Author Topic: Credit card fraud alert  (Read 4548 times)

Offline BrianK

Credit card fraud alert
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I just wanted to cast out a warning about what happened to me this past weekend because of the location of the crime. Me and the wife went to Two Wheels of Suches in northern Georgia and while there I used my debit card to fuel up. That was the only thing I used it for and somehow someone was able to steal the card info and spend $500 using the card as a credit card so they didn't need my pin#. The bank told me the purchases originated out of Norcross GA. I decided to post this because I know there is an event in the area in a few weeks. I will get all unauthorized purchase $ back but it takes about 10 business days so my $$ is tied up until then. Luckily the theft didn't happen until we got home so we weren't short changed during our trip. Keep an eye on your accounts while on the road! >:(

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Credit card fraud alert
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
by any chance does your debit you card have the contact-less(wireless) symbol on the back?? like this
http://tinyurl.com/jdcsz45
If it does not then some one read it when it was out of your sight or there was a second reader overlay-ed (attached in front of the pump  card reader. )
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline BrianK

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »
I don't see that symbol on the back.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:08:45 PM »
This is why an ATM card should *never* have a Visa or other credit card logo on it.  I have warned people for many years, from the day they came out.  When my bank sent me one without my permission, I cut it up and demanded an ATM card (which they quickly provided).

It is already stupid that credit cards don't have a PIN code, which would immediately stop most fraud.  It was the epitome of stupid to then create a fake credit card that is really just an ATM card, link it to your CASH account, and have no PIN code.  Anyone who obtains the card can immediately drain your entire savings/checking account.

If you want to use a credit card, use a credit card... someone else's money until you pay the account!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:29:20 AM »
That's why I have been paying with cash for years.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 07:07:01 AM »
What is this cash you speak of?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
I had a  credit card cloned some years ago, it was used to pay local authority taxes in Nottingham, and car parking fines in London, I was living some 200+ miles away at the time and had no property in either location so it wasn't too difficult for the culprit to be identified, stupid or what !  I got all my money back (about 1500GBP)

Back in the day a signature was required until PIN numbers were introduced in order to improve security........................yeah right  >:(   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »
What is this cash you speak of?

No matter if it's heroin, cocaine, or hash
You've got to carry weapons 'cause you always carry cash
There's lots of shady characters, lots of dirty deals
Every name's an alias in case somebody squeals
It's the lure of easy money; it's got a very strong appeal
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline BrianK

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »
That's why I have been paying with cash for years.
I can't carry cash with me, it burns a hole in my pocket to quick, also I will be getting back every penny that was unauthorized within 10 business days. When you lose cash your'e SOL. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »
I can't carry cash with me, it burns a hole in my pocket to quick,

I am a cheapwad, so I don't part with my cash easily :)

also I will be getting back every penny that was unauthorized within 10 business days. When you lose cash your'e SOL.

While that is good, had you used a credit card, instead, you would not have lost $0 and for 0 days.   I still encourage you to revert back to an ATM card.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
Back in the day a signature was required until PIN numbers were introduced in order to improve security.

And the USA, we *still* don't have PIN codes on credit cards.  It is mind boggling.  (A signature is essentially zero security)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »
I can't carry cash with me, it burns a hole in my pocket to quick, also I will be getting back every penny that was unauthorized within 10 business days. When you lose cash your'e SOL.

I've read that people spend an average of 12% more when they use a card. I'd imagine that's because it doesn't feel as "real" as cash ... i.e. you don't see the actual dollars going away from your hand to another person's hand. Of course that is only an average.

Yeah, "... a Dunn & Bradstreet study found that people spend 12-18% more when using credit cards than when using cash. And McDonald\'s found that the average transaction rose from $4.50 to $7 when customers used plastic instead of cash." from http://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/08/pay-in-cash.asp

I use cash partially because while I don't formally "balance" my acct, I like to login and check it from time to time and don't wanna wade thru a butt load of legit transactions looking for the fraudulent one(s).

The other reason is for the skimming / cloning issue.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 11:06:42 PM »

I use cash partially because while I don't formally "balance" my acct, I like to login and check it from time to time and don't wanna wade thru a butt load of legit transactions looking for the fraudulent one(s).

I'm with you on that one
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14