Author Topic: Cruise Control  (Read 1369 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Cruise Control
« on: June 22, 2021, 08:04:40 AM »
On the ride I just finished Sunday, I was the lead bike and I noticed that even with a Go Cruise throttle lock and a Crampbuster paddle for resting my palm, I still tend to hold the grip and the tip of my middle finger was going numb.
I tried to use the throttle lock more (the Go Cruise doesn't hold the throttle open really well on bumpy sections and will slow down) but since it is inconsistent on holding, I had to keep adjusting it as the rider behind me on his FJR had his cruise control set, but had to keep adjusting to my speed.

I know it has been said many times over, but why hasn't Kawi fixed this and added it to the Concours?
The FJR has had it for a few years now, but they also had a major redesign and Kawi hasn't done that yet (will they ever?).

I know there is an option for installing an aftermarket version, but not sure I want to go down that path on a bike that is a 2009 and is now 12 years old.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Re: Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 09:46:09 AM »
We still have cables for throttle.  If they had throttle by wire on the C14 then Kaw would add CC the the Concours.  They already have tbw on other bikes, but I suspect the cost of adding it to the C14 platform doesn't make much sense.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
I agree. I wish they had 1 for the C-14.
I think Bruce has the best explanation of why they didn't do it.

I've installed a Vista Cruise on every Connie I've had. (3 C-10's and a C-14)
Works well, and cost's little ($28). You set the speed by pushing the thumb bar down.
With the thumb bar it's EZ to lock and unlock when you want, and by including a bit of slack in your install, it's possible to slightly increase the throttle for hills without doing a reset..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293780927173?epid=171177773&hash=item4466b532c5:g:StAAAOSw2dFfhhUc

NOTE: Takes a little tinkering/mods to install it, but they are not that difficult to do.
If anyone's interested, Harry Martin came up with the best way to do the install.
I think that we can find his post.
{IMPORTANT: Please don't tell Harry I sed he did "anything" good.}  :nuts:

By the way; I suggest that you increase your distance between bikes.
That distance will act as a absorber. It allows the differences in speed to be less of a hassle.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: They'll probably tell you that the Vista Cruise pictured won't fit your bike.
Ignore them and we'll help ya figure out how to do the simple mods.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 12:39:35 PM »
I'm in the same boat and didn't want to add CC to my '08 which I've added enough farkles and mods. After riding a few buddies' bikes with CC, it's convinced me to move on finally. Maybe if/when they add CC to the C14 line will I go back.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 12:55:54 PM »
I'm in the same boat and didn't want to add CC to my '08 which I've added enough farkles and mods. After riding a few buddies' bikes with CC, it's convinced me to move on finally. Maybe if/when they add CC to the C14 line will I go back.
Are you going with an FJR or a BMW? They both have CC, but the BMW is much more expensive than the Yamaha.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »
My Indian Roadmaster has cc and throttle by wire.  Works quite well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 02:59:47 PM »
Are you going with an FJR or a BMW? They both have CC, but the BMW is much more expensive than the Yamaha.

Going with Yamaha Super Tenere ES as I want the drive shaft and CC! Less maintenance than a BMW and much less in $$ too. ;)  Will be riding 90% road but want to explore a bit and C14 can only handle so much on easier dirt/gravel roads.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 04:22:26 PM »
I know it has been said many times over, but why hasn't Kawi fixed this and added it to the Concours?

There was only a single moderate redesign of the C14, just two years after it was released (2010).  CC wasn't compelling enough for them at the time, especially since the C14 does not have throttle-by-wire, so adding cruise would be more complicated and expensive. On a throttle-by-wire design, having CC is just a few lines of software code, and a button/indicator.

It is apparent that Kawasaki has had no interest in upgrading or redesigning the Concours, it has been a dead-end model for many years now.  It is actually shocking each year that they still manage to release a new model year in only North America- the Concours (GTR) has been discontinued everywhere else.

The market for a large, fast, big-engine, sport tourers is just not there anymore.  It is unfortunate, because all of us LIKE that type of bike and very much want to see the Concours evolve.  But it isn't going to.  You will have to change to another manufacturer, or settle for something Kawasaki that isn't a sport tourer, like the very expensive, smaller wheelbase, chain-driven, fixed-windscreen, lesser-faired, lesser-storage H2 SX SE+.

The FJR has had it for a few years now, but they also had a major redesign and Kawi hasn't done that yet (will they ever?).

No.  (Or perhaps I should say, "it is extremely unlikely")

I know there is an option for installing an aftermarket version, but not sure I want to go down that path on a bike that is a 2009 and is now 12 years old.

It is your only option, if you want cruise control.  Otherwise, throttle-locks have to suffice.  Personally, I think it is disappointing that the C14 didn't have cruise and that they didn't try to graft one onto it, but I don't see it as a major issue.  And that is coming from someone who has carpal tunnel and numb hands a lot.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 04:59:12 PM »
Going with Yamaha Super Tenere ES as I want the drive shaft and CC! Less maintenance than a BMW and much less in $$ too. ;)  Will be riding 90% road but want to explore a bit and C14 can only handle so much on easier dirt/gravel roads.
Bit of a thread interloper here however.....the Tenere isn't entirely without it's maintenance eye openers.  Valve check/adj isn't for the faint of heart. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 07:15:42 AM »
Bit of a thread interloper here however.....the Tenere isn't entirely without it's maintenance eye openers.  Valve check/adj isn't for the faint of heart.

What he said ^^^

Tenere valve adjust makes the C14 valve adjust look like a walk in the park.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 08:12:41 AM »
It's obviouse Kawasaki is not going to add cuise to the C14 & as previously stated we are lucky they even still make the C14 for the U.S. market  . They will probably not do a major upgrade/redesign of this bike since the sport touring style bike market is nowhere where it used to be. I installed a Rosta years ago & it's the best thing I ever did, It has worked perfect for over 40.000 miles & acts exactly like a factory unit. It IS a bit involved to install & can take a whole weekend but if you are at least slightly mechanically inclined you can install a Rostra. Why get rid of a bike you love & may be perfect for you in almost all areas exept it does not have cruise ?. I suggest just dedicating a weekend & install the Rostra, You won't regret it !
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »
I installed a Rostra cruise on my '99.  Worst part was the throttle cable connection, then me being intent on making the wiring look perfect.  It does work wonderfully, although I wished for a throttle lock for some instances.  They can both be useful on the same bike.  On my C14 if I decide on cruise I think I'll go with the MCCruise, although it's pricey.  Haven't heard anyone say they regretted spending the money for it though.  It is supposed to be relatively plug & play, so installation might be less daunting than the Rostra.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 10:13:36 PM »
I've had McCruise about 8 years now, I'm a fan.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 05:23:25 PM »
I have had the audiovox cruise on 2 C10s. Installed myself  and wasn't to bad. My 14 had cruise installed already
. Cruise allows me to ride a lot longer per day.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 01:57:52 PM »

What he said ^^^

Tenere valve adjust makes the C14 valve adjust look like a walk in the park.

Not sure why the Tenere is more difficult, but having never done any valves including my C14 since I pay a good shop to do it, not really worried about it. Removing the plastic and other misc items for the shop was a chore in itself and won't miss that at all.

Going back to topic, having ridden a good bike already equipped and designed with CC in mind, I'm taking the path. My 08 C14 is already high in mileage and probably farkled out to its limits minus the CC. I'll leave that to the next owner to decide.

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 10:54:19 PM »
Not sure why the Tenere is more difficult, but having never done any valves including my C14 since I pay a good shop to do it, not really worried about it. Removing the plastic and other misc items for the shop was a chore in itself and won't miss that at all.

Going back to topic, having ridden a good bike already equipped and designed with CC in mind, I'm taking the path. My 08 C14 is already high in mileage and probably farkled out to its limits minus the CC. I'll leave that to the next owner to decide.
Labor
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 12:05:26 PM »
I have carpel tunnel in both hands....    I installed  cruise control on my C14..  I have tested it and it works great.. but for some reason... I never use it.
I have that fancy twist knob  throttle locker too ... dont use that either ....  but what I do use is those Throttle Rockers.. I  have them on 3 of my bikes now... both sides. I think they work great.
I print them on my 3D printer in ABS.  I may try ASA+ but that is more difficult  to print with.

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 03:35:48 PM »
but what I do use is those Throttle Rockers.. I  have them on 3 of my bikes now... both sides. I think they work great.

It must take getting used to it.  I have tried using a Throttle Rocker several times, and it always leaves me scared and feeling out of control.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 07:50:24 PM »
It must take getting used to it.  I have tried using a Throttle Rocker several times, and it always leaves me scared and feeling out of control.

I have a throttle rocker (different brand, but same idea) on the throttle side, but have considered one for the other side as well. It does take some getting used to, but doesn't take long.
Scott