Author Topic: Gas Cap Lubrication  (Read 22641 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: Gas Cap Lubrication
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »
I did my filter this year and put 21k on the bike. I have another filter and am considering doing it again.  If I was smart, I'd do the valves when I had the tank off.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline O.C.

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 12:58:42 AM »
I'm feeling a bout of the vapors coming on..

Sorry Jim, I just couldn't help myself ....just for you sir   :rotflmao: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQeb5NGt3E
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 04:14:09 AM »
 ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2016, 05:39:59 AM »
I have used pure gas app for years.  Kinds stopped as it became more and more unreliable.  I reported stations that no longer carry unethynoled options and still no updates. 

So my cover is starting to act weird.  Harder to open and close.  So the fix on this thread is to take off, disassemble, clean and lube the internals???  Any tips?  Straight forward job?  Thanks for any experience input. 

Offline wb57

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2016, 07:32:09 AM »
So my cover is starting to act weird.  Harder to open and close.  So the fix on this thread is to take off, disassemble, clean and lube the internals???  Any tips?  Straight forward job?  Thanks for any experience input.

I've done mine twice.  Most recently a few weeks ago and I was much more thorough than the first time.
I opened the cap, removed two screws that hold the latching mechanism and pulled it off leaving the lock components attached.  Be gentle.  I covered the tank opening with a cloth just in case.
Disassembled the latch and worked on each piece for a LONG time with a Scotch Brite pad.  Lubed with some brand of lock lubricant and tested.  Felt some slight notchiness.  Scotch Brited for a good bit longer.  Reassembled and reinstalled.  Hit the lock components with the same lube.
It feels a LOT better than it did.  Don't know what's causing the corrosion on the pieces in question.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »
Mine hasn't been a problem yet, it seems pretty clean on the inside. 98%+ of its 66,000+ miles on E10. Mine usually sits between trips and then gets a bunch of miles put on it all at once. I wonder if it's a local humidity thing and not the ethanol? I often think of Fort Worth's humidity as being too high in the summer until I go back to visit Chicago and am reminded of what real humidity is. :P I return to Texas to cool off. ::)
It does have a good coating of white on top where the key goes in. I put a bit of stabilizer in the tank between trips but I doubt that's why mine is so clean. I keep telling my self that if I ever need to take mine apart and clean and lube it that I'll do this to it. Hasn't been a problem yet so no.

Offline wb57

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2016, 08:58:20 AM »
I did what was done in that pictorial with the exception of using a Scotch Brite instead of the flat file.
You'll know if/when you need to do it.  My suggestion would be to do it as soon as you notice any notchiness rather than waiting.  I spent about 10 minutes getting mine open at the gas station immediately before doing it last time.  Was sure I was going to snap a key off.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »
I did what was done in that pictorial with the exception of using a Scotch Brite instead of the flat file.

Just to be clear, that pictorial (assuming you're referring Fred Harmon's, the one I linked to.) is not about cleaning the gas cap, it's about modifying the latch mechanism so that you can close and lock the cap without the key in place. To do the shown modification with only Scotchbrite would take....?.... years?.

Offline wb57

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2016, 02:34:03 PM »
Just to be clear, that pictorial (assuming you're referring Fred Harmon's, the one I linked to.) is not about cleaning the gas cap, it's about modifying the latch mechanism so that you can close and lock the cap without the key in place. To do the shown modification with only Scotchbrite would take....?.... years?.

That's what I get for skimming over it...  ;)
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline Cuda

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2016, 07:45:30 PM »
Maybe he has LOTS of time
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »
I have this problem fixed replacing the seal on the lock cylinder cove rand also adjusting the tension on the spring that hold the lid down
i used some of that double side tape used to glue moldings on vehicles, now it seals perfectly keeping the moisture away

2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline wb57

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
Just checking back on this thread as I did a fairly thorough cleaning last time around and need to do it again pretty soon.  It was fine up until a tank or two ago and it's now getting pretty rough.  I've *tried* to get food-free fuel whenever I can and have multiple stations near the house with it.  It's just when I'm on the road that it can be a problem. 
Anyhow, it looks like it's been just shy of six months since I did it last.  Never had another bike when this has been an issue.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2017, 02:40:12 PM »
I took mine apart, scrubbed up the internal aluminum parts to get rid of that whitish deposit, used some of that aircraft lube (it plays well with gasoline, apparently), and it works fine. Squirted a few drops of 3-in-oil "Dry Lube" down the keyhole. BTW, this "Dry Lube" is not a graphite powder. It's a liquid, but apparently it dries, leaving a lubricating film on the key internals.

Took me about 10 minutes. It's cheap maintenance.

I remember breaking my key off in the lock with the '03 Honda 919 I had. Don't want to repeat that performance.... ::)
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
Mine apparently is due AGAIN for re-doing.  When I filled yesterday, I wasn't sure I would be able to get it open :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2017, 06:53:47 AM »
I replaced mine with a non locking cap. It seems to be working just fine for me.

That! I want to do just that and get rid of the need for a key.  Where can I get one?

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
That! I want to do just that and get rid of the need for a key.  Where can I get one?

I may go that route in time, but that depends on how long the lube I just did lasts.

I have no idea how well this works. Or doesn't. YMMV.

https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Release-Keyless-Billet-Petrol/dp/B0093CC9SW
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2017, 03:37:10 AM »
I may go that route in time, but that depends on how long the lube I just did lasts.

I have no idea how well this works. Or doesn't. YMMV.

https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Release-Keyless-Billet-Petrol/dp/B0093CC9SW

I checked it out and ordered one.  I never saw the need for a locking cap anyhow.  Thanks for the link!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
Wow, that sounds like a KiPass failure on a bike that does not even have KiPass....

:-)

Brian

<snip>

I remember breaking my key off in the lock with the '03 Honda 919 I had. Don't want to repeat that performance.... ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2017, 05:47:40 AM »
Wow, that sounds like a KiPass failure on a bike that does not even have KiPass....

:-)

Brian

KiPass may be evil, but the ethanol lobby is eviler.  :P
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline wb57

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
KiPass may be evil, but the ethanol lobby is eviler.  :P

Agreed.

Just did the gas cap again, but this time I made everything all shiny with the wire wheel on a Dremel.  Hope this lasts longer than six months.  If not, I think I'll look into one of those aftermarket gas caps mentioned above.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09