Author Topic: White semi transparent little bottle by coolant drain?  (Read 7421 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: White semi transparent little bottle by coolant drain?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »
Wow, that would indicate you actually tried to read the manual. I'm impressed, C.

FIFY
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 07:21:39 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
The owners manual says that for the airbox drain to periodically check the reservoir and if there's water in it to remove the cap and drain it.

It really should be in the maintenance schedule if they want us to check the thing!  I read the whole manual, more than once, and don't even remember it being mentioned.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »
I took the left side fairing off and filled up the coolant res. I ran the bike for a while until the fans kicked in. Did not see any more leaks. I looked closely and saw that it was not the cracked bottle that drained the stuff out. There are two small hoses underneath all that and are not capped. I saw one of them still wet and had the same smell and taste as the stuff that poured out the previous night. These are hoses that are just open at the end. I will take a pic and post later. So still not sure what poured out - but I think all is good now.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
Awaz, I have had my 08 puke a bit out of the overflow a couple of times. I think it's just the system burping a bit of air. As long as the fluid level is good I say no worries.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 07:17:50 AM »
It really should be in the maintenance schedule if they want us to check the thing!  I read the whole manual, more than once, and don't even remember it being mentioned.

It's in the '08 manual, somewhere...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
It's in the '08 manual, somewhere...

It is probably in all of them... I was just saying that they should have put it in the maintenance section too, since that is what we owners typically look at the most as a checklist of things "to do".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »
Personally, I'm glad the EPA found it necessary to collect the muck from the airbox into a tiny bottle.  : /

Pull the cap, wet your fingers, and smear it around your neck before going into the club!!  : )
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »
I've always liked the smell of oil and gas in the morning..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 04:51:23 AM »
I've always liked the smell of oil and gas in the morning..

Smells like, victory...    :)

Offline mikegy

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 06:27:44 AM »
If it is actually coolant it would have nothing to do with the small collection bottle you took a picture of earlier. You did not mention year and mileage and how much work may have been done to the bike in the past. The coolant reservoir should not overflow and puke out the overflow hose unless it was overfilled or you have a major cooling system problem.

I have 80K miles on C14 and can only relate my experiences. I had coolant leaking twice. The first incident (around 30K) (major leak) was a result of a crack in the coolant reservoir bottle caused when the bolt holding it was over tightened and cracked the bottle. Easy fix. That was the last time I had anyone else touch my bike.  The second was a small leak that appeared to be dripping off one of the hoses but upon further inspection it was coming from one of the weep holes on the bottom of the water pump. That was at 75K. Over time the seal in the pump bearing will wear out and the weep holes are designed in the pump with that purpose. I replaced the pump which is an easy fix most people can do.

If you are leaking coolant, I would nor ride it until it is fixed. Low coolant volume and system pressure will potentially overheat the engine quickly with city riding. The leak is easy to fix, the head is not.

Just my two cents.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
If it is actually coolant it would have nothing to do with the small collection bottle you took a picture of earlier. You did not mention year and mileage and how much work may have been done to the bike in the past. The coolant reservoir should not overflow and puke out the overflow hose unless it was overfilled or you have a major cooling system problem.

I have 80K miles on C14 and can only relate my experiences. I had coolant leaking twice. The first incident (around 30K) (major leak) was a result of a crack in the coolant reservoir bottle caused when the bolt holding it was over tightened and cracked the bottle. Easy fix. That was the last time I had anyone else touch my bike.  The second was a small leak that appeared to be dripping off one of the hoses but upon further inspection it was coming from one of the weep holes on the bottom of the water pump. That was at 75K. Over time the seal in the pump bearing will wear out and the weep holes are designed in the pump with that purpose. I replaced the pump which is an easy fix most people can do.

If you are leaking coolant, I would nor ride it until it is fixed. Low coolant volume and system pressure will potentially overheat the engine quickly with city riding. The leak is easy to fix, the head is not.

Just my two cents.

Bike is 08 and with only 20k miles.. I did ride it for about 60 miles on the highway to test it and the 'problem' seems to be gone.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14