Author Topic: Headlight Protective Film  (Read 4912 times)

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Headlight Protective Film
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:34:43 AM »
So I certainly wouldn't mind the sticker film for the whole headlight assembly made just for the C14.  Can't locate

What I NEED though, is just a few square inches.  There is a little crack (not migrating btw) at the side of my headlight plastic - I want to add the protective film to seal it up - keep water out.

Is there a regular name for this material - that will hold up to headlight heat, weather, etc ... ?

How it happened - don't ask. 

sailor_chic

Re: Headlight Protective Film
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:53:51 AM »
http://www.thetankslapper.com/

I have this on mine and it holds up great and is nearly invisible. Warning, it isn't easy to apply. But its also worth the effort.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »
http://www.thetankslapper.com/

I have this on mine and it holds up great and is nearly invisible. Warning, it isn't easy to apply. But its also worth the effort.

So I guess you just replace it when it gets worn?  They have a video that actually shows putting it on the Concours headlights... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QERyFHz6Po8v

Since it is applied with water, how does it stay on when it gets wet, like when washing???  Don't the edges want to lift?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
Max. It is a bugger to apply, but stays perfectly. Mine looks as good now as when I applied it 18 months ago. NO edge peeling, no discoloration. I do have some bug splats that need my attention, but those are the least of my C14 worries right now.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 04:33:03 PM »
Video makes it look so easy! Good to see there are 2 separate halves for putting this on. I could use this but not sure how much patience I would have and just rip it in pieces. I take it comes with the plastic squeegee for application?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
Video makes it look so easy! Good to see there are 2 separate halves for putting this on. I could use this but not sure how much patience I would have and just rip it in pieces. I take it comes with the plastic squeegee for application?

Experts make a lot of stuff like that look easy- applying drywall compound, roofing, playing the flute, walking on a tightrope, programming computers, etc.   Grrrrrr.    I know when I tried putting some reflective film on my skylights, it was a nightmare of bubbles and wrinkles.... same thing when I tried to put a screen protector film on a phone.  And yet the reflective film I put on my panniers was a snap.  Go figure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 04:14:18 AM »
I got so frustrated putting mine on that it wound up in the trash can.   Unless you really have a lot of patience and some experience I would pay a professional to install it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 06:55:21 AM »
Well thanks for the info and link.  Sure is tempting (and smart) to cover the entire lenz.  However, I usually foul these things up too.  At the very least, this will work for my problem patch.  Thanks again!

BTW - the clear bumper guard I installed on one of our cars was a wet application.  I'll just say the factory installed ones looked better.   ;)

sailor_chic

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 10:55:15 PM »
Indeed Lucas make the install look easy in the Video. One redemption that I will say about the application is that is is NOT a one shot deal. If you mess up or are not happy, lift up on that section or the entire piece and reapply. Lots of soapy water is your friend.

Someone asked about the squeegee, no, its not included. He does sell them also and they aren't very expensive

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:05:00 AM by sailor_chic »

elp_jc

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
What I NEED though, is just a few square inches.
Hey, PM me your address and I'd send it to you in a letter envelope as a Christmas present, free of charge ;D. Got a piece of VentureShield laying around when I last did a car. By the way, it's never recommended to put that stuff on plastic headlights with halogen bulbs, especially motorcycles, since they're on all the time. Ruins the plastic due to excessive heat (much more brittle, etc).

sailor_chic

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 06:10:55 AM »
Hey, PM me your address and I'd send it to you in a letter envelope as a Christmas present, free of charge ;D. Got a piece of VentureShield laying around when I last did a car. By the way, it's never recommended to put that stuff on plastic headlights with halogen bulbs, especially motorcycles, since they're on all the time. Ruins the plastic due to excessive heat (much more brittle, etc).
I have to disagree with you on this point. Here is a link for the 3M website and it shows that it can be applied to the headlight

http://www.3mventureshield.co.uk/what-is-it/

elp_jc

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »
I have to disagree with you on this point. Here is a link for the 3M website and it shows that it can be applied to the headlight
One thing is what the manufacturer says, and another one reality ;D. Both shops in Austin and Tucson told me they'd do it on headlights, but at my own risk (no warranty), since they had lots of warranty claims. Both shops don't install 3M's Crystalline tint for the same reason (lots of warranty claims), so thought it was just 3M products. But they don't guarantee their preferred material (SunTek) on headlights either, especially on motorcycles. Finally, we do lots of things to our bikes that are not recommended, or even legal ;D. So I mentioned that just as an FYI. If you haven't had any trouble, that's good news. But that doesn't mean your plastic is not degraded already. I personally don't do clearbra anymore; just don't see the benefit. It still gets messed up with pebbles. And if you don't clean it after a summer trip, the sun will embed bug juice into the film, and you have to remove it, like I had to do on my last car ($1,500 down the drain). It's all risk vs benefit. Even on the crap infested roads here in the windy desert, I've never had issues with my bikes. Just a small chip or two in decades of riding. My cars are a different story though, but I found out touching up chips looks better than damaged clear film, and don't have to wash the car immediately after a trip anymore. Works for me. On my sports cars, I avoid interstates like the plague, so they're in much better shape than my travel cars. Take care.

Angelo, envelope on its way. Hope that helps.

sailor_chic

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »
Well I knew that you would know better than anyone else. Personally I have it on my bike now for almost 30,000 miles / 18 months and it still looks great. And I dont wash it after every ride.  I put 1,000 miles on it, park it for the night and repeat the process for numerous days. So back to my original reply to the OP, I recommend the headlight film from Tankslapper.com.