Author Topic: Do you block off the air injection??  (Read 6955 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Do you block off the air injection??
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »
Do you guys block off the air injection or not if running full system, PCV, filter, etc??

I've heard that by blocking it off it minimizes "popping" on decel... Is this true or not??

Any other pro's or con's to doing this??

Offline 3redzxs

Re: Do you block off the air injection??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »
It helps, but there is still a little at times.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »
It helps, but there is still a little at times.

Is there a downside to doing it??

I found this info from another thread, if you do it is this the best way or are there other/better options??
http://www.holeshot.com/Concours_c14/c14decel_inst.html

Offline 3redzxs

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
Not That I've heard of. Done the same to a few bikes without problems.
The procedure in the link looks good.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:15:02 AM »
I only have the Area P slip on and I get a lil 'decel pop' but I like the sound myself. I wouldn't even call it a pop, more like a burble. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:14:54 AM »
I only have the Area P slip on and I get a lil 'decel pop' but I like the sound myself. I wouldn't even call it a pop, more like a burble.

Conrad,
I'm currently running a slip-on as well, and the popping is very minimal if at all...

But I heard that going to a full system makes it pop rather bad if you don't plug the air injection, I'm getting my full system put on next week, hence the question while she's naked...

Offline Rawman

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »
I plugged mine when I installed the AreaP so I don't know how bad it would be with it unplugged.  I do get the occasional decel pop when downshifting coming into a turn in the 5-6000 rpm range.

All it does is inject fresh air to finish burning any extra fuel, just for emissions purposes.  It will not harm the bike at all to plug the line.  The stock muffler is so quiet, you just don't hear it popping, but it is happening.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 05:51:22 PM »
I plugged mine when I installed the AreaP so I don't know how bad it would be with it unplugged.  I do get the occasional decel pop when downshifting coming into a turn in the 5-6000 rpm range.

All it does is inject fresh air to finish burning any extra fuel, just for emissions purposes.  It will not harm the bike at all to plug the line.  The stock muffler is so quiet, you just don't hear it popping, but it is happening.

That makes sense, thanks RM!

Did you plug yours the same way as in that link I posted below?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
I can't hear it on mine at all....  Don't know what the fuss is all about.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »

Are you running a full system Jim or a slip-on?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »

That is only because you are damn near deaf. ;D
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »
I blocked mine off using the cap from a Marks-A-Lot ink pen.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/392522/Avery-Marks-A-Lot-Permanent-Markers/

It fits perfectly; I stole it from my work's supply closet, shhh!

I have slip-ons, but I think plugging the Pair Valve intake applies to all aftermarket pipes. The decel pop is almost completely gone. It still happens once in a while at higher RPMs but not continuously like before...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »

Are you running a full system Jim or a slip-on?

Stock.....  I guess it's a slip-on...fits the same way.

And no, I'm not deaf you twit.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »

Stock.....  I guess it's a slip-on...fits the same way.

I'm currently using the stock header and a slip-on and no issues with popping myself, but I've heard that going to a "full" system will pop if you don't block it off...  ???

Offline Rawman

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »
I used a rubber grommet I found at O'Reillys, it fit pretty snug and used a small tie wrap to secure it.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
I quite like the popping / gurgling / rumbling on decel.  Makes it sound real mean.  8)

I find it interesting that whether it pops or not is partially controlled by the timing of closing the throttle.  Sometimes it will be popping / rumbling during decel, but if I crack the throttle then close it again, it will completely stop.  Other times, it's just the reverse, meaning if it's quite, I can open and close the throttle to make it start popping.

Seems something in the ECU control causes it, rather than a specific rate of decel and reverse load on the engine.  I have experimented with this a lot.  ;)

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
I quite like the popping / gurgling / rumbling on decel.  Makes it sound real mean.  8)

I find it interesting that whether it pops or not is partially controlled by the timing of closing the throttle.  Sometimes it will be popping / rumbling during decel, but if I crack the throttle then close it again, it will completely stop.  Other times, it's just the reverse, meaning if it's quite, I can open and close the throttle to make it start popping.

Seems something in the ECU control causes it, rather than a specific rate of decel and reverse load on the engine.  I have experimented with this a lot.  ;)

Are you running a full system or a slip-on Rob?

Offline madcap

• Only slightly nuts
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
Did mine when I installed my 2 bros slip on and PCV - had the bike apart anyway, and only took 5 minutes and $1.50 for the rubber plug and a couple of zip ties. Used the instructions you referenced, just didn't realize from the pics that the hose is a bit hard to get to under the intake. Easy enough though, and I've had no poppping ever. Main reason I did it though - I've done the same on every bike I've owned, and they all just seem smoother that way - to each their own though. I'd recommend doing it.
Anything you say, can and will be misquoted and used against you.

2009 CR14 - Red (ish)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
Did mine when I installed my 2 bros slip on and PCV - had the bike apart anyway, and only took 5 minutes and $1.50 for the rubber plug and a couple of zip ties. Used the instructions you referenced, just didn't realize from the pics that the hose is a bit hard to get to under the intake. Easy enough though, and I've had no poppping ever. Main reason I did it though - I've done the same on every bike I've owned, and they all just seem smoother that way - to each their own though. I'd recommend doing it.

Yep, I decided to do it!! 8)

My Muzzys carbon fiber dual full system and PCV etc installation started this afternoon, I opted to have them do the air injection block off while everything was apart and easy access to, hope it helps...  :-\

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »

Are you running a full system or a slip-on Rob?

ZX14 dual with 2 Two Bros slip-ons.  8)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250