Author Topic: KiPAss  (Read 31888 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
KiPAss
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:10 PM »
Well, I just got back from a round trip up to Calgary, Icefields Parkway, Hyder Alaska, California, and back to St. Louis.  8K miles.  No problems to speak of.  I am SO happy with the KiPass!  My dad rides a BMW would get on his bike, get his ear plugs in, get his helmet on, get his gloves on, and "OH Chit!!".  Have to take his gloves off to root around and find his key in his pocket.

This is exactly how it is supposed to work.  I didn't have any issues knock on wood, but truly appreciated the ease of getting on and going!  I may see it differently one day, but I think that day could be a long time from now!

I DID NOT, appreciate the heat.  My 08 was warm, but coming through New Mexico, and Oklahoma the temps were in the 115 range, I rode 75 MPH with three bars showing on the temp gauge.  It was cooking hot!  I wanted back into Canada!  It rained on us EVERY SINGLE DAY, and was generally pretty chilly with temps anywhere from 37F degrees in the mountains to 55f down low.  At one point I was frozen!

All in all it was an EXCELLENT trip with my pops!  So happy to have done it!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: KiPAss
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:38:22 PM »
+1

41,000 miles in 16 months flawless. Thats all due to KiPass!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:40:54 PM »
Keeps my HONDA healthy and shiny too  8)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »
Right on STL, a trip like that with your Pops sounds awesome!  :thumbs:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 08:52:14 PM »
Right on STL, a trip like that with your Pops sounds awesome:thumbs:

+1 !

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
Nice! It is good to hear you had a good time riding with your father, and that the bike performed well for you.

Brian

Well, I just got back from a round trip up to Calgary, Icefields Parkway, Hyder Alaska, California, and back to St. Louis.  8K miles.  No problems to speak of.  I am SO happy with the KiPass!  My dad rides a BMW would get on his bike, get his ear plugs in, get his helmet on, get his gloves on, and "OH Chit!!".  Have to take his gloves off to root around and find his key in his pocket.

This is exactly how it is supposed to work.  I didn't have any issues knock on wood, but truly appreciated the ease of getting on and going!  I may see it differently one day, but I think that day could be a long time from now!

I DID NOT, appreciate the heat.  My 08 was warm, but coming through New Mexico, and Oklahoma the temps were in the 115 range, I rode 75 MPH with three bars showing on the temp gauge.  It was cooking hot!  I wanted back into Canada!  It rained on us EVERY SINGLE DAY, and was generally pretty chilly with temps anywhere from 37F degrees in the mountains to 55f down low.  At one point I was frozen!

All in all it was an EXCELLENT trip with my pops!  So happy to have done it!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
I'm sitting next to my 09 C14... it's dead... looks like KiPass has bit me.  Stopped for a train... tried to start bike... nada... friend took me back for secondary fob... nada... switch is locked for good.  At least is was in the free position for me to push to a park.  *sigh*
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Bob

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
 Well try the unplug the grey connector under the clutch side filler panel. If would say to check the RFID part of the fob. But if neither worked, more than likely that's not it. But it can't hurt to check. remove the key out of the fob. Then place that slot on the tab on top of the key housing. IF the fob battery is bad. This should allow the key  to unlock.
 The grey connector is under the black boot under that cover panel. A quick unplug and re plug should give you a quick few seconds to turn the ignition to on. But you have to be quick. You should hear the click.
 If that doesn't work, you'll have to check your battery. That will involve removing the battery cover plates and brackets, then sliding out the battery. Check the battery connections both on the battery and ground buses for tightness. If you have a meter, check battery voltage (preferably under load - which might be tough if the key won't turn on). You may have a bad battery as well.

Bob

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
Oh yeah, I almost forgot!   :popcorn:

Offline roadie1951

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
I'm sitting next to my 09 C14... it's dead... looks like KiPass has bit me.  Stopped for a train... tried to start bike... nada... friend took me back for secondary fob... nada... switch is locked for good.  At least is was in the free position for me to push to a park.  *sigh*

I feel your pain.  I was on my way home from a great ride to Fort Payne, Alabama for BBQ yesterday when I stopped for gas.  Got back on and my 08 is dead!!  Nada!!  Nothing!! Zip!!  Changed the fob battery.  Took the battery cover off and checked the wires.  Ended up leaving the bike at the gas station in Rome, Georgia and rode bitch home to Acworth with my buddy.  Found someone to meet me back up there with a trailer.  Took the spare FOB just in case.  No such luck. 

Got the bike back home.  Today I took the battery out, made sure everything was hooked up ok, pushed the key and voila, it clicked and the screen lite up, but it wouldn't start.  Headlights were dead.  Green neutral light faded.  So, I put the battery on the battery tender.  It charged and showed full charge, but no luck on starting.  Put everything back together to have it taken to the dealer tomorrow and now I don't get the click or screen shot when I push the key.

This is the third time this has happened.  Once out in the middle of west Texas after gassing up.  I don't know what I did, but after an hour or so and with me fiddling with the battery connections, it finally started.  Next time I was picking the bike up at the dealer after an oil change and it wouldn't do anything.  The mechanic couldn't get it going either.   After leaving it another day, it started.  The mechanic said he didn't know what was going on with it. 

I bought this thing new and have put about 33,000 miles on it.  Granted it's only happened 3 times in 33,000 miles, but what a ball breaker when it does happen.

Any ideas? 

Offline vivo

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
If it were me I would invest in a new battery anyway... it's three years old. No idea what is wrong with the bike although I doubt it's KiPass. If the bike did not have the KiPass what would you look for? Bad Ground, or battery, loose terminals, cut off switch, side stand switch... check the normal bike stuff...

vivo

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »
KiPass has allowed 41,000 flawless miles on my '10 Kawi (which is miraculous for a Kawi), and it has also put many a wiminz on the back seat.

I took it from FL to Los Angeles flawlessly after thrashing turns in the CO Rocky Mountains. And when both sides of the road in DOWNTOWN LA stated "no parking", I parked it in the middle of the city street, sat the KiPass on the seat and walked off knowing my bike is in better hands than if Chuck &^%ing Norrris was protecting it from being hit or ticketed.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 04:12:32 AM »
despite the pointless nature of KI-PASS, there is one thing I noticed lately that is annoying me: when the knob is wet, I can't get it out of the lock to open the gashole, for instance, or the bags.  >:(
Anyone noticed this?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »
despite the pointless nature of KI-PASS, there is one thing I noticed lately that is annoying me: when the knob is wet, I can't get it out of the lock to open the gashole, for instance, or the bags.  >:(
Anyone noticed this?

I haven't taken out the stove key since i purchased my bike around 16 months and 41,000 miles ago.  Wish I could comment on that key.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »
I haven't taken out the stove key since i purchased my bike

+1... ditto.

Bob

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »
Anyone noticed this?

It is probably resistance to removal caused by that cheap POS key that Kawasaki decided to use for the ignition, being slightly bent. Being wet probably just gives you much less of a grip on the keys plasitc stove knob cap!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »
It is probably resistance to removal caused by that cheap POS key that Kawasaki decided to use for the ignition, being slightly bent. Being wet probably just gives you much less of a grip on the keys plasitc stove knob cap!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »

:rotflmao:   Bob, you kill me...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »

+1... ditto.
would that be +2 ... or "double ditto"?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.