Author Topic: Oxidation  (Read 9983 times)

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
Oxidation
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
So since my last bike had little to no plastic on it, the first thing I noticed was the massive amounts of black plastic on my C14....I bought a cover and wondered if I should start covering it every day to try and keep the sun from killing it ???

In addition I bought some black magic plastic and vinyl treatment, suppose to work against UV rays, etc...just wondering what everyone else is using/doing to keep the black from drying out and becoming oxidized?

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
Re: Oxidation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »
Nothing!  Just ride da **** out of the bike and sell it.  Are you keeping it for life?  If not, forget bout' it!   :o
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:27:12 AM »
If my bike is going to be sitting in the hot sun for more than an hour, I put my nelson rigg uv 2000 cover on it. It's very reflective and keeps the bike cool plus it keeps prying eyes off it as well.

Not my bike but you get the idea.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 05:54:44 AM »
If my bike is going to be sitting in the hot sun for more than an hour, I put my nelson rigg uv 2000 cover on it. It's very reflective and keeps the bike cool plus it keeps prying eyes off it as well.

Not my bike but you get the idea.

Really?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »
Nothing!  Just ride da **** out of the bike and sell it.  Are you keeping it for life?  If not, forget bout' it!   :o

LOL yeah I know however I due plan to keep this one....but that is what I said with the last 3 as well  :D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:27:18 AM »

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rawman

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »
Black '09.  Going over 2 years, park it outside at work (Atlanta heat) almost everyday, rain or shine, the plastic looks as good as the day I bought it.

I have never waxed it, or put any car-care products on it, just plain 'ol tap water from a hose and a microfiber cloth about once a month to keep it clean.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
sounds like I maybe taking it to the extreme however I am just like that :)

Anyone use 303 Protectant? I have heard great things about it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:06:34 AM »
If your extremely lucky it may fade to the fast Neutron Silver color ;)  3 years, 49,000 miles, parked in the eveing under an overhang, washed only at service time, many miles in the rain.  I see no signs of fade.  Covers tend to bother my mind, wind can kick up outa no where here in the Pacific Northwet and I can just see the cover turning into a sail.  Not to mention the time taking it off for the commuter home, every minute lost is many more cars choking the road >:(

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »
Yeah I'd be concerned with the cover rubbing on the painted surfaces, and entrapping gasoline fumes so I've been hesitant to use one.  Fortunately there are some shaded areas to park at work, but they don't stay shaded all day long so I have to move mid day if I want to stay in the shade.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
About the only time that I cover my bike is here at work. I have to park in the designated motorcycle parking areas and the two areas that I use are protected from the wind, so that's not a concern for me. As for rubbing and gas fumes building up inside the cover? I ain't worried.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »
About the only time that I cover my bike is here at work. I have to park in the designated motorcycle parking areas and the two areas that I use are protected from the wind, so that's not a concern for me. As for rubbing and gas fumes building up inside the cover? I ain't worried.

Me too on the designated parking (army post).  I cover most days and I use one of these when I get home sice I don't have a garage or carport.

Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
Me too on the designated parking (army post).  I cover most days and I use one of these when I get home sice I don't have a garage or carport.
I'm in the same boat with no car port or garage. So i picked up the Bike Barn

My Bike

it's the best investment I've ever made.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 01:54:24 PM »
I'm in the same boat with no car port or garage. So i picked up the Bike Barn

If she's there waiting to cover it for you every night, I'll have to get one of those.  Of course then I'll have a big open space in the garage.

I cover mine at work too, but not for the same reason as everyone else.  I found out some idiot co-workers were playing on it, and rather than them ending up in the morgue and me in jail, the $25 cover is much less trouble.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »

I guess what goes on beneath the covers stays there, eh?

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 02:54:26 PM »
If your extremely lucky it may fade to the fast Neutron Silver color ;)  3 years, 49,000 miles, parked in the eveing under an overhang, washed only at service time, many miles in the rain.  I see no signs of fade.  Covers tend to bother my mind, wind can kick up outa no where here in the Pacific Northwet and I can just see the cover turning into a sail.  Not to mention the time taking it off for the commuter home, every minute lost is many more cars choking the road >:(

:rotflmao:

The color of class :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »
I guess what goes on beneath the covers stays there, eh?

Just like Vegas baby!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »
sounds like I maybe taking it to the extreme however I am just like that :)

Anyone use 303 Protectant? I have heard great things about it.

303 comes highly recommended by many sources.  I just started using it on my Cycle Shell http://www.cycleshell.com/ because they recommended it.  Too soon to know anything, but will let you know in 5 years or so :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »
If she's there waiting to cover it for you every night, I'll have to get one of those.  Of course then I'll have a big open space in the garage.

I cover mine at work too, but not for the same reason as everyone else.  I found out some idiot co-workers were playing on it, and rather than them ending up in the morgue and me in jail, the $25 cover is much less trouble.

Just curious how does a co-worker "play" on your bike?

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?