Author Topic: Yet Another KI-PASS Thread (or...maybe not)  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Yet Another KI-PASS Thread (or...maybe not)
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:51:35 AM »
At the risk of getting the sword, or being beaten about the head and shoulders from others, I have a situation that I'm not sure has been addressed in the 1,647 threads there are about the beloved KI-PASS system.

My C14 is a 2012 model, essentially unadorned but for Steve's ECU flash, a slip-on, and a couple of other unrelated things.

Yesterday, after work, I did what I usually do:
  • Pressed down on the stovepipe and saw the knob thingie on the panel.
  • Turned the knob from the 7 o'clock position to where the bezel says "run".
  • Encountered no detent at all where the knob should have wound up, resulting in no Christmas-tree lighting ceremony.

I tried this multiple times -- turning the knob, getting no engagement. Returning the knob to the "off" and "FSS" positions; removed the knob, reinserted, continued fishing around for the knob to detent where it should have. Nichts, nada, zero, zip.

At this point, I was getting slightly worried. "Am I gonna have to leave the bike parked here and call my wife in order to get home?" I asked myself. Said a little prayer to the KI-PASS god.

That must have worked, because eventually, the knob stopped at the "Run" position, the Christmas-tree lighting ceremony happened, and I was able to ride off into the sunset.

WTF happened here?  :-\
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: Yet Another KI-PASS Thread (or...maybe not)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:30:45 AM »
That would suck.  I'm getting ready to do 4700 miles, I don't want that to happen really far from home. 
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »
Interestingly enough, I went in the garage to try mine out and I felt a detent between off and run.  It just didn't act right.  Tried a few more times and it finally came up with low transponder battery.  Changed it and it all works fine now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »
You probably used it too much when it was new.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »
Why does everyone exaggerate when it comes to Kipass? There were only 1352 Kipass threads (before this one).
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
Don't know how many kip-ass threads but I've been here since the dawn of time and I don't recall this particular glitch being reported before.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
Neither do I, but it wouldn't hurt to change the fob battery.  I'm glad this thread came up as I'm getting ready to head to southern va this Saturday morning.  I've had the low transponder error before but I've always changed the battery before the next start.  Never have run into this foolishness with the knob before.  I could twist it past the 'detent' but the switch was acting screwy....all over a low battery.  Who would have thunk it?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
Why does everyone exaggerate when it comes to Kipass? There were only 1352 Kipass threads (before this one).

Oh please, there were only 1351 threads.  ::)

Offline d04011

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - don't EXAGGERATE!
Current Rides: 2016 Kawasaki ZX-14R SE; 2015 Kawasaki Concours; 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster; 2012 H-D Fat Bob; 1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Offline jwh20

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 05:20:06 PM »
I don't think this is a KiPass issue at all.  I think the problem is with your stove-knob key.  My guess is that someone messed with it and tried to force it to turn.  There is a clutch mechanism inside the knob that prevents it from breaking off if someone tries to force it to turn without the KiPass activation.  After you messed with it enough it got back into the normal position and worked.

When you pressed it and you saw the screen light up, the KiPass system had done its thing.  After that it's strictly a mechanical key system.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 05:38:12 PM »
Oh please, there were only 1351 threads.  ::)
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - don't EXAGGERATE!

;D
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »
I don't think this is a KiPass issue at all.  I think the problem is with your stove-knob key.  My guess is that someone messed with it and tried to force it to turn.  There is a clutch mechanism inside the knob that prevents it from breaking off if someone tries to force it to turn without the KiPass activation.  After you messed with it enough it got back into the normal position and worked.

When you pressed it and you saw the screen light up, the KiPass system had done its thing.  After that it's strictly a mechanical key system.

Interesting, and thanks. I had no trouble today at all. I think you may be right about turning the knob ONLY when prompted -- not when I'm ignoring the screen trying to figure out where the damned detent is.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 06:24:39 PM »
Neither do I, but it wouldn't hurt to change the fob battery.  I'm glad this thread came up as I'm getting ready to head to southern va this Saturday morning.  I've had the low transponder error before but I've always changed the battery before the next start.  Never have run into this foolishness with the knob before.  I could twist it past the 'detent' but the switch was acting screwy....all over a low battery.  Who would have thunk it?

More sage advice. I bought the bike NOS last September. It pretty much from the start gave me low battery warnings on the TPMS, along with the regular battery, so it's not hard to imagine that the fob's battery might be weak too. Dunno if that had anything to do with my problem yesterday, but batteries of this type are relatively cheap. Time to get a new one.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
You probably used it too much when it was new.

:rotflmao:
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline jwh20

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 04:21:02 AM »
More sage advice. I bought the bike NOS last September. It pretty much from the start gave me low battery warnings on the TPMS, along with the regular battery, so it's not hard to imagine that the fob's battery might be weak too. Dunno if that had anything to do with my problem yesterday, but batteries of this type are relatively cheap. Time to get a new one.

Also you may want to familiarize yourself with the KEY IMMOBILIZER feature of the FOB which will work if the FOB battery is dead or if you inadvertently parked the bike where there is RF interference that keeps the KiPass FOB from working properly.  The bike CAN be started with a dead FOB battery but the time to figure it out is BEFORE you need it.  It's all in the Owners Manual.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »
Also you may want to familiarize yourself with the KEY IMMOBILIZER feature of the FOB which will work if the FOB battery is dead or if you inadvertently parked the bike where there is RF interference that keeps the KiPass FOB from working properly.  The bike CAN be started with a dead FOB battery but the time to figure it out is BEFORE you need it.  It's all in the Owners Manual.

thanks!
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »
Yep, as the other poster already said, once the dash LCD lights up, KiPass has already worked. And also as he mentioned, you probably have a broken ratchet mechanism in the stove- knob key and when it turns it does not necessarily turn the ignition switch key. At a guess, you are going to need a new stove knob key although there is a remote possibility that you have a loose battery cable connection that is 'cutting in and out' on you.

But certainly you have defaulted to the right place and blamed it on KiPass..... which is ALWAYS the correct thing to do.  ;) ;D

Brian

At the risk of getting the sword, or being beaten about the head and shoulders from others, I have a situation that I'm not sure has been addressed in the 1,647 threads there are about the beloved KI-PASS system.

My C14 is a 2012 model, essentially unadorned but for Steve's ECU flash, a slip-on, and a couple of other unrelated things.

Yesterday, after work, I did what I usually do:
  • Pressed down on the stovepipe and saw the knob thingie on the panel.
  • Turned the knob from the 7 o'clock position to where the bezel says "run".
  • Encountered no detent at all where the knob should have wound up, resulting in no Christmas-tree lighting ceremony.

I tried this multiple times -- turning the knob, getting no engagement. Returning the knob to the "off" and "FSS" positions; removed the knob, reinserted, continued fishing around for the knob to detent where it should have. Nichts, nada, zero, zip.

At this point, I was getting slightly worried. "Am I gonna have to leave the bike parked here and call my wife in order to get home?" I asked myself. Said a little prayer to the KI-PASS god.

That must have worked, because eventually, the knob stopped at the "Run" position, the Christmas-tree lighting ceremony happened, and I was able to ride off into the sunset.

WTF happened here?  :-\
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

elp_jc

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 06:27:42 PM »
There is a clutch mechanism inside the knob that prevents it from breaking off if someone tries to force it to turn without the KiPass activation.
My money is on that theory too. But more like a 'clutch', it's a tab, that once jumped, you need to turn the knob until the tab relatches into its groove again.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 11:45:12 AM »
ratchet? clutch? tabs?

somebody take one apart......the thing I'm pointing at is a roll pin....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
The diagnosis of most KIPASS problems
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....