Author Topic: Fitting the ZX1400 system to a 2011 Concours 1400  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Kiwi Graham

Fitting the ZX1400 system to a 2011 Concours 1400
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
Fitting a duel exhaust to the 2011 Concours 1400

First off I purchased an as new stock 2007 ZX1400 Ninja system. This is the last year before cats were incorporated in the system.

The stock ZX 1400 twin pipe system fits with very little modification and in my opinion gives the bike that much needed balanced look that only a twin pipe system can give to a bagged tourer.

First off remove the lower parts of the fairing and unbolt and ‘swing’ the radiator away from the header pipes. Remove the original single muffler. Remove the original headers.

Fitting the ZX1400 headers is a simple bolt back on process, even the support mounting lines up below the right hand side foot peg.
You can now put back the radiator and fairings.

Right hand muffler;
Elongate the mounting hole 5mm in the hanger bracket (that attaches to pillion peg) allowing the muffler to sit a little lower clearing the bottom of the bag and when mounting include 7mm (approx 5) of stainless steel washers drawing the muffler closer to the centre line of the bike. Job done.

Left hand muffler;
You will need either the Muzzy bracket (for their duel system) or need to make a bracket to fit on the left hand pillion peg mount to hang the muffler from. The Muzzy bracket has an oem look about it and does the job very well. You will need a stainless steel M10 bolt 80mm, nylock nut and 23mm of washers. Simply mount the muffler ensuring the washer draw the muffler towards the centre line of the bike

I have removed the centre stand and am in the process of extending the foot tang so it will clear the left hand intermediate pipe. This requires an 80mm extension. A simple cut and add job making sure you re-enforce the joint with an insert.

The side stand will also touch the intermediate pipe. To cure this I simply stuck a 5 gram self adhesive wheel balancing weight to the face of the side stand stop (where the two surfaces touch when folded up) this will keep the stand just off the pipe when up.

Tried in vein to attach pics, will try and attach pics in posts below.

Offline Kiwi Graham

Re: Fitting the ZX1400 system to a 2011 Concours 1400
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »
Fingers crossed this works

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the write-up.  I wonder if anyone would disagree that is how the bike should have come from the factory.  Why does the blue on your bike look so different - is that just the exposure?
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
Offtopic:

I assume that medium blue is one of or the color of 2011 C-14's (GTR's) in New Zealand- are there other colors available?

Thanks for the photos, this is the first time I have seen that color anywhere. Nice looking bike in that color.

Brian

Fingers crossed this works
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »
Thanks for the write-up.  I wonder if anyone would disagree that is how the bike should have come from the factory.

Not me!

Why does the blue on your bike look so different - is that just the exposure?

Must have something to do with being on the other side of the equator.  The 2011 US bikes were either really, really dark blue (aka black), or some other sparkly shade of gray.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »
Oh the blue colour has a story of its own;

I wanted a blue one but all the NZ blue models had been purchased by an American police force together with all available Aussie ones too.

I bought a silver one and had Kawasaki paint it and was given the choice of colour and getting it approved by Kawasaki NZ.
It is lighter than the original blue model.
The repainting was done by a Mercedes/Porche detailers in Auckland and the finish came out better than the factory paint finish.

Kawasaki alos approved the exhaust mod so all covered under factory warrenty  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:03:31 PM by Kiwi Graham »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
Looks great KG! I love the look of duals on these big bikes!!  :thumbs:   8)

Offline Bagger

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »
Hey, Kiwi ...

I'm happy you posted this modification to the C14/GTR.  I've been thinking about something similar, tho I don't want the HUGE oem cans that the ZX14 has on my Connie.  Waaaay too much weight IMO. 

I had a 2007 ZX14 and removed the exhausts and added Area Ps.  Saved a great deal of weight over the oem's, power increased, heat decreased, but they were too loud for my tastes.

I have a new 2008-09 ZX14 header in stock.  I want to add some aftermarket cans and mid pipes to make some true duals for my C14.  I have Dale's Holeshot single can/mid pipe on the right side of my C14 now.  Love the sound .... very ridable around town, nice burble at idle, and makes noise at WOT.  I want to do the same/same set up on the left side to balance out the bike.  But, Holeshot does not make a left side mid pipe for the C14.  Nor do they do a ZX14 rig either.

BTAIM .... I was on another site couple days ago that had the same/same question about putting aftermarket cans on the C14 to make duals.  The dude from Area P said that doing so would not increase power.  And, 2ndly, would increase heat and prolly decrease mid range power ... plus, sound weird.

These are not things I would like to have after doing all the modifications to the bike's center stand, side stand and making brackets to fit the left side of the bike.

Kiwi ... any tho'ts on how the much larger/heavier ZX14 set up works on the power of the bike?  And, how does it effect the acceleration and other things of the C14? 

Nice write up, BTW.  Enjoyed the photogs as well.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »
Hey, Kiwi ...

I'm happy you posted this modification to the C14/GTR.  I've been thinking about something similar, tho I don't want the HUGE oem cans that the ZX14 has on my Connie.  Waaaay too much weight IMO. 

I had a 2007 ZX14 and removed the exhausts and added Area Ps.  Saved a great deal of weight over the oem's, power increased, heat decreased, but they were too loud for my tastes.

I have a new 2008-09 ZX14 header in stock.  I want to add some aftermarket cans and mid pipes to make some true duals for my C14.  I have Dale's Holeshot single can/mid pipe on the right side of my C14 now.  Love the sound .... very ridable around town, nice burble at idle, and makes noise at WOT.  I want to do the same/same set up on the left side to balance out the bike.  But, Holeshot does not make a left side mid pipe for the C14.  Nor do they do a ZX14 rig either.

BTAIM .... I was on another site couple days ago that had the same/same question about putting aftermarket cans on the C14 to make duals.  The dude from Area P said that doing so would not increase power.  And, 2ndly, would increase heat and prolly decrease mid range power ... plus, sound weird.

These are not things I would like to have after doing all the modifications to the bike's center stand, side stand and making brackets to fit the left side of the bike.

Kiwi ... any tho'ts on how the much larger/heavier ZX14 set up works on the power of the bike?  And, how does it effect the acceleration and other things of the C14? 

Nice write up, BTW.  Enjoyed the photogs as well.

I have had the set up since new so am unable to comment on power characteristics over the standard set up. However going by sound alone it seems to be a more free flowing set up (less restrictive).
Acceleration is crisp, without obvious flat spots and instant! so no complaints their.

Regarding additional weight, I'm not sure there is a massive difference to be honest, the standard single muffler is far heavier than than one of the ZX1400 mufflers so although having the two will undoubtedly add some weight it wont be as much as you think.
If you are after the duel look but dont like the ZX1400 mufflers just use the ZX1400 down pipes and fit the mufflers of your choice (ZX1400 designated fitments) they will fit just the same.

I like the oem look and the stealth factor 'quiet' pipes have plus its all Kawasaki approved, so much so its a mod that the dealer will offer to other connie buyers. The problem being to buy the system from the factory new is a tad over $6k!!!!!!!! so unlikley to be taken up. My set up cost a little over $500.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »
Very interesting read, Kiwi.  Thanx for the information.  Very nice looking bike I may add.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."