Author Topic: Michelin PR4 on dry  (Read 5336 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Michelin PR4 on dry
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »
there are tons of praises for these tires regarding their grip on wet surfaces as well as their longevity.
But my question is for those who drive aggressively and in good climatic conditions: how's the grip? I've always put grip over longevity in my buying decision, lately choosing Michelin Power Power 3 with good results. Less cupping than the Pirelli Angels ST (I haven't tried the GT, and for no particular reason I think I won't).
All opinions are welcome.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Michelin PR4 on dry
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
PR4GT works great for me in dry, but I am not one to push it all that hard.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »
Com'on man!  What are you trying to start?
You can't even buy bad tires anymore. Even the cheap ones are awesome.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 07:04:49 PM »
Mine are feathering at 4500 miles but no complaints on grip. Can't feel the feathering on the road yet so ill keep running them.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »

We do tend to take for granted just how far tire technology has come each decade.  It is pretty amazing how little improvements every few years adds up.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »
If I could still get the PR3's here, I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy them. Thoroughly enjoyed the PR4's as well. Running Pirelli Angel GT's at the moment, only because I got them on special last year. So far I've been enjoying the ride, as the seem to grip nicely in wet and dry.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »
But my question is for those who drive aggressively and in good climatic conditions: how's the grip?

You don't know how funny this is. Well, maybe you do ;)
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 03:51:39 AM »

Agree totally with that statement.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 06:32:49 AM »
there are tons of praises for these tires regarding their grip on wet surfaces as well as their longevity.
But my question is for those who drive aggressively and in good climatic conditions: how's the grip?
I have tried at least 10 different tires in 9 years and 200,000 miles on my C14s. The PR4 is way down my list. It is tied with the Avon Storm 3d for mileage but one of the WORST for grip and handling. Prior to discovering the Avon I have used the PR4 only when I had a long two up trip planned where I need a reliable 5000 heavily loaded miles and wont be riding real aggressively.
The Storm 3D is a much better tire in my opinion at a lower price.  I'd prefer the Bridgestone T30 or the Pirelli Angel over the PR4 if I don't need to go 5000 miles.

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
I've now used 2 sets of PR4's, normal and GT variations so far! I've found riding aggressively in the bends and getting on the throttle hard exciting the corners...I'm getting the back end to start moving around...not a whole lot, but it's there...and I don't like it! I used to go through tires every 6 to 8 weeks like clockwork for almost 3 years, as I used to do a fair distance to work and back every day. I've been using all PR's for many years, I swore by them....eventually went through 9 rear PR3's on the GTR, loved them, but I'm not so sure of the 4's anymore!  :(

Even on the ZX12R, I could get a power slide going using PR3, but the back end was planted 99% of the time, no moving around...and that made a crap load of more power than my GTR does. Didn't have this problem previously using the PR3's on the GTR at all, even with the larger weight difference. Keep in mind the it's generally quite hot here is SA, and thanks to the crumbling infrastructure of this wonderful cuntry ;D, with basically zero police presence...being bored with riding the same road every day...I then and now still ride as fast as I like..when I like. There must be some advantage to living in this affirmative action, white genocidal tax hell hole after all! ;D

Hooligan can attest to the roads I'm talking about, remote and far from built up areas, great for higher go directly to jail speeds...and fortunately not full of cows, goats, sheep, pigs etc., that are to be found everywhere closer to civilization on our roads. Go figure hey!! The closer to built up areas, there they are...walking across national roads, freeways, sleeping on the center isles..in the roads, wherever!! Lol, cattle are regulars in our gardens, eating prized rose bushes, shrubs etc...decimating a garden in no time with immunity. And as an added bonus, you get to pick up a whole load of cow **** afterwards too!! Shoot one, as a well known ex SA rugby player did a few months ago here, and you will end up in jail eventually. I mean, how dare you shoot a previously disadvantaged cow? Never mind the "cow" in question could be a over a ton of Brahman bull...rather pissed off that you are now disturbing his meal and space. @ B.D.F and rrsberry...yes, it IS as bad as your friends say it is..and getting worse by the day! Anyway, I digress...rant over, but its "interesting" here in SA!!

So I'm not getting fantastic millage anyway as most of it is hot climate and high speeds, time for a change me thinks!! Been hearing good reviews about the Dunlop Roadsmart III?

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
You don't know how funny this is. Well, maybe you do ;)

I'm missing something here...  :-[

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »
You're not alone... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »
anyway, since my front tire (tyre?) is still good, I am getting a rear Michelin Pilot RS, the recently released ones, and about 20% more expensive. They seem to be quite an improvement over the Power 3 I have now. After that, we'll see.
And talking about the Power 3, I have to admit that they don't have a tendency to cup like the Pirelli's, although I also do more curves lately.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 04:57:41 AM »
Not that someone has admitted to that I can recall... 

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:18 PM »
Anyone?

One of the guys in my club rides a B'mer K1200GT, and runs these Dunlops on it. He says they are comfortable and grips well in his opinion.

Then again, he is about 5foot 6, and weighs 163Kg (360 pounds), so he should sit that bike down.....

You should see him when he gets onto his bike........ It's hilarious.....especially when the ground is not level.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 07:25:43 AM »
It's my experience also that the PR4 moves around too much, while pushing the bike hard in the corners I've felt the rear tire flex, I now only use the PR3.

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »
It's my experience also that the PR4 moves around too much, while pushing the bike hard in the corners I've felt the rear tire flex, I now only use the PR3.

Ditto...unfortunately we can't get PR3's in this God forsaken country I stay in anymore!! I know someone who bought crap load of PR3, I was offered one the other day, but they are already almost 2 years old and I'm not taking a chance due to obvious reasons! I'll be trying the RoadsmartIII soon.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »

PR4 or PR4GT?  The GT has stiffer sidewalls and I thought should, theoretically, resist flexing more.  Just saying....