Author Topic: KiPAss  (Read 31925 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: KiPAss
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2011, 07:08:21 AM »
You guys really like dealing with something like this that seems to be troublesome for some people, rather than a normal key?  :-\

The majority of us never touch KiPass because it is the almighty.  Don't get caught up in the internet herd mentality  ;)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mkorn

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2011, 10:28:53 AM »
I hold my breath everytime i press the key down while waiting for the desired click of the pin.

I hope i never have an issue with it ... but that is not my normal luck.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »
I hope after the cleaning/fileing, this will be it... my one and only failure.  Fingers crossed... wood knocked... ROK RA purchased... extended warranty purchased  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2011, 12:00:19 PM »
The majority of us never touch KiPass because it is the almighty.  Don't get caught up in the internet herd mentality  ;)

"because it is the almighty"

You have to be kidding me. If you truly think this way, you need to get out more! LOL
2005 Concours

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
  After reading this whole thread and few few other of these Keypass threads, it makes me wonder. If Kawasaki has a repair for this Keypass problem, in the way of a newer spring, then why not use it. If this failure only effects the early models and the newer bikes have been updated to a newer spring. Then why would they not replace the spring in the unit having trouble?
 It would cost them pennies as already referred to previously. To not replace the spring in my opinion, would be unscrupulous behavior. If they know that a different spring seems to be helping the newer Concours. Then to omit it from the repair of a older version motorcycle is down right wrong. Knowing there is a different spring means that no matter how you slice it. Cleaning the switch and then reinstalling the older failure prone switch is in my opinion,  borderline negligent. In my opinion in this case, cleaning the switch whether they found a burr or not, is not a repair.
 This looks to me as if Kawasaki is trying to get over on it's customers by not truly repairing these motorcycles in good faith. The omitting of the new and improved spring would support this. So I do not agree with the lad who proclaimed this a proper repair without the known updated spring. Now I also read in some of these threads that this is not the only owner to report this same questionable proclaimed repair.  I seem to have a feeling that what this fellow that told us Kawasaki informed him that no parts were replaced, he may be correct on what he heard. I am basing this mainly on what I have read one these subjects. But others have also said this. I find it hard to believe that everyone who was told no parts were replaced was partially deaf.
 So it leads me to believe one of two things. The first being that Kawasaki is not properly repairing these switches by omitting the improved spring. Which I find despicable on Kawasaki's part if true. This in my opinion would be a dishonest and  not honorable in any way to handle their responsibilities to the owner of the failed motorcycle.
 Then there's my second thought. Maybe Kawasaki does replace the spring when cleaning this switch. But for some reason chose not to tell the the owner of the full and actual repair of their motorcycle. Maybe Kawasaki is afraid if having to do the proper thing and recall the motorcycles for a proper fix. Because lets be honest, it would cost Kawasaki corporation a good chunk of change. By not actually revealing the true repair of the bike, they could avoid a recall. But the problem with this scenario is that this is also dishonest by lying to the owner of the motorcycle and not revealing the true repairs that were made.
 So after all this I think that I am reluctant to do business with Kawasaki. In my opinion it looks like they are using deceptive practices in the repairs of these motorcycles. I don't see myself doing business with a company like this no matter how good their product might be. I will think long and hard about buying another Concours after this enlightening reading. Thank you all for the information.
2005 Concours

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
  After reading this whole thread and few few other of these Keypass threads, it makes me wonder. If Kawasaki has a repair for this Keypass problem, in the way of a newer spring, then why not use it. If this failure only effects the early models and the newer bikes have been updated to a newer spring. Then why would they not replace the spring in the unit having trouble?
 It would cost them pennies as already referred to previously. To not replace the spring in my opinion, would be unscrupulous behavior. If they know that a different spring seems to be helping the newer Concours. Then to omit it from the repair of a older version motorcycle is down right wrong. Knowing there is a different spring means that no matter how you slice it. Cleaning the switch and then reinstalling the older failure prone switch is in my opinion,  borderline negligent. In my opinion in this case, cleaning the switch whether they found a burr or not, is not a repair.
 This looks to me as if Kawasaki is trying to get over on it's customers by not truly repairing these motorcycles in good faith. The omitting of the new and improved spring would support this. So I do not agree with the lad who proclaimed this a proper repair without the known updated spring. Now I also read in some of these threads that this is not the only owner to report this same questionable proclaimed repair.  I seem to have a feeling that what this fellow that told us Kawasaki informed him that no parts were replaced, he may be correct on what he heard. I am basing this mainly on what I have read one these subjects. But others have also said this. I find it hard to believe that everyone who was told no parts were replaced was partially deaf.
 So it leads me to believe one of two things. The first being that Kawasaki is not properly repairing these switches by omitting the improved spring. Which I find despicable on Kawasaki's part if true. This in my opinion would be a dishonest and  not honorable in any way to handle their responsibilities to the owner of the failed motorcycle.
 Then there's my second thought. Maybe Kawasaki does replace the spring when cleaning this switch. But for some reason chose not to tell the the owner of the full and actual repair of their motorcycle. Maybe Kawasaki is afraid if having to do the proper thing and recall the motorcycles for a proper fix. Because lets be honest, it would cost Kawasaki corporation a good chunk of change. By not actually revealing the true repair of the bike, they could avoid a recall. But the problem with this scenario is that this is also dishonest by lying to the owner of the motorcycle and not revealing the true repairs that were made.
 So after all this I think that I am reluctant to do business with Kawasaki. In my opinion it looks like they are using deceptive practices in the repairs of these motorcycles. I don't see myself doing business with a company like this no matter how good their product might be. I will think long and hard about buying another Concours after this enlightening reading. Thank you all for the information.

I suspect its been upgraded/corrected in '10-'11.  Thats even working on the assumtpion there is a high failure rate, A few bikes failing in an internet forum isn't a high failure rate considering all thats been sold.  The dealers i spoke with in tampa have never seen a C14 with a KiPass failure, lets keep it real here even though this is the internet.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
hmmm. this all sounds too familar. The only thing missing is all the exclamation marks.
Nice try Cap'n
But you are right. 99% of all large corporations are likely unscrupulous, its probably the only way to make a lot of profit these days.

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
I know the manager where my bike is being serviced, and he told me no parts are/were being replaced... he has cleaned it, put it together, and it works as new.  If he says no parts were replaced, I believe him, no parts were replaced.  After my conversation this morning with him, stating he hadn't even started the paperwork on it, asking if my bike was still under warranty and such, lends me to believe that no parts were replaced since Mama Kawasaki wouldn't have sent anything out before all of that had been established.   

I am picking her up in a few hours... I will ask about any "burs". 

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
Yumpin' Yiminie! I believe you are right- I did not even notice it but after you mentioned that, I believe you are correct. To be honest I did not read much of 'that guy's' posts because they did seem to have an agenda and a negative connotation but after going back and reviewing, the grammar and overall use of the language does look suspiciously familiar. There are other coincidences too but I will refrain from mentioning them so that we might better be able to spot this behavior in the future, under different names. 

If this belief is correct then it is too bad because it really does show a lack of respect for the truth.

Samuel.... I mean Jonathan..... I mean Ebenezer...... er, call me Ishmael. Or Brian.

hmmm. this all sounds too familar. The only thing missing is all the exclamation marks.
Nice try Cap'n

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »
It is interesting that your dealer says that Kawasaki would not approve any replacement parts and yet apparently the dealer did not know if the bike was under warranty. The logic there seems a bit off....  If the dealer spoke with Kawasaki about what Kawasaki would or would not replace under warranty, wouldn't everyone in the conversation (including your dealer) have to know that the bike was covered under warranty? Put another way, why would the dealer ask what Kawasaki would cover under a warranty repair for a bike that might not even be covered?

I do not have a dog in this fight and I genuinely hope it all works out for you but I still do not understand why any manufacturer would approve hundreds of dollars in warranty work only to withhold the part worth a few pennies that addresses the root of the problem. And it is especially odd that they would suggest waiting until the problem repeats itself; they would be much better served to put the spring in now to reduce the odds of it happening again.

Brian

I know the manager where my bike is being serviced, and he told me no parts are/were being replaced... he has cleaned it, put it together, and it works as new.  If he says no parts were replaced, I believe him, no parts were replaced.  After my conversation this morning with him, stating he hadn't even started the paperwork on it, asking if my bike was still under warranty and such, lends me to believe that no parts were replaced since Mama Kawasaki wouldn't have sent anything out before all of that had been established.   

I am picking her up in a few hours... I will ask about any "burs".
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »
Nice try Cap'n
But you are right. 99% of all large corporations are likely unscrupulous, its probably the only way to make a lot of profit these days.

? Please explain the first part if you would be so kind. What is the acronym Cap n, short for?  I am not very astute observer when it comes to remembering these new texting acronyms.

I agree on the point you make on the second part. But when it is obvious to a prospective owner. I believe that I might be wise to then try for the best possible avoidance of the situation. It's not better being taken advantage of, if you are provided no warning. But you do have the remedy of an excuse. But if I am provided warning and I do not heed such warning. Then I deserve the the wrath I would incur by my own foolishness. This is my point. After reading through the Keypass threads. I really do not feel comfortable in using it. What I see in Kawasaki's makes me uncomfortable is relying on such a device, or that they will do the proper thing if and when something bad might occur. I hope you can see my point on this. I do not think the Keypass is the right fit for my needs and comfort level. I think this will be my last post in these Keypass threads. Maybe the other positives of this fine motorcycle will help me change my mind. Thank you again for your time.
2005 Concours

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »
Yumpin' Yiminie! I believe you are right- I did not even notice it but after you mentioned that, I believe you are correct. To be honest I did not read much of 'that guy's' posts because they did seem to have an agenda and a negative connotation but after going back and reviewing, the grammar and overall use of the language does look suspiciously familiar. There are other coincidences too but I will refrain from mentioning them so that we might better be able to spot this behavior in the future, under different names. 

If this belief is correct then it is too bad because it really does show a lack of respect for the truth.

Samuel.... I mean Jonathan..... I mean Ebenezer...... er, call me Ishmael. Or Brian.

Is this how you get your kicks on the forum. Being the bully to push the new guy around? Some of you Concours14 guys are a different breed. No problem, I will not waste your time trying to  converse in a civil discussion. I'll move back to the C10 people where people do not seem to be A holes. Thanks for the fine welcome. I'm out of here.
2005 Concours

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
hmmm....are you guys trying to create an exclusive C14 community or what? Ran RiderRich off as well. You guys are becoming as bad as Cap'n Bob. He was ranting too much and you just poke fun outa the heck with anyone that ever mentions KiPass is an issue.

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2011, 04:21:31 PM »
hmmm....are you guys trying to create an exclusive C14 community or what? Ran RiderRich off as well. You guys are becoming as bad as Cap'n Bob. He was ranting too much and you just poke fun outa the heck with anyone that ever mentions KiPass is an issue.
For almost 4 years bbar's venom has poisoned this forum.  Good riddance.  If you didn't know who bbar was/is, you can't fairly judge those of us who put up with the ranting for so long. BDF tried to deal with it with humor and tried (sucessfully) to fulfill Voltaire's prayer (make my enemies ridiculous). Bob has changed names and styles several times on the forum, so it is no wonder that that BDF thinks that RiderRich is the same guy.  I felt that something was odd about his posts, but it didn't click until Brian mentioned it.  The intentional misspelling of "keypass", the vitriol against Kawasaki, the "I don't know anything about forums and computers", the question about the origin/meaning of "Cap'n", the type and tone of the questions and comments all scream "bbar/Bionic Bob/Cap'n Bob/Bob/etc". 

RiderRich joined the forum today and has 20 posts.  Not bad for a guy who knows nothing of forums & computers.  QCTM  If he is not a troll or a clone, he will be welcomed back.  If he is either or both, the forum is better off without him.  Newbs, even ones with dumb questions, have been treated pretty well here.  But trolls tend to find it a bit rough at times.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:16:34 PM by lt1 »
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »
Some people take the internet too seriously. Then some act as if they do, and are trollmasters or whiners.  Who knows.

Count me in as one of those who just can't get serious about internet chatter.

KiPass is the smokin' bomb regardless 

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
For almost 4 years bbar's venom has poisoned this forum.  Good riddance.  If you didn't know who bbar was/is, you can't fairly judge those of us who put up with the ranting for so long. BDF tried to deal with it with humor and tried (sucessfully) to fulfill Voltaire's prayer (make my enemies ridiculous). Bob has changed names and styles several times on the forum, so it is no wonder that that BDF thinks that RiderRich is the same guy.  I felt that something was odd about his posts, but it didn't click until Brian mentioned it.  The intentional misspelling of "keypass", the vitriol against Kawasaki, the "I don't know anything about forums and computers", the question about the origin/meaning of "Cap'n", the type and tone of the questions and comments all scream "bbar/Bionic Bob/Cap'n Bob/Bob/etc". 

RiderRich joined the forum today and has 20 posts.  Not bad for a guy who knows nothing of forums & computers.  QCTM  If he is not a troll or a clone, he will be welcomed back.  If he is either or both, the forum is better off without him.  Newbs, even ones with dumb questions, have been treated pretty well here.  But trolls tend to find it a bit rough at times.

Hmmm...good to know this.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
And deep down even Bob knows  KiPass has the almighty mystical pow-ah and causes obsession

People just don't get it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
Alright, guys.  This thread is going nowhere so it's a locking I will go....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.