Author Topic: 2008 C14 that went down; did anyone from here own it?  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
2008 C14 that went down; did anyone from here own it?
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
My dad is currently looking at a 2008 C14 that has been salvaged.  The bike has very little damage, the biggest thing is the lower plastics on the right side and the clutch cover has some rash and possibly knocked the sight window out.  So the issue is, if the sight window is gone so is all the oil.  The auction company says on the key tag that the bike runs and moves, if this is true that they ran it without oil then I will tell my dad to stay away.  But if the previous owner is a member here then maybe you can shed some light on this situation.  I don't have any pics to post but there are a couple of things to identify the bike.  Instead of the Concours 14 logo underneath the seat it has a big 14 it also had a tinted aftermarket shield (I think it is a Cee Baileys).  The rear tire is a PR2 and I believe the front is a Conti of some sorts.  Also it has 21,000 miles on it.  I would appreciate any help, because right now my dad is thinking about putting in a bid of $4,000.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Scaffolder

Re: 2008 C14 that went down; did anyone from here own it?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:47:11 AM »
For a salvage I would be bidding way lower. Like around $2000. I didn't see it, but mine was totaled and I almost bought it back for $1800 and sell it to the dealer for $2300. But when they gave me full replacement they took away that choice.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 09:23:52 AM »
Jeremy, NO WAY would I bid that much on a 'salvaged' bike.  There are too many uncertains.  1800 bucks is more in line.  IF there is a line of folks wanting that bike, I could MAYBE say you could bid a little higher.  It's salvaged for a reason.  So I'd be real careful about jumping too fast.

I know that's not the question you asked.  I don't know who's bike it is.  But I wouldn't pay that much money for a salvaged bike. 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »
Thanks for your input, I would still like to hear from the original owner if he is a member here.  I spoke to my dad and the bidding is all online similar to ebay.  He expects to get the bike for $3,000 or less since all the sport touring bikes that he has seen come through don't bring much money.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »
If the auction company garantees in writing that the bike runs you have recourse if after purchase this proves untrue. Are both fobs available with the bike? Can the bike be licensed where your Dad is at with a salvage title? Worst case he could part it out and probably double his money towards a different bike.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
I can't speak for your bike nor know of a way without starting it to tell if its been ran with no oil of course. As far as a wwrecked bike in general ,there can be minimal damage to a salvaged bike. 

Insurance companies jump all over "salvage" because of frame stress liabilities and such.  Friends of mine have been getting steals on salvaged bikes.  Some have the frames inspected and some don't even bother.

I can put you in touch with a company that does structural analysis on bikes to prove if its truly straight and not stressed if you're ever interested.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »
If the auction company garantees in writing that the bike runs you have recourse if after purchase this proves untrue. Are both fobs available with the bike? Can the bike be licensed where your Dad is at with a salvage title? Worst case he could part it out and probably double his money towards a different bike.

Having no sight glass is the equivalent to having a hole on the side of the engine.  You can pour oil into the engine and start it and it will run.  But it's only going to run as long as the oil stays in the engine.  You still have an unknown as to what would happen two miles down the road.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »
Having no sight glass is the equivalent to having a hole on the side of the engine.  You can pour oil into the engine and start it and it will run.  But it's only going to run as long as the oil stays in the engine.  You still have an unknown as to what would happen two miles down the road.
The OP did not say the glass was gone, only possibly. I would assume that it's existence would be confirmed before purchased.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Doesn't look like the previous owner is on here.

Another question - if the sight glass is missing or broken, will it affect the engine in a bad way if that glass is inside the motor?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
Anything is possible, but isn't the sight "glass" actually plastic?  My dad will see it in person before he bids on it, so he will be able to see exactly what he is getting.  I think he will be able to get a good deal since it doesn't say HD on the tank. 

Offline Rawman

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:04:48 PM »
I would remember to look for the fobs before bidding.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
Well if it runs they must have one fob other wise those guys have solved a mystery that I am sure we all want the answer to- HOW do you do that???

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 09:34:26 AM »
Jeremy, did your dad buy it? If he can wait about another month and a half(after my trip  ;D), I'll prolly have a good deal on my 08, but it will have about 48-50k miles on it then.  8)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »
Jeremy, did your dad buy it? If he can wait about another month and a half(after my trip  ;D), I'll prolly have a good deal on my 08, but it will have about 48-50k miles on it then.  8)

The bidding hasn't even started yet.  Do you have an idea of how much you will want for your C14?  Mileage has never scared my dad.