Author Topic: Dealer Says I need a new ECU and wiring harness - $5000!  (Read 15695 times)

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
Re: Dealer Says I need a new ECU and wiring harness - $5000!
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 06:00:21 AM »
Definately what MoB said.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 06:43:10 AM »
Definately what MoB said.

You should know KR..... the same sh :censored: t happened to you not too long ago...... Battery issues.....

And that after we had to travel  with a pick-up to collect you from a distance....:deadhorse: :rotflmao:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 01:30:59 AM »
Fortunately just the battery in my case....but I must admit I shat myself when every error possible on this bike was indicated!! Only thing EVER gone wrong in all the years I've had it!!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 02:46:08 PM »
Best guess lottery on when O/P returns with verdict or updates??

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »
Sorry for the delay...

I had already tried a new battery..  Dealer assures that both grounds were checked.  Interesting development though....  The dealer called offering to buy it from me as is...  At a STEEP discount of course...

Still no idea what to do...

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »
Dealer assures that both grounds were checked.

Guys here already told you it sounds like the dealer either doesn't know what they're talking about, or they're schisters.

Interesting development though....  The dealer called offering to buy it from me as is...  At a STEEP discount of course...

Sounds like proof of schisters.

To start with, check the grounds yourself. It's not that difficult.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
Sorry for the delay...

I had already tried a new battery..  Dealer assures that both grounds were checked.  Interesting development though....  The dealer called offering to buy it from me as is...  At a STEEP discount of course...

Why on earth would they want to buy a bike with either the ECU or a bad wiring harness even at a steep discount?  Uh, we know it's either a bad harness or ECU.  But we're nice guys so we'll buy the bike as is back.   

What's a 2011 worth these days?  My question to them would be WTF?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 03:06:57 PM »
As the bike sits in pieces at the dealership with 15 hrs diagnostic time @$130/hr already into it...  I can't exactly stroll into their shop and test the grounds myself...  A helpful as those comments are..

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »
They claim they can take their slow winter months and perhaps some used parts and get it going...  I the bike as is is worth $10k Canadian....  I can't work out any math that puts more than $5k in my pocket no matter what I do... 

I'm inclined to see if they'll give me $5500 for it and I wash my hands of the whole headache..

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 03:25:02 PM »
Not a good situation no matter what.
Sorry man.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
Sorry for the delay...

Hey, sorry I was kidding around because this happens frequently... please understand I didn't mean to dis you, just want to know what happened..

With the newfound revelations, I have to ask how much they offered you????
Now, as was aptly coined moments ago, they a ppear as "schiesters"... so what in their minds, would make them want to drop $5k into repairing a bike because they bought it for a good deal.....? Eh?

When I was in highscholl I was building MGB's and MGA's as a hobby, a kid I knew thought my cars were cool, and picked one up that was pretty nice, but not running... towed it home, plopped a battery in it, and it started, but died, and never started again...  he called me up to come over and "fix" it... he had no money, just paid $700 for a non running car... I was a poor kid that had a talent, and an awesome grage filled with tools...(pops was a master mechanic, but ran when I worked on those British cars....)
I went over with some basic tools, a tow strap, a battery, and looked the car over... not bad, it needed work, and a top, but looked ok.. I asked him his money stuation, and he said he was broke... I knew this car needed about $800 to make it "nice".
All looked ok, but some wires underhood were not.. when I looked at the new battery he installed in the rear battery box, I asked him how much he wanted for it, just as it sat. I also told him realistically low prices for the top and other things it needed, basically cost of parts and bring me beer...

He wanted full price, I countered with $575.
And towed it home... pulled the battery out, recharged it, installed a spre voltage regulator I had, and taped up some wires.. and installed the battery correctly, POSITIVE ground.. like all proper Britt machins had, and drove it for 4 years during its restoration, and sold it for $2500 when complete.. same car, as it sat then, would bring $30k.

I didn't schiest him, I just offered him a price... these guys you have wanting this bike are serious offendors, as they are a dealers minions...

So, we here try to help make the owners experience a good one, these are great bikes, and truely even what seem like big issues, are often very simple no cost things... my advice, is get another dealer involved....
Heck, the guys that wanted to buy yours might have read what we said here, and learned something.... bwaaa haaa.

Please, get another opinion, and hold onto it, at least get a reasonable price.

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 03:33:46 PM »
I'd love to get a second opinion...  But two problems persist with that...

1.  No other Kawi dealers within an hours drive
2.  That would mean forking over $1600 to them for diagnostics and be absolutely zero further ahead than I was when I took it to them.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »
As the bike sits in pieces at the dealership with 15 hrs diagnostic time @$130/hr already into it...  I can't exactly stroll into their shop and test the grounds myself...  A helpful as those comments are..

That's dreadful....
At what point in this process did you figure to stop the timeclock?

You got $2K tied up and nothing to show for it... this is not good... ma Kaw needs to be involved...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »

2.  That would mean forking over $1600 to them for diagnostics and be absolutely zero further ahead than I was when I took it to them.

:yikes:  Do you have a detailed bill stating exactly what they did in their diagnostics? Not sure where you are at but would consider getting some legal advice. Sounds like extortion to me.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2016, 03:48:48 PM »

Well, you are exactly zero further than when you brought it to them, and in the hole for costs.. now they will want to charge to reassemble the bike? I'm sure they will, if it is not assembled now... grab the bike and run... an hour drive, with bike in truck or on a trailer, to a dealership that can and will use the proper Kawasaki Diagnostic tools and computer, to say exactly what is wrong with the bike (did tyghis part somehow get missed... ???) Is required..

What exactly did they say when you asked if and what they found using standard Kawasaki programs and analysis tools, like the KDS 3 complete system?

Did they have this system? Did they use it? Id walk in and ask them ti run the diagnistics on it in front of you, and show it to you, after them fugggin around for 15 freaking hours... they are f.o.s..
They cold not have run correct procedural work, viable to Kawasaki, and billable as a Kawasaki dealership, unless they follow specific protocal...
Period.

You need some serious legal backing here, and some serious talking with Kaw, and it isn't gonna happen thru this dealer, who is wayyy off base, and may be b-slapped by Kaw for this whole charade.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 04:09:15 PM »
This is a horrible situation.  Like others, I think something shady is going on here.  These bikes are very reliable.... having a bad wiring harness is quite unusual.  Them "spending" $1600 just to diagnose with nothing to show for it so far is wild.  I am not even sure what advice to give you.  I would probably call Kawasaki.  You can see why we almost insist people spend the measly $127 or so a year for the factory extended warranty- it is not even because the bike might need repair, but even just to protect against dealership strangeness.

Was this bike single owner, bought new by you?  Did you buy it from that dealer?  Just curious...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 07:26:33 PM »
Did you bring it to a KAWASAKI dealer ?. If there were a ECU or major electrical problem the KDS system should of picked up some codes. If they have not mentioned any codes & they do not have a KDS system then they should not be working on your bike. Call Kawasaki Corporate & get them involved if this is the case. I would also tell Kawasaki corporate about the dealer wanting to "Buy" your bike. There is a conflict of interest with them wanting to buy your bike while they are supposedly trying to fix it for you. There are some members here that have some contacts within Kawasaki. If you need to go threw corporate then maybe someone here can give you a contact number. 
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 10:42:45 PM »
Here is the RSA, it wouldn't even help trying to contact Kawi HQ. They support their fidiot (F :censored: ing idiot) vendors more than the actual customers.....

I have 2x fellow members in my club, that bought the 650 Versys brand new. Within 2 months, both had to have their frames replaced due to rust from inside the frame. The crap that happened during this time is unbelievable, and way too much top try and type out. One of the guys took his bike to another mechanic here, who used to work for Kawi Racing. He ended up doing a 2-page report on problems found, with the bike going straight from the Kawi-authorised dealer to him. This included loose neck bearings, stripped bolts, harnesses routed incorrectly, just to name a few....
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 12:00:10 PM »
I'm too lazy to attach my "BLAME CANADA" pic, but there ya go. $5500US is the going rate if your trading in a perfect 2011 with low miles at a Euro bike dealer. KBB trade says 6200, but that's fantasy. Dude I don't know what to tell you. I'm eating right now.

Okay. With no other info to go on, sounds like you're screwed. The dealer sounds crooked, so you can't ask them to just put it back together cause your out the shop charges AND they will really screw the bike for you. Just admit you got sucker punched, learn your lesson, and tell them you want the 5500 in quarters. At least you'll leave with about 700 pounds that's worth something.

More bad news... it's only 275 pounds. I looked it up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:39:48 PM by DaddyFlip »
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »
Where in Canada? What dealership? If you are in Ontario I may be able to steer you to some decent ones, and at least you can get these crooks into the light so we can warn off others. Sorry for your ordeal.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja