that is probably not an option.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jonathan

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »

Take it to a locksmith and get a professional opinion.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2011, 02:12:37 PM »

+1   that would be nice if it did.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
I think I will do just that. I'll ride by nd ask them what they think and post back the answer.
I mounted it all up today, pretty straight forward with no issues. When I first put it on though, I didn't like the chrome like finish showing down below my black Phil's rack. So I took it back off, scuffed it up some, and painted it black. Much better now.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2011, 04:49:33 AM »
I think I will do just that. I'll ride by nd ask them what they think and post back the answer.
I mounted it all up today, pretty straight forward with no issues. When I first put it on though, I didn't like the chrome like finish showing down below my black Phil's rack. So I took it back off, scuffed it up some, and painted it black. Much better now.

I kinda thought the same thing about mine. Then I thought, besides me, who's gonna bend down that low and look under there to see the 'chrome'? I left it as is.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline OCK913

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2011, 06:25:26 AM »
I kinda thought the same thing about mine. Then I thought, besides me, who's gonna bend down that low and look under there to see the 'chrome'? I left it as is.

Your right, but it was my day off and I had the black paint handy, so I figured why not, it wont take much effort. I removed the locks, scuffed up all sides of the bracket with some sandpaper, and shot it with some spray can flat black. Becasue it was nearly 100 degrees in Florida yesterday, I allowed it to bake out there for about 6 hours and then bolted it back up. So yeah, I guess you could say it took me over 6 hours to do what should have taken 5 minutes, but the end result is more to my liking.

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »
Do these only work on the OEM luggage rack? I have a Hepco Becker topcase and rack, so I'm wondering if that will be a problem.

-Burbs

Offline OCK913

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2011, 01:37:45 AM »
Do these only work on the OEM luggage rack? I have a Hepco Becker topcase and rack, so I'm wondering if that will be a problem.

-Burbs

I cant say one way or the other about your specific rack, but I use a Phil's Rack and it bolted up just fine. As long as your rack is straight along the bottom and doesnt do any funky dips, I think you should be OK.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2011, 05:12:49 AM »

-Burbs

I think that it will work with just about any rack out there.

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2011, 05:19:01 AM »
Thanks for answering my post.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
I think I will do just that. I'll ride by and ask them what they think and post back the answer.

Have you had a chance to do this? I'm hoping that this works.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
Have you had a chance to do this? I'm hoping that this works.

Yes i did. I went to a locksmith here locally and he said that yes, looking at the the keys and locks, that it should be possible. He said that I would need to bring in the locks and leave them with him before he coud give a 100% certain answer, but most likely it would be no problem.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
Yes i did. I went to a locksmith here locally and he said that yes, looking at the the keys and locks, that it should be possible. He said that I would need to bring in the locks and leave them with him before he coud give a 100% certain answer, but most likely it would be no problem.

If you plan to do that, please do get the details and keep us posted!  You also need to tell us the year of your bike (I think they keys are the same on all C-14's, but not positive).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 11:29:06 PM »
Would definitely be cool if you could rekey the locks to work with the bike key.  This Projekt D setup is one of the next farkles I plan to purchase.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2011, 04:57:14 AM »
If you plan to do that, please do get the details and keep us posted!  You also need to tell us the year of your bike (I think they keys are the same on all C-14's, but not positive).

I don't think that they are all the same, at least not the early C14s. I'm pretty sure that they have A and B keys and the difference is the offset of the key. My bike's key offest is different than the offset of the key for the locks.