Author Topic: Left side high oil leak  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Designkidd

• 2011 Kawasaki Concours 31,400 miles
Left side high oil leak
« on: March 28, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
 >:( i have an oil leak that I am trying to troubleshoot and would appreciate any input to figure out what is leaking. There is a bolt that is tilted down and I have no idea what it is. The location is the left side of the bike and has been spewing oil inside the faring

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Left side high oil leak
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:53:13 PM »
Without really even looking, I am going to guess that is the infamous cam sensor O ring.  Search and you will find many threads about it, it is a good start.  Of course, it could be something else.  The O-ring leak usually leaks very slowly and drips on the manifold, causing a smell and sometimes even smoke.

Welcome to zggtr.org.  Make sure to put the year of your bike in the avatar or signature line.  Also, include mileage when posting on something like the above (saves people from asking for it).  Enjoy!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 07:06:12 AM »
 :goodpost:

I can't make out much from the picture, but oil at the top left of the engine is almost always the exhaust camshaft position sensor leaking.  I've experienced it, myself.  There is an oversized o-ring known as the "MOB" o-ring that resolves this problem.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_136&products_id=528
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:28:44 AM »
Top left could also the valve cover.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
D-Kidd, it looks like you’re gonna have to take off some plastic, use a flashlight, and start investigating.  I would buy the oversized O-ring from Murph first, since that ring is known to fail, and then start digging in.  If it IS the valve cover, check the bolts for tightness and go from there. 

Best of luck!

Ray
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »
Thanks, I bought the o-ring and will try it
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT Auto