Author Topic: Super Sad First Post... Richmond people please chime in  (Read 7224 times)

Offline tpnewsk

Super Sad First Post... Richmond people please chime in
« on: November 06, 2015, 10:18:15 PM »
Long story short, what's the best Kawasaki dealer in the Richmond, VA area?

My C14 was the victim of a hit and run in the fan at some point in the last few days :(. Unfortunately I had just moved southside, and I finally had a minute to go fetch my bike and bring it over, only to find that it had gotten clipped and a bunch of **** broken on it, including the right side case, front fender, and the ignition (yes, the almighty KIPASS) is totally boned too because I had the front wheel locked.

Hoping to talk to my insurance agent tomorrow, and I'm assuming I need to get the thing towed to a Kawi dealer to get an estimate. Worried that if the forks or front wheel got bent it'll get totalled (its an 08 w/ 50k on it). Which Kawi dealer does this group like more, Ken's or Ultimate? To my knowledge those are the only 2 around (I got it used).

Thanks all for your input.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Super Sad First Post... Richmond people please chime in
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »
Sorry to hear about it.  Some drivers are such douche-bags.  :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 06:19:09 AM »

Sorry about your misfortune. I don't have personal experience with either dealer. Ultimate Cycle has been very good to the c14 community by offering the extended warranty program at a very good price so that's where I'd look first. Good luck.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 06:19:55 AM »
Sorry to see such a sad sight! Good luck with the repairs and your insurance company.

I'm not from your area but I've heard many good things about Ultimate.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tpnewsk

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »
Sounds like Ultimate is the place to go then! Thanks all

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »

Mention to Pete that we(the Forum) suggested his business.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »
Mention to Pete that we(the Forum) suggested his business.

Definitely.

I have ordered the extended warranty twice from them/him and both times it was a fantastic deal, good customer service, and no problems.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 05:28:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about it.  Some drivers are such douche-bags.  :(

Sorry also...and, yes, they are... :'(
'02 C-10

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »

Ultimate for sure, they have been Kaw oriented for a longtime, I purchased the first C14 in Va from them in '07
Ken's has only been doing Kaw sales for a short time...

make sure you mention COG to them for us, they will give you great service.
I think they may be closed mondays tho, call and setup n appointment.

good folks

bummer about the bike..... it looks like your picture of the broken bag was taken on Blvd.... near Ellwood?
man, I would never leave my bike for 5 minutes parked on that street....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:59:58 AM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 03:17:26 AM »
sorry to see what happened to your bike, I wish you the best.
One request, if possible: could you keep us posted about how this unfolds?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »
Just follow 60 out of town going west and they are on the right past 288.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tpnewsk

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 09:52:47 AM »
Ultimate for sure, they have been Kaw oriented for a longtime, I purchased the first C14 in Va from them in '07
Ken's has only been doing Kaw sales for a short time...

make sure you mention COG to them for us, they will give you great service.
I think they may be closed mondays tho, call and setup n appointment.

good folks

bummer about the bike..... it looks like your picture of the broken bag was taken on Blvd.... near Ellwood?
man, I would never leave my bike for 5 minutes parked on that street....

Stuart & Mulberry, right by Blvd & the VMFA. It sucks but what can you do, you've gotta park where you live. The worst part was that I moved earlier in the week to someplace where this wouldn't have happened. Was going back to finally ride the bike over and I find it that way.

Looks like my insurance will pull through and cover it under uninsured motorist coverage... $200 deductable for me but that beats several $k. They towed it to Ultimate yesterday. The most expensive thing I think will be replacing the KIPASS, anyone know how much that runs? Also hoping that the forks & front wheel aren't bent, but so far those seem OK.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
Why are they replacing 'KIPASS'?  Was the ignition switch damaged?  If so, that's a mechanical issue.  The KIPASS ECU is under the seat.  I wouldn't think that they would be replacing that.  But to answer your question, if the ECU is replaced you are looking at big bucks.  However, if that was part of the accident then it should be covered by ins..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »
What's done is done and sorry for your loss.

Canyon cages might have saved a lot of damage.  Might consider them if where your moving to
doesn't have a garage - as I assume you didn't have a garage where it got damaged.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 06:25:28 AM »

Canyon cages might have saved a lot of damage.  Might consider them if where your moving to doesn't have a garage - as I assume you didn't have a garage where it got damaged.

Great advice.
@tpnewsk: may I advice you also selling the bike and never riding one again? even better: stay at home, don't cross a street, and don't eat or drink. That way you'll be safe!  ::)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline tpnewsk

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 08:31:22 AM »
Why are they replacing 'KIPASS'?  Was the ignition switch damaged?  If so, that's a mechanical issue.  The KIPASS ECU is under the seat.  I wouldn't think that they would be replacing that.  But to answer your question, if the ECU is replaced you are looking at big bucks.  However, if that was part of the accident then it should be covered by ins..

Ah, no, not the ECU. It's just the ignition switch that got destroyed (at least I think it's destroyed). I had the handle bars locked (to the left), and whoever struck it hit the front wheel and broke the lock/ignition, the whole assembly was loose and wouldn't boot up when I tried plunging the key.

Canyon cages might have saved a lot of damage.  Might consider them if where your moving to
doesn't have a garage - as I assume you didn't have a garage where it got damaged.

Thanks. I was actually thinking about this, one of the positives was that the right side case absorbed all of the impact, and everything else is fine as a result of that. Even the fairing didn't get any damage. What do the cages bolt to? If it bolts to the sub frame then the way the bike fell could have potentially bent the sub frame or frame instead.

Great advice.
@tpnewsk: may I advice you also selling the bike and never riding one again? even better: stay at home, don't cross a street, and don't eat or drink. That way you'll be safe!  ::)

Good idea   :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 09:39:08 AM »
If it was hit hard enough to break the locked ignition are they going to inspect the frame/neck/steering bearings/forks/fork clamps etc.? If the ignition is replaced, that's also the kipass ecu and all fobs isn't it?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
I wouldn't think that would affect the KIPASS ECU.  Whooa here!  It does sense the rfid portion of the fob.  Totally forgot about that.  If it's integral with the switch then a new ECU might be in order or it could just be that they program it to the existing ECU...  But in either case, it's all part of the insurance I would think.

Offline tpnewsk

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 02:57:15 PM »
The quote for the repairs to the bike at the moment is $5,267  :o. That's almost what I paid for it back in July! There's several fairing pieces and also the front headlight slated to be replaced, even though those looked fine to me. Might stop by after work tomorrow and take a look at the bike to see if maybe it fell over again while being towed??

If it was hit hard enough to break the locked ignition are they going to inspect the frame/neck/steering bearings/forks/fork clamps etc.?

I'm going to check in with their service department and make sure that they've done their due diligence. There is a line item on the estimate for "Upper Front Susp Fork Tube Bracket" priced at $242, which might be the upper triple clamp.

I wouldn't think that would affect the KIPASS ECU.  Whooa here!  It does sense the rfid portion of the fob.  Totally forgot about that.  If it's integral with the switch then a new ECU might be in order or it could just be that they program it to the existing ECU...  But in either case, it's all part of the insurance I would think.

There's only a line item for the ignition switch ($625) plus 'Program KIP', so it looks like the ECU and almighty FOBs stay, and they reprogram the switch only? Which I'm cool with because I get to keep my glorious double Fob situation cuz it's an 08  8).

Also, they've quoted replacing the exhaust on the bike, the Area P can (which, again looked fine to me when I checked out the bike). Assuming this is going to get replaced, first off, the PO tells me its a full Area P system, so would another brand of exhaust can fit? I assume so if I just use the other mid-pipe. Two, what aftermarket exhausts are quieter than the Area P? In the threads I've found people say the Area P is relativly quiet but I don't know what they're goin on about cuz this thing is loud as f***. It sounds like a race bike. It's glorious of course, but I'd prefer to not make my new neighbors hate me, and also be more stealthy when I'm zipping around town.

If I could I'd put on the Akrapovic, but I doubt my insurance would cover that. Is the Akra quieter than the Area P though? More likely the Two Bros or Delkvic assuming that the dealer is a distributor for those, and those have available inserts which would accomplish the quieting I desire/require...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
I'm surprised they aren't going to try to total it.