Author Topic: Deepest Exhaust sound?  (Read 25391 times)

wcgreen

Deepest Exhaust sound?
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »
So, the 14 is my first "non-cruiser", and I am considering replacing the exhaust this year.  Coming from bikes like the Suzuki M109R, my aesthetic leans more to a deep sound... not into volume, just depth of tone.  I have listened to a TON of videos online, but it's really difficult to get a true idea of tone.  Curious if anyone has actually heard the various slip on pipes in person?  Thoughts?  From the videos, to me, the Vance & Hines and the Two Brothers "sound" the deepest.   Love to know your thoughts from those with experience witnessing the sound of pipes like the V&H, Two Bros, and the Delkevic.
Thanks!
B

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Deepest Exhaust sound?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:27:24 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

what's wrong with the muffler that came with the bike?
 ::) ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

wcgreen

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:29 PM »
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

what's wrong with the muffler that came with the bike?
 ::) ::)
Too quiet, and too damn big... and that thing's ugly!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 01:01:58 AM »
Too quiet, and too damn big... and that thing's ugly!

To each their own.  But there is no functionality in a motorcycle being loud.  Quiet is considerate, comfortable, modern, and nice.  I think that it is not too large (when the bags are on) and not at all ugly, but you are not alone in thinking it is unattractive.   If you plan on replacing it, there are lots of choices and many, many dozens of threads the topic it on this board  (you need to look under "Accessories" forum if you want to find those threads).... so you came to the right place.

If you are expecting to turn a wonderful I4 engine sound into something like a V-twin... you probably aren't going to be very successful.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

wcgreen

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 01:49:39 AM »
To each their own.  But there is no functionality in a motorcycle being loud.  Quiet is considerate, comfortable, modern, and nice.  I think that it is not too large (when the bags are on) and not at all ugly, but you are not alone in thinking it is unattractive.   If you plan on replacing it, there are lots of choices and many, many dozens of threads the topic it on this board  (you need to look under "Accessories" forum if you want to find those threads).... so you came to the right place.

If you are expecting to turn a wonderful I4 engine sound into something like a V-twin... you probably aren't going to be very successful.
I would like another exhaust, but for the money, I am actually thinking of getting the Top Block Sliders instead, so I can get rid of the Canyon Cages.  I think they bother me more than the exhaust does.  If the Top Blocks work as well as the CCs then that might be what I choose to do instead.  With the wife, and school, I have to pick my battles...  Probably the Copperdawg and the Top Blocks if I had to prioritize.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:45:53 AM »
To each their own.  But there is no functionality in a motorcycle being loud. Quiet is considerate, comfortable, modern, and nice.  I think that it is not too large (when the bags are on) and not at all ugly, but you are not alone in thinking it is unattractive.   If you plan on replacing it, there are lots of choices and many, many dozens of threads the topic it on this board  (you need to look under "Accessories" forum if you want to find those threads).... so you came to the right place.

I find it covers the buzzing from the tinnitus quite nicely.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 05:43:00 AM »
I find it covers the buzzing from the tinnitus quite nicely.

So would listening to music in earphones.... far more interesting and doesn't bother anyone else, either.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
I would like another exhaust, but for the money, I am actually thinking of getting the Top Block Sliders instead, so I can get rid of the Canyon Cages.  I think they bother me more than the exhaust does.  If the Top Blocks work as well as the CCs then that might be what I choose to do instead. 

Has been a while since the Top Blocks were mentioned.  I don't believe they will work as well as the CC- especially regarding the bags/rear, and especially at anything more than a stand-still fallover.   Aesthetically, they are much better than the CCs, of course.

I don't think the CC's look bad, but they don't look good either... I would prefer to not need them, but the purpose they serve is so important, I can overlook the minor distraction.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:03:53 AM »
I rode domestic V-Twins for years and they all had aftermarket exhausts. I have a Muzzy system on my C14 and find it to be quite quiet, until I romp on it. At 85 mph, I don't find it at all loud.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 09:51:48 AM »
Being a relatively high reving 4 cylinder, I don't think you will ever get a "deep" sound like a V twin. You can certainly get deeper then stock but nothing like your M109R. One possible solution would be to go to a motoGP race and fall in love with the high rev sound  ;D

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
I would like another exhaust, but for the money, I am actually thinking of getting the Top Block Sliders instead, so I can get rid of the Canyon Cages.  I think they bother me more than the exhaust does.  If the Top Blocks work as well as the CCs then that might be what I choose to do instead.  With the wife, and school, I have to pick my battles...  Probably the Copperdawg and the Top Blocks if I had to prioritize.

My friend dropped his C14 while pulling out of a downtown St Augustine FL curbside parking spot, so very low speed. It landed on the left Top Block and even slid / rotated on it a little. The only thing that touched the ground was the Top Block.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 04:23:34 PM »
My friend dropped his C14 while pulling out of a downtown St Augustine FL curbside parking spot, so very low speed. It landed on the left Top Block and even slid / rotated on it a little. The only thing that touched the ground was the Top Block.

Long discussions in the past comparing the two.  I believe the conclusion was something on the order of:

The Top Blocs do work (and do look better, by far).  And for a basic, zero speed fallover on level pavement, they work about the same.  But at any speed, the Blocs start to lose over the canyons.  The bike is easier to rock over the Blocs and slam the top section stuff.  The CC fronts offer more protection from uneven road and anti-pivot.  And with the Blocs (and no rear CCs) the bike can also pivot front to back and smash the bags.

Aesthetically and sense-wise, one good combination would be the rear CCs with the Top Blocs.  It isn't as good as front and rear CCs, but it is better than just Top Blocs alone.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:44:36 PM »
So, the 14 is my first "non-cruiser", and I am considering replacing the exhaust this year.  Coming from bikes like the Suzuki M109R, my aesthetic leans more to a deep sound... not into volume, just depth of tone.  I have listened to a TON of videos online, but it's really difficult to get a true idea of tone.  Curious if anyone has actually heard the various slip on pipes in person?  Thoughts?  From the videos, to me, the Vance & Hines and the Two Brothers "sound" the deepest.   Love to know your thoughts from those with experience witnessing the sound of pipes like the V&H, Two Bros, and the Delkevic.
Thanks!
B

Mr. WCGREEN, I was mocked mercilessly by my friends and kids re. that long black rocket launcher until I launched it into the nearest dumpster and bought the V&H CS-1 slip on . After 4 years and deeeep tones, still lovin' it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 09:17:16 PM »
I, on the other hand, have never heard a single comment about my stock muffler from a single person, ever,  over the 5 years I have owned it.   Although I got LOTS of compliments about how nice the bike looks, questions about the model, etc.

Just sayin'

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 05:12:49 AM »
I, on the other hand, have never heard a single comment about my stock muffler from a single person, ever,  over the 5 years I have owned it.   Although I got LOTS of compliments about how nice the bike looks, questions about the model, etc.

Just sayin'

Oh I see, so our comments to you about that hideously large exhaust can don't count?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 05:35:26 AM »
Oh I see, so our comments to you about that hideously large exhaust can don't count?    ;)

I can't hear you......

The only comments I have ever *seen* about the muffler are on this forum!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 06:42:19 AM »
Max, we're good enough we're all you'll ever need.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 06:52:36 AM »
I, on the other hand, have never heard a single comment about my stock muffler from a single person, ever,  over the 5 years I have owned it. 

Just sayin'

You either need to get out more or you're hanging with the wrong people. I don't want Sport Touring bike to sound like a Prius.  ;)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »
I have been asked why I need to have a bazooka aimed at the car behind me and weather or not owning a bazooka was legal. My response was that it was only a potato launcher and therefor legal.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 08:17:03 AM »
I have been asked why I need to have a bazooka aimed at the car behind me and weather or not owning a bazooka was legal. My response was that it was only a potato launcher and therefor legal.

Even with the onboard fuel bottle and the push button ignition?