Author Topic: Grip puppies  (Read 8854 times)

Offline mtn.connie

Grip puppies
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
Any problems, issues etc. with putting grip puppies on a 2011 Connie? I assume it will take few moments longer to get warm, but will they overheat?

Bob

Re: Grip puppies
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
A bunch of guys have already used them over the 2010-11 heated grips with good results!

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:35 AM »
I haven't had them on for a long time with the heat on so I can't say with any assurance that the system won't overheat with the pups on, but so far I haven't had any issues. It takes a bit longer for the heat to come through and probably it's necessary to set it higher than you would without the pups on.

I did note that the Go Cruise device does not work well over the grip puppies; it slips and won't stay in place. I have rolled up the inboard end of the pup enough so that the Go Cruise is now back to gripping the grip, but I haven't tested it out yet. I can't imagine why it wouldn't go back to working as it did before, unless having it over the pup too long stretched it out somehow.

Offline Damn Potholes

• AdvancedSportTouring.com
    • Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I ordered a set for my 2011...actually I ordered 1 set then had to order another when I destroyed one putting it on.  It was a combination of not enough soap and my brilliant idea of using needle nose pliers to pull them on...rip!  They do heat up but it takes longer for the heat to transfer through the additional material.  Its the best solution for the 2011 that I could find.
My parts are forged with voodoo curses and unicorn tears.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:02 AM »
I ordered a set for my 2011...actually I ordered 1 set then had to order another when I destroyed one putting it on.  It was a combination of not enough soap and my brilliant idea of using needle nose pliers to pull them on...rip!  They do heat up but it takes longer for the heat to transfer through the additional material.  Its the best solution for the 2011 that I could find.

I had grip puppies on a previous bike and loved them.  I used an air compressor with the blower attachment and it went on really easy (and it would come off easy too if needed).  If you don't have an air compressor, buy a can of compressed air from Staples or wally world.  This makes any grip installation a breeze.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
I ordered a set for my 2011...actually I ordered 1 set then had to order another when I destroyed one putting it on.  It was a combination of not enough soap and my brilliant idea of using needle nose pliers to pull them on...rip! 

I noted my solution for an easy installation of the pups in the prior forum, may it rest in peace. The trick is to make sure that while the inside of the pup is soapy and wet, that you aren't trying to slip it on with wet, soapy hands. If you place a rag or dry paper towel over the grip, it'll slide right on.

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:21:05 AM »
Putting mine on this weekend, in the garage as the Ohio rain continues...... and continues......... and continues

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:11:16 PM »
How about a link for these?  I have searched for them to no avail.

Offline mtn.connie

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »
Any problems, issues etc. with putting grip puppies on a 2011 Connie? I assume it will take few moments longer to get warm, but will they overheat?

Yes, they were a pain to get on the right bar.  Left was easy.  Best tip is to soak them in VERY HOT soapy water for a while first.

Yes, the heaters take a while longer to soak through.  No, they do not overheat.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomkioti

• Live life like you stole it.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »
I have a 2010 and the grip pups work just fine on it. I used air to float them on. That worked really good.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »
I have Oxford heated grips on my 2008 with grip puppies over the top and they get plenty warm.  I have ridden in temps down to 16 degrees (Fahrenheit) and I didn't even have insulated gloves on.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
Just installed the Grip Puppies.   Thanks for the air compressor idea.   Seriously took 5 minutes max to get everything set up and installed.  What a breeze.   Now the true test is once I get out and use them.   I'll let ya know what I think of them.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
Just put a few drops of liquid dish soap on the inside of the grip and they will slide on, no problem, don't use to much or they will not stick.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
Just put a few drops of liquid dish soap on the inside of the grip and they will slide on, no problem, don't use to much or they will not stick.

Joe, have you installed a CB yet?  I am afraid to install Grip Puppies because the transmit button is so close to the handle bar.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »

I've got both grip puppies and a J&M CB... I haven't noticed any interference...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
I've got both grip puppies and a J&M CB... I haven't noticed any interference...

Thanks.  Guess I am good to put them on.