Author Topic: XM Navweather on Zumo 550  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
XM Navweather on Zumo 550
« on: July 23, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone here uses the special antenna option to get real time weather on their Zumo? I'm debating picking this accessorie up but wanted to get some feedback as to how well it works and where you place the antenna.

Thanks,

-Chris

Offline TRBN

Re: XM Navweather on Zumo 550
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
I was pretty disappointed with the weather reporting capabilities of the Zumo550.  I found the XM radio and Traffic reporting much more useful than the weather reporting.  The Zumo 660 seems to have updated the weather reporting to more useful levels.  It uses more realtime radar visuals than the 550 does...

I mounted my GXM30 antenna on the right upper fairing panel.

Aaron

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:23:18 AM »
I also have the Xumo 660, but am not sure which weatherproof antenna to use for traffic/weather.....which ones work with this unit?  Is it only the GXM30?
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »
The GXM30 is the only antenna available to do what you want as far as I know.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
I have a 550, had been using XM for years, ST and Wing prior to my C14.  I was only using it for tunes, but they gave me a free month of the weather and traffic to try.  I have to say, for me anyway, that it was pretty useless.  It would pop up a storm warning in my area, but I would already know about it in advance since I check weather on my Droid before heading home.  The traffic was a bit better, but then, Denver isn't one of there listed metro areas... sucks.  I usually have FM radio going on my Droid and pickup traffic updates while I'm on the road.

After all these years of XM service, I dropped it and sold my GXM30 antenna... run my Droid thru my 550.  I'll listen to FM or Slacker, depending on my mood or if I'm traveling local or LD.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
From the feedback that I've heard from. this board and others, it appears it's a waste of money. Thanks for the information, glad I asked.

-Chris

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »
Real time weather on my EVO 4G phone. During TV commercial breaks on the phone of course  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
Real time weather on my EVO 4G phone. During TV commercial breaks on the phone of course  ;D

:thumbs:

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »
I had it for a while,  got rid of it as IMHO it wasn't worth the money.  In essence it was a paid system to tell me it was raining when I'm already sitting in the rain, and to tell me there is traffic once I'm already sitting in bumper to bumper.....

Given that I live in the NY Metro area, traffic is just a way of life here :(  Don't need to be told what I already know :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »
[A little off topic]

Yeah, I was coming back from Cape Cod Sunday afternoon about 4:00 PM.... with the other 539,208,583 people leaving the Cape at that time. My first thought was that if I had real- time traffic reporting I could have avoided being stopped on Rt. 25. My second thought was that the other road that would take me to the mainland was just as packed and real- time traffic would have simply pointed that out.

Still, I think both weather and traffic info. could be great if you were approaching a city on a highway and did have the option to take secondary roads around that city.

Brian

I had it for a while,  got rid of it as IMHO it wasn't worth the money.  In essence it was a paid system to tell me it was raining when I'm already sitting in the rain, and to tell me there is traffic once I'm already sitting in bumper to bumper.....

Given that I live in the NY Metro area, traffic is just a way of life here :(  Don't need to be told what I already know :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com