Author Topic: the times, they are a changing....  (Read 7621 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
the times, they are a changing....
« on: October 16, 2016, 01:09:13 AM »
I'm totally amazed, that 3 days have passed, and nobody has posted a congrats to the fellow....

Amazing...

:-\
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/arts/music/bob-dylan-nobel-prize-literature.html?_r=0

I was never raised on this music, I had to find it as a child, on my own, and have cherished it since then....
Many kudos, for such a pioneer of musical genre... :beerchug: :beerchug:

I will cry, when this man passes on....

http://youtu.be/e7qQ6_RV4VQ

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline O.C.

Re: the times, they are a changing....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 03:41:54 AM »
Yes indeed, he is a a great artiste, a very deserved award  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »
Nasal voice and I can't understand 1/2 what he's saying.  Regardless if you're a fan or not, that fact that Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for literature just points to the fact the Nobel Prize has lost its luster of late.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »
Lost it with the peace prize 8 years ago.

It's ironic that such an anti establishment icon as Dylan is given the ultimate establishment award.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »
Lost it with the peace prize 8 years ago.

+1
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 07:52:46 PM »
I cant tell the diff between bim and Tom Petty at times.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 04:32:21 AM »
Nasal voice and I can't understand 1/2 what he's saying.  Regardless if you're a fan or not, that fact that Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for literature just points to the fact the Nobel Prize has lost its luster of late.

If you can only understand half of what he's singing how can you say that the Nobel has lost it's luster?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:22:24 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 04:33:30 AM »
I cant tell the diff between bim and Tom Petty at times.

Who's fault is that?    ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline paulthibodeaux

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 04:52:19 AM »
The man could not sing. Had a crappy voice.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 05:16:55 AM »
He should have hooked up with the beetles.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 05:23:30 AM »
The man could not sing. Had a crappy voice.

If you've noticed, he didn't win a Nobel for his voice.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 07:01:49 AM »
Award Tom Petty a Nobel too, otherwise he will be 'heartbroken'  ;D   ........................why not  ;) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 07:07:37 AM »
Should be a shoe-in since he doesn't want to live like a refugee.  8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 07:11:12 AM »
Then Petty and Dylan can get together and write and sing such literary masterpieces as...

http://youtu.be/HmAYziKt2pU

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
If a string of words is forever incomprehensible to you, but the meaning is subtle yet obvious to your English professor, it's called poetry.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
+1.  There's a bunch of rubbish out there as far as lyrics go these days.  I thought it went all downhill starting in the latter 70's.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 12:58:32 PM »
Then Petty and Dylan can get together and write and sing such literary masterpieces as...

I agree! I love that song.    :thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 04:45:47 PM »

I find it difficult to fathom, that someone can dis something like great musical talents, and I do stress great, when they set out to accomplish something.
Dissing the Dyl, is find, you don't understand his lyrics in the least, so you pawn it off...as no talent azzklown selling music fow 50 years...
I'm sure you didn't like Roy Orbison either.. because ... well, maybe his voice wasn't upt to your standards...
Truth be told, his Nobel was not for his voice, or his sound, it was for his lyrical productions, keeping a genre of folk, americana, youths anger, and youthes joys, coupled with the times that changed americas thinking, basically moving forward...

I can't stand to listen to a lot of music, but some has lasted and most have rolled up and rolled out.

Wilbury's were a great meld of talents, wish 2 deaths that occurred, never happened, because I know ththey had more to give...
Oh, I digress, and roll back to a band, called ...The Band.... I suppose they had no talent either....

Tough crowd...

Maybe it just stems from you listening to scratched up records, on a crappy record player, or a.m. radio as a kid..
No body has to like his music, but it sure seems odd that soo many musicians show up, and have showed up, to support and honor him... I guess they are all azzklowns also.
http://youtu.be/pGWAaba5KtQ

We can all agree to disagree...

In his own words,
I would not feel soo all alone, everybody must get stoned.....

As of yet, he has not responded to the commities notifications, nor has he commented on the award...
Insult? Maybe, disrespect... I don't think so... its like pinning a medal on a mountain for being the tallest... it is what it is.

Now, a Noble Lit award forSalman Rushdie, or a.Peace prize for Obama... well, that's a travesty.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 05:15:48 PM »
Wilbury's were a great meld of talents

+1  I have and enjoy lots of their music and that of the individuals

Now, a Noble Lit award for Salman Rushdie, or a Peace prize for Obama... well, that's a travesty.

Yep.  But I have to also agree with others that it still seems way beyond odd that Dylan would be awarded a literature Nobel prize.  It just further ruins the whole Nobel suite in my mind.

From the article itself:

"Mr. Dylan, 75, is the first musician to win the award, and his selection on Thursday is perhaps the most radical choice in a history stretching back to 1901. In choosing a popular musician for the literary world’s highest honor, the Swedish Academy, which awards the prize, dramatically redefined the boundaries of literature"

"others called the academy’s decision misguided and questioned whether songwriting, however brilliant, rises to the level of literature."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 05:49:32 PM »
+1  I have and enjoy lots of their music and that of the individuals

Yep.  But I have to also agree with others that it still seems way beyond odd that Dylan would be awarded a literature Nobel prize.  It just further ruins the whole Nobel suite......

"others called the academy’s decision misguided and questioned whether songwriting, however brilliant, rises to the level of literature."

Mmmm... let's regain an understanding of the Nobel "history", of which there have been a MAJOR amount of "questionable" awards passed out... unless you go back and research them, which I have done, and actually wrote a paper on it in high school, I find it a little, no, actaully a damned sight a lot, hypocritcal, to make a comment as to what constitutes brilliance...
Maybe developing poisen gasses, weapons, virus', and theory, used to kill and maim, medical processes like the lobotomy...really?  And others, that while controversial, were used for alternative reasons,
All in all, judging scientific, and medical "landmarks", most were done for financial gain, and many were not worthy..

Its all moot.
Its a european prize,  the penned words, when read, were what it was judged on in this case. Along with their effect on music, and making people think about the words (if they could understand them, and rationalize the intent).