Author Topic: Dealer Says I need a new ECU and wiring harness - $5000!  (Read 15643 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Dealer Says I need a new ECU and wiring harness - $5000!
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »
Listen guys, harrummmphing and such, is not progressing a selective solution at this time, I have asked legitimate questions as to how the dealership came to their conclusions, and why it took soo long, and is misdiagnosed..

I highly suggest reading all of the posts prior to this one, then sit back, digest it, and carry on...

This IS a case of questionable dealership practice, no bones about it.. with that said, they should be identified, and borught out into the open, p/m me if so desired, I still have a few inside contacts within KMC USA, I think, and will do whatever I can to assist, but being in Canada, I think you need some legal assistance, as KMC is not really a high priority with your peoples system, in fact, by the warranty restrictions imposed, I think its so low on their radar, they just would be flipping you off.. unfortunatly... but then the dealer has flipped you off, bent you over, and is prepping you for sever wallet penetration without lube..... man...
How much is a gallon of gas up there?
 Maybe it might be worth leaving an unattended can, on the roof of that building.... but wear gloves.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 04:37:48 PM »
Now look who's harrummmphing!  ;D
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
I'm in Edmonton Alberta.  I'm hesitant to out the dealership before I finalize things just in case they lurk in these parts.  As far as legal counsel,  in theory wonderful...  In practicality, it jumps the cost of this ordeal even higher.  The bike was for sale anyway for $10k...  I'm going to see if I can get my $5500 and walk...  Then I can go enjoy my current K1600GT (fully warrantied) and be done with the whole ordeal... 

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 06:44:14 PM »
Hmmm ... you're hoping to end your ordeal via a BMW  ???

I kid! I kid!

(well, sorta)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »
 :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »
Hmmm ... you're hoping to end your ordeal via a BMW  ???

LOL!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »
I'll definitely be ponying up for the extended warranty I didn't have the option for on the Kawi.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »
Here is the RSA, it wouldn't even help trying to contact Kawi HQ. They support their fidiot (F :censored: ing idiot) vendors more than the actual customers.....

I have 2x fellow members in my club, that bought the 650 Versys brand new. Within 2 months, both had to have their frames replaced due to rust from inside the frame. The crap that happened during this time is unbelievable, and way too much top try and type out. One of the guys took his bike to another mechanic here, who used to work for Kawi Racing. He ended up doing a 2-page report on problems found, with the bike going straight from the Kawi-authorised dealer to him. This included loose neck bearings, stripped bolts, harnesses routed incorrectly, just to name a few....
I had great luck with Kawaski USA.  I had 2 problems with my local dealer & a couple other people had the same problems. That dealer eventually lost their Kawasaki franchise & not log after went out of business.  Kawasaki corporate took care of my issues directly.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
If you have not yet called Kawasaki directly about this dealer then I don't know how anyone can help you  :battle:

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
I agree, would be best to contact Kawasaki and ask if they can help.
If they will not help, you haven't lost anything but a little time.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Diablo6v

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 07:11:37 AM »
To MOB..Yes ECU's are interchangeable. I bought one on for my '09 off of ebay and had SISF flash it. It had to be setup for the bike with the KDS system he has. We used it to test his flash in the early stages last year. It is the same part number as the one in my '09.  Zarticus was there with us. He would flash the spare and i would come up on the weekend swap it out and test it for a week. Giving him feed back in the process.  ;)

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 09:06:48 AM »
To MOB..Yes ECU's are interchangeable. I bought one on for my '09 off of ebay and had SISF flash it. It had to be setup for the bike with the KDS system he has. We used it to test his flash in the early stages last year. It is the same part number as the one in my '09.  Zarticus was there with us. He would flash the spare and i would come up on the weekend swap it out and test it for a week. Giving him feed back in the process.  ;)
Yup, If you remember it was my KDS system that programed your 2nd ECU  :chugbeer:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »

Thank you for your response,
I never said an ECU could not be replaced or reflashed To function.
If you go back, and read thru this post, specifically the o/p's description of what took place, and my responses to what he described as actions taken by the dealership, you will find my responses were correct.
The ECU yo purchased off Ebay, had to have been the same year, or generation as your original to have the same part number....which you state. Is a 2009 bike.
Also, the ECU had to be flashed to your bike in order to function.

It clearly would not have been a 2015 ECU you got....

The o/P states he has a 2011, and they "stuck in one from a new bike on the showroom floor", which I assume would be a '15 or '16 model
He said nothing about them flashing it, nor do I think they would, as it was from a new bike....
Nor did they hook up a KDS to analyze the system, had they done that, they could have run diagnostics....which we have no feedback on.

My statements are also based on the differences on ECU and solid state relay modules between 2011 and 2015-16
2011 ecu is 21175-0368  can/usa or 21175-0369 Calif.
The relay box is 27002-0007

2015 ECU is 21175-0958 Can/USA  or 21175-0959 Calif.
Relay unit is 27002-0025

SISF can further explain why what I described as being done by the dealership simply wasn't feasable, but I think if you read what I said, its understandable as why I said it.

I'm still awaiting some semblence of clarification from the o/p as to what the outcome is, once someone does actual diagnostics on the bike.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »
To fill in some of the blanks, it was diablo6v's bike that had the poor connection at the ecu that kept the secondary stepper motor clicking and draining the battery. He and Zarticus were present when we were swapping ECU's trying to find the problem. I had a ridiculous amount of diagnostic time in it, and couldn't find the problem, and IT NEVER SHOWED on the kds unit.

It was almost by accident that I did find the problem... I was back probing the harness/ connector pins at the ECU looking for places that power was present, as I had already determined the secondary stepper motor had to reset before the ECU could shut down. As I pushed the probe into one connection, the stepper motor stopped clicking and shut down. After working the connection, the bike has never done that since.

Funny thing is that I think it was Zarticus who said "no dealer would have ever found that, they'd just say you need a new harness and ECU".

Since the OP talked about the clicking relays, maybe it's not the relays and in fact the stepper motor trying to cycle to reset. Maybe the exact same issue As Diablo's bike.

BTW there is ZERO information on this in the FSM, and zero info on the electrical paths built into the ECU to facilitate a proper shutdown. I now know the procedure, but man, that was a PITA.  Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
Thanks Steve, I wasn't aware by Diab's post that his bike was the mystery connection bike you went nuts on...

I hear what you are saying, and agree, and have also remembered to keep it in my mind when these harness problems arise.

I did however have exception to the list of things the dealer said about the o/p's bike, and find a bit of oddity in their methods... including plugging in a new model ECU...

Please tell my what you think based on the o/p's reporting and what was said to have been done.

Oh, glad to see you are back....no more vacations for you for another year... dammit.....

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 05:26:07 PM »
MOB assuming the dealer put in a 2015/16 ecu, the bike would run but throw alternating ktric / efi codes because the 02 heaters are turned on but the circuit isn't completed. I created this fault on purpose on my own bike just to learn what happens. Steve

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »
I have a feeling that this dealer does not have a clue & switched ECU'S without using a KDS system to "program " to the bike. Just unplugging one from another bike & plugging it into his will not work, The bike will not communicate with it & it will be the same as having no ECU at all !! 

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »
Sorry everyone, I've been away and couldn't get back to this.  For clarity, them dealer did not swap ecu's as they are not interchangeable off of a '15.  They only swapped relays and such that WERE interchangeable.

I'm going to the dealer today to discuss.

Offline wb57

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2016, 02:51:20 PM »
Any updates to this???
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
Gotta love it when people post questions & get other people involved then just leave ya hanging  :banghead: