Author Topic: Mesh Jacket  (Read 14707 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Mesh Jacket
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »
I had a 60mph deer strike last year with the Alter Ego pants and jacket on and it proved to be less than adequate. I ended up with rash on both of my arms and 3rd degree burns on my right knee due to the material melting. For me, pants are a crap shoot (Vanson Odessy pants, 1000 denier cordura) but the jacket is always leather, and my hands and feet can never be too hot <<opinion. Lets face it, you can ride naked and still be hot in the summer so if i'm going to be hot regardless, I would rather be protected. That said I do use a Roadcrafter when it drops below the 40's, but Aerostitch textile is in a category of its own.

Those are the pants that I ride with. Did they melt right through the knee pads?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Joncon11

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »
Those are the pants that I ride with. Did they melt right through the knee pads?

Yes sir they did, as a matter of fact, last week the last (I hope) piece of chared fabric popped its way out of my knee (accident in October). Don't get me wrong, the construction is top notch and maybe under different circumstances they would have been adequate, but I do suggest staying away from anything with "poly" in the name. There's a lot of gear out there that does...

Edit: To be fair, it shaved the edge of the pad down and worked its way through from there.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »
Yes sir they did, as a matter of fact, last week the last (I hope) piece of chared fabric popped its way out of my knee (accident in October). Don't get me wrong, the construction is top notch and maybe under different circumstances they would have been adequate, but I do suggest staying away from anything with "poly" in the name. There's a lot of gear out there that does...

Edit: To be fair, it shaved the edge of the pad down and worked its way through from there.

Damn!

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
Looks like your about 3 hours away. Come on by and take a look at my jacket, I'll let you buy me lunch.
I have a Speed and Strength jacket with separate overpants.  You can check these out and buy me dinner.  But I am north of ConraD so he gets the first meal.  :)

I'm still riding with a liner in......
That's the nice part about my SnS gear.  You can zip off the sleeves to reveal mesh in warm weather.  Plenty of vents to unzip too.
However, WI does not reach 112f for days, like in TX or AZ, so I just took off sleeves today.
And the SnS jacket has two liners for warmth.  I put one liner in come September and the inside vest when October comes.  And then a parka over those in November.  I may have to try a heated jacket one of these days.  :)  The pants have a liner too.  And the pants have a zip-off panel to reveal a mesh butt.

I got my SnS gear from a LaCrosse, WI dealer during the COG rally last year.  ATGATT since then.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »
That's a big corn field cuz I'm in the middle of one too.

Looks like your about 3 hours away. Come on by and take a look at my jacket, I'll let you buy me lunch.

I might have to take a trip down that way one of these days. I will PM you before I come. Nothing else, will be very interested to see what else you have to offer from Bike Bandit ! lol !
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
I might have to take a trip down that way one of these days. I will PM you before I come. Nothing else, will be very interested to see what else you have to offer from Bike Bandit ! lol !

I was riding down in the Starved Rock area a couple of weekends ago, too bad we didn't hook up then.

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »
Joe Rocket Phoenix.
 :thumbs:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I have a Speed and Strength jacket with separate overpants.  You can check these out and buy me dinner.  But I am north of ConraD so he gets the first meal.  :)
That's the nice part about my SnS gear.  You can zip off the sleeves to reveal mesh in warm weather.  Plenty of vents to unzip too.
However, WI does not reach 112f for days, like in TX or AZ, so I just took off sleeves today.
And the SnS jacket has two liners for warmth.  I put one liner in come September and the inside vest when October comes.  And then a parka over those in November.  I may have to try a heated jacket one of these days.  :)  The pants have a liner too.  And the pants have a zip-off panel to reveal a mesh butt.

I got my SnS gear from a LaCrosse, WI dealer during the COG rally last year.  ATGATT since then.

How many WI guys do we have?

Offline Stavee

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:02 PM »
 I have 60k on an Olympia air glide 2 and it has been from Glacier in a snow storm to death Valley at 118 deg. and all the other states as well. So last week I purchased an air glide 3 to replace this jacket at the end of this year.;D ;) ;D
First bike '38 DKW

Offline t2sfd

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
2nd on the Tour Master Sonora Air Jacket. I recently wore it on a trip to Ocean City, MD. The trip down from PA was 97 deg F for about 3 hours of the trip and it kept me as cool as can be expected. There was some stop and go on the one section for about 15 miles or so and I didn't mind having the jacket on at all. I'd definitely recommend it. I also have the Hi-Viz Yellow.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
How many WI guys do we have?

Nobody would actually admit that Mike...  ;D

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »

Nobody would actually admit that Mike...  ;D

I guess its just the two of us...actually there are a decent amount up here.  I don't think its that cold still, but I only ride 5 miles into work so it doesn't bother me as much.

Back on subject, I have the Cortech GX Air with Leather (I think its been replaced with an updated version now).  Same company / quality as tourmaster gear, but the shoulders, back, and forearms are leather while the rest is mesh.  It seems like a great compromise that lets plenty of air through.  Also comes with a rain liner and winter liner, but even I haven't had to break out the winter liner and I ride down into the 20s.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline koval68

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:05 PM »
I really like my Rev'it Tornado jacket and pants. Great air flow and liners.

Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »
+1 for the Rev`It brand gear.  I'm running their grey/black Air jacket and Rotor pants

About the only time I get warm is if I get stuck in traffic in town.  Just be forewarned that they can be a bit chilly after the sun goes down and neither has a removable thermal liner.  I usually just throw on my rain suit jacket over top to act as a wind breaker when the temp are cooler in the morning or after dark.  The bike keeps my legs plenty warm.   ;)
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
Mesh riding gear??

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 05:17:02 AM »
Mesh riding gear??

Whoa! Now THAT will keep anyone warm, but cool? Ain't gonna happen.

:P

Bob

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »
I'm actually surprised that Jim hasn't nuked that photo!  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
Mesh riding gear??

Holy crap, who stole her nipples?!!!!  ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
Well, some things money can't buy!!!........... but, I went out at lunch and picked up a Tourmaster Sonora Jacket in the gray to go with fast silver...... Thanks for the tip!!