Author Topic: Im starting to have second thoughts about a c14  (Read 41852 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Im starting to have second thoughts about a c14
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »
Pretty much the same as the C14 turned out to be!   :o   It doesn't tell you what the pressures are. The difference is that the FJR doesn't take over your whole dash board display because one of these systems fails or your low on fuel!!!!  :rotflmao:

Totally agree with that one, Bob.  I hate that darn low fuel message thingy...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Bob

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
We know that Bob which is why none of us suggested you buy one in the first place. But really, shouldn't you really be ranting about it over on the FJR forum? We can't really do anything for you here other than offer our sympathy....  Over on the Feejer forum those guys have developed a lot of really neat work- arounds’ for the deficiencies of that bike.

;D

Brian

Sympathy? It's the other way around chief. Unlike you Brian, I have a motorcycle that has never had to go to the dealer for any issues in the first year. Can you say that about your C14 in your first year? Or any year since?   :rotflmao: 
 I don't spend time on the FJR forum. It's boring to be honest. (the Concours guys are much more fun to be honest) Besides, I haven't had any problems with the FJR that made me want to look up much! There's always something good going on over here with the C14's though!  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »
I don't think you need tire pressure sensors on a Fudger anyway- it is not like they can handle any worse with flat tires. Let's face it, they only have tires to prevent excessive wear on the wheels. This could change but I think they would need more gears to need TPS or even normal sized tires.

::) ;D

Brian

Pretty much the same as the C14 turned out to be!   :o   It doesn't tell you what the pressures are. The difference is that the FJR doesn't take over your whole dash board display because one of these systems fails or your low on fuel!!!!  :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2011, 03:37:54 PM »
In the grand scheme of things my 2011 C14 with 4700 miles on it since March is rolling fine. My daily commute is 86 miles round trip, and my weekends are 400+ miles. I've been to one bike rally, ridden in major downpours.
I also understand that if I had a non stop string of issues with the bike, I would be a constant voice of negativity on the fourums.
Simply put through all my research over two years and dozens of bikes, I came to the conclusion that the Concours 14 was the bike for me. It hit all the right notes (price, cost of ownership, performance, and reliability). I crossed my fingers and singed the check.  4 months later, I'm a happy camper and haven't had any of the issues I've seen here on the forums.

I'm sure you made the right choice. The C14 is an excellent bike. I highly recommend it to people all the time. Most of this stuff on here is nothing more than playful jabs between us. If I was anti- C14, I probably would spend so much time on here. I'm sure you'll have plenty of trouble free years with your bike!

Bob

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
I don't think you need tire pressure sensors on a Fudger anyway- it is not like they can handle any worse with flat tires. Let's face it, they only have tires to prevent excessive wear on the wheels. This could change but I think they would need more gears to need TPS or even normal sized tires.

::) ;D

Brian

I thought that maybe removing the tires and running on tracks would make it handle more like it was on rails!  :D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2011, 03:42:37 PM »
Yeah, good point: Fudgers really do handle like a train....

;D

Brian

I thought that maybe removing the tires and running on tracks would make it handle more like it was on rails!  :D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »

Well, you certainly know about rails....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline vivo

« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2011, 05:15:29 PM »
Hey Bob...

I know what you mean about a first year model. I had a Yamaha Royal Star when they first came out. It got new cams after a long fight and Yamaha saying they weren't defective. It had the "Jack Hammer as it was then called where the drive belt slapped up and down violently and again Yamaha fought owners with this problem. My bike was at Yamaha City for two months until the owner himself found the problem that the special Yamaha techs could not. Bikes were sent back to Japan and several owners had Yamaha buy their bike back from them after threats by a very vocal group of owners. The BIG Jack Hammer problem was related to the drive belt, they were defective in some way and the belt design was later changed but owners were not told and complaints to Yamaha only resulted in being blown off or if you were willing to start an all out war with the company they would reluctantly quietly make repairs for you while continuing to tell others nothing was wrong with the bikes! Letters were written to Japan, the Attorney General of California and lots of other places and it was ugly. I openly wrote that the then head of Yamaha customer service should be dismissed, what I said was "fired" and I addressed my comments to the Japanese management. Poofffff at some point he was no longer head of Customer Service but I don't know why really? If the head of customer service for a company will not help correct a problem then he is not doing a very good job is he? Everyone has a boss and the boss gets pissed when continued trouble is unresolved so it is important to make a fuss. It is important to make a big fuss and to continue to do so until you get resolution. Sometimes it's almost not worth it. It all depends on how badly you want to make a point. I seriously doubt Yamaha is any better at warranty claims than Kawasaki and from what I've seen here I would say Kawasaki is doing a pretty good job overall... New rotors being replaced....unheard of from some manufacturers... three year warranty standard.... that's pretty good especially given we can purchase additional warranty cheap!

I swore I would never ever buy another Yamaha product again and till this day I have not nor will I ever! So I understand why you hate Kawasaki. I understand how you felt when they would not repair your KiPass and would only clean the switch mechanism. I understand that in your opinion the company acted dishonorably. Believe it or not I support you and your frustration with Kawasaki and what we should have done was to write a collective letter to Kawasaki demanding replacement of defective parts. You bailed a bit before it got to that point...

I wouldn't ride a Yamaha for anything! Not because they are bad bikes but because in 1999 I made a promise never to do so and I have a long memory.

Not all that different from your experience with Kawasaki...

What the heck is up with Yamaha's pricing? Are they on crack??? No doubt the FJR is a good bike and the Tenere is a decent bike but lets get real!!! The bikes are over priced and if dealers don't deal then they will continue to lose market share and from what I have read they haven't invested in the small bike markets in developing countries... maybe management is missing a gear or two?

Your mileage may vary...

vivo

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
But here is the question, do you spend a lot of time on any Yamaha forums bashing the bike [that you no longer own] endlessly?  :o  If so, do they call you Cap'n Vivo?

Brian

Hey Bob...

<snip>

vivo

Bob

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »
But here is the question, do you spend a lot of time on any Yamaha forums bashing the bike [that you no longer own] endlessly?  :o  If so, do they call you Cap'nn Vivo?

Brian

Most of what you consider bashing is in direct response to your comments, most of the time! Besides, someone has to counter the "C14 has never had a problem" BS your always insinuating!!!!  :rotflmao:

Bob

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »
 I understand your points. And I agree with most of what your saying. But truly, I don't hate Kawasaki. I am and was very disappointed with them. But hate is a strong word. If I hated Kawasaki, I would have sold my other two Kawasaki's by now! I also don't say I would never buy another Kawasaki ever again either. They have a couple of bikes right now that peak my interest. But at this point, I would say I am doubtful that I would buy another C14 in it's present configuration.
 You are right that Yamaha is pricing it's bikes a little too high. Although I picked up my FJR for less than most on here (that I read) are paying for their new model year C14's on here. Although I admit that I could have also had a 2010 C14 for the same price (they had both).

Hey Bob...

I know what you mean about a first year model. I had a Yamaha Royal Star when they first came out. It got new cams after a long fight and Yamaha saying they weren't defective. It had the "Jack Hammer as it was then called where the drive belt slapped up and down violently and again Yamaha fought owners with this problem. My bike was at Yamaha City for two months until the owner himself found the problem that the special Yamaha techs could not. Bikes were sent back to Japan and several owners had Yamaha buy their bike back from them after threats by a very vocal group of owners. The BIG Jack Hammer problem was related to the drive belt, they were defective in some way and the belt design was later changed but owners were not told and complaints to Yamaha only resulted in being blown off or if you were willing to start an all out war with the company they would reluctantly quietly make repairs for you while continuing to tell others nothing was wrong with the bikes! Letters were written to Japan, the Attorney General of California and lots of other places and it was ugly. I openly wrote that the then head of Yamaha customer service should be dismissed, what I said was "fired" and I addressed my comments to the Japanese management. Poofffff at some point he was no longer head of Customer Service but I don't know why really? If the head of customer service for a company will not help correct a problem then he is not doing a very good job is he? Everyone has a boss and the boss gets pissed when continued trouble is unresolved so it is important to make a fuss. It is important to make a big fuss and to continue to do so until you get resolution. Sometimes it's almost not worth it. It all depends on how badly you want to make a point. I seriously doubt Yamaha is any better at warranty claims than Kawasaki and from what I've seen here I would say Kawasaki is doing a pretty good job overall... New rotors being replaced....unheard of from some manufacturers... three year warranty standard.... that's pretty good especially given we can purchase additional warranty cheap!

I swore I would never ever buy another Yamaha product again and till this day I have not nor will I ever! So I understand why you hate Kawasaki. I understand how you felt when they would not repair your KiPass and would only clean the switch mechanism. I understand that in your opinion the company acted dishonorably. Believe it or not I support you and your frustration with Kawasaki and what we should have done was to write a collective letter to Kawasaki demanding replacement of defective parts. You bailed a bit before it got to that point...

I wouldn't ride a Yamaha for anything! Not because they are bad bikes but because in 1999 I made a promise never to do so and I have a long memory.

Not all that different from your experience with Kawasaki...

What the heck is up with Yamaha's pricing? Are they on crack??? No doubt the FJR is a good bike and the Tenere is a decent bike but lets get real!!! The bikes are over priced and if dealers don't deal then they will continue to lose market share and from what I have read they haven't invested in the small bike markets in developing countries... maybe management is missing a gear or two?

Your mileage may vary...

vivo

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
Totally agree with that one, Bob.  I hate that darn low fuel message thingy...

Drives me bonkers.  One day I am going to wreck trying to give it the two finger deal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »
2008 ABS, hasn't seen the inside of the dealership since the day it was purchased.  Zero Kipass issues and the original TPMS still works, both wheels.  Zero issues of any kind, just change the fluids and tires.  So far can't see what all the fuss is about.  I may have to donate this one to the Kawi museum.   ::)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
Well thanks for the offer to blame me for your rantings but I respectfully decline. You are on your own. Don't get me wrong, I am not put off in any way, and actually enjoy baiting you but this situation is now, and always has been, totally in your control.

But of course I know better than really applying reason here- the only thing left is the humor. So by all means, turn your axe over and grind away at the other side for a while. Here, I will help you: why is it that dem dare Yamahahahahs have so many mufflers? Can't Yamaha figure out how to weld four pipes into one, larger, pipe?

And, as always... 

Brian

Most of what you consider bashing is in direct response to your comments, most of the time! Besides, someone has to counter the "C14 has never had a problem" BS your always insinuating!!!!  :rotflmao:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
Well thanks for the offer to blame me for your rantings but I respectfully decline. You are on your own. Don't get me wrong, I am not put off in any way, and actually enjoy baiting you but this situation is now, and always has been, totally in your control.

But of course I know better than really applying reason here- the only thing left is the humor. So by all means, turn your axe over and grind away at the other side for a while. Here, I will help you: why is it that dem dare Yamahahahahs have so many mufflers? Can't Yamaha figure out how to weld four pipes into one, larger, pipe?

And, as always... 

Brian

Well, I'm not a feejer guy, but I will actually jump in on this one Brian... The Connie is much better with duals IMO!  8)

Offline vivo

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
Well I may be of a different mind Bob. I still hate Yamaha as a company.  I will go as far as to say Yamaha makes fine drums but I would never consider owning them as I refuse to support that company. This is all we as consumers can do. It is personal with me. I dont bash the company but I will not support it ever. If I owned a Yamaha I might consider keeping it provided it was special to me. I have owner bikes that had problems such as a recent. Aprilia but I can forgive design issues. Deceptive treatment of issues is a different matter...  but its no longer 1999.... and I still keep my vow.

Vivo

Offline olie

« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2011, 09:16:31 AM »

Well, I'm not a feejer guy, but I will actually jump in on this one Brian... The Connie is much better with duals IMO!  8)

by using basic geometry, for the same flow area, one exhaust will be lighter than 2 exhausts. Also, even if using the same open area, the single exhaust is less restrictive than the 2 exhaust. Just comparing apples to apples....
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
by using basic geometry, for the same flow area, one exhaust will be lighter than 2 exhausts. Also, even if using the same open area, the single exhaust is less restrictive than the 2 exhaust. Just comparing apples to apples....

The stock potato launcher these come with weigh the equivalent of 10 dual exhaust and a bowling ball, lift with your legs if you remove yours...  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »
Drives me bonkers.  One day I am going to wreck trying to give it the two finger deal.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.   Ran into the back of a C10 because of that darn message.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »
Man, you guys are nuts (in a good way),  ;D.  Enjoying the thread!  :popcorn:
"Always take the long way home."