Author Topic: Helmets and Rx Glasses  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Gearhead82

Helmets and Rx Glasses
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »
Wasn't sure what section to post this in. . .

I wear prescription glasses (contacts didn't work for me) and I find that it's a bit of a pain to get them on and off when wearing my helmet.  I have a Scorpion EXO 400, which honestly doesn't cause too much trouble with my glasses, but the helmet is a size too big.  I also have an EXO 1000 which I feel is the right size for my head but it's nearly impossible to get my glasses on and off without bending the arms.  I have glasses with no "ear hooks" at the end of the arms and they are probably about the best shape for helmet compatibility. 

Basically, I may be in the market for a new helmet and I'm wondering if people have found any particular model/brand to be more glasses friendly than others.  Something with an inner visor would be great, too.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline billhook

• Arena
Re: Helmets and Rx Glasses
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I have a HJC CL-15 ful face helmet. I used to have no problem putting my glasses on after putting the helmet on.  But, I recently got new glasses that are Flexon brand, which have flexible frames.  Because of the flexibility in the frames, the arms want to wander from the path that I try to make them go to get behind my ears.  I try to grasp them closer to the ends and squeeze my fingers between the helmet and my head to reduce the amount of the arm that can flex and it works better.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
I bought a modular (flip up) because of this very thing. I wear contacts most of the time but I had to be able to get the helmet on while wearing my glasses too. I went with a HJC SyMax II and it works perfectly with my glasses. (it has the inner visor too) If I'm wearing my glasses I just open the helmet up a bit and it slips right over my glasses without an issue. It comes off the same way.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »
I have a EXO-400 that does fit tight. My glasses go right in. I also have an Arai that is way more comfy maybe a tad big?? but glasses are much harder to slide into the Arai. Modular. Hmmmm maybe I'll give one a try this time when I buy a helmet.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:33:55 PM »
I like the idea of a modular helmet, but I've heard that the ventilation is poor and they are a lot noisier than full-faced helmets.  I wish local dealers would let me test ride the helmets so I could see for myself.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »
Been wearing a Zox Genesis flip up, w/ internal visor for a couple years, it's a very comfortable unit, and suites my bifocal sunglasses well...also has room for internal speakers..an added plus
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/zox-genesis-silver.jpg/Kitkey2/GENESIS%20SVS%20HELMET/Brand/ZOX/Class2/Helmets/Class3/Flip-Up%20Helmets/Class1/STREET%20PRODUCTS

some folks didn't like them, and had noise complaints, but mine seems to be the most quiet helmet I have owned...go figure.

I bought both HJC and an EXO prior to this one, and returned both after one ride... they both whistled profusely.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
I have an HJC Sy-Max.  With the front up, I can put the helmet on with my glasses on.  I'll always stay with a flip-up just for this reason.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »
+1 on the SyMax II. (And the CL-Max)  I find with the chinbar open, it's quite easy to put glasses on.  I wear earplugs anyway, so can't comment about the noise.

Although since a nice doctor shot me in the face with a laser, I get to use non-prescription sunglasses now.   8)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Timalan

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
+1 on the SyMax II. (And the CL-Max)  I find with the chinbar open, it's quite easy to put glasses on.  I wear earplugs anyway, so can't comment about the noise.

Although since a nice doctor shot me in the face with a laser, I get to use non-prescription sunglasses now.   8)
I really would love to have that done. The other day I was sitting on the couch and I looked down. didn't have my glasses on. I jumped about a mile in the air. . . There was  a damn Blackbird sitting between my feet on the carpet. scared the crap out of me. Then I put on my glasses. It was just my socks bunched together on the floor. My wife was just sitting there gigglin! Then I I thought what an Idiot. How the heck would a Blackbird just get in the house and sit between my feet. Sometimes I am blonder than I should openly tell! ;D

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
I really would love to have that done. The other day I was sitting on the couch and I looked down. didn't have my glasses on. I jumped about a mile in the air. . . There was  a damn Blackbird sitting between my feet on the carpet. scared the crap out of me. Then I put on my glasses. It was just my socks bunched together on the floor. My wife was just sitting there gigglin! Then I I thought what an Idiot. How the heck would a Blackbird just get in the house and sit between my feet. Sometimes I am blonder than I should openly tell! ;D

Wow!  How the hell did that get into the living room?

;D ;D  Those must be some BIG socks!

It's one of the few useful things my union has done with our dues.  They boosted our vision plan so there was a $200 deductible for laser surgery.  My eyes would have been about $4800 otherwise.  It's wonderful to open my eyes in the morning and be able to read my alarm clock. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
I'm not sold on flip up helmets, and I'm not sold on lasik surgery. I use a Shoei TZR and my glasses fit fine, easy on and off with the helmet on, I've got 3 different pairs too of varying materials and sizes.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Timalan

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
Wow!  How the hell did that get into the living room?

;D ;D  Those must be some BIG socks!

It's one of the few useful things my union has done with our dues.  They boosted our vision plan so there was a $200 deductible for laser surgery.  My eyes would have been about $4800 otherwise.  It's wonderful to open my eyes in the morning and be able to read my alarm clock.
Yeah I wish that was in my living room! I have no vision insurance, and now with the fantastic economy I'm loosing my dental, life, accidental death and going to like triple the out of pocket i had. At least I'm still working!

Offline Makz58

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »
I have the Scorpion EXO 900 no issue with putting my helmet on wearing the glasses. Yes I have the flexon or whatever they call them and if I try to put them on after the helmet they are a pian in the a$$ as the side arms are flexible enough they do not co-operate.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
Ok so I stopped by Iron Pony after work and tried on just about every modular helmet they had including all of the ones mentioned in this post. I didn't like any of them and still couldn't get them on without taking off my glasses, so maybe I have odd shaped glasses or odd shaped ears. Anyway, I found a few full face helmets that made taking my glasses on and off very easy. Of course the best were the Shoei RF 1100, Shoei Qwest, and Arai Profile but I think those are all out of my price range. The HJC IS 16 was also a good fit as was the GMAX GM68S which both can be had online for way under $200 and both seem to have good reviews. The HJC has a nice inner visor and the GMAX has kind of a funky tinted visor that goes on the outside of the main faceshield that I'm not too sure about.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »
Two months ago I bought my second Shoei RF1000 and I've used several types of prescription glasses with wire and plastic frames and "safety" type eye shields and never had a problem getting them in the helmet or during the ride.  I don't need prescription distance glasses any more after the cataract surgery and the implants, but I ride with the faceshield open most of the time and so I use impact-resistant eyeshields.  No problems.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »
Years ago I had the first generation of BMW modular helmets. I liked it better than any helmet I have owned since. The catch? I felt that getting a Snell bucket was more important. If they ever manage to make a Snell flip-up I will own it in a flash regardless of the cost.

I found a solution for what to do with your glasses when you take the helmet off. I got a very thin, elastic neck leash. I could let my glasses dangle and then, after putting on my helmet, the leash was long enough and small enough that I could easily then put my glasses on (the leash simply went through the shield opening). Unfortunately, when I got my C14 I bought a new helmet and this strategy does not work so well on the new helmet.

Offline WTexCliff

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 09:17:30 PM »
I got a Shoei Rf 1100 (a full face helmet) and it has a small break in the padding to allow glasses to slide in.  Fits perfect with my glasses.  Although, I do have to take them off to put the helmet on or remove it.  I did try the fit though before I paid that much for a helmet.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
I bought a solid color Shoei RF1100 for $330 a few months ago online. Competition Accessories. My wife loves it and her glasses go on and off easily with the helmet on. I didn't think that was a bad price.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I am the one with a Zox Genesis that I say isn't exactly quite, but I still love the helmet.  The trick with putting on the modular helmets with glasses is the kinda angle it forward and pull the helmet on over the ears. If I try to pull it on in front of the ears then it will still grab my glasses.