Author Topic: Throne for the Queen!  (Read 7889 times)

Offline agolder

Throne for the Queen!
« on: October 23, 2015, 05:32:44 AM »
Ok, finally got my wife to stop complaining about selling my 2001 GL1800.  Only took 7 years but now she is happy and you know what they say about "Happy wife...!"  I've seen some of these being sold for $300+ and this only cost the arm rest from my old office chair and $15 worth of parts from local Home Depot.  I know it kind of odd looking but I can remove it in 5 minutes to make the bike look stock.  Took my wife for a 5 hour ride and she loved it.  If anyone has any idea on how I can improve on it, I would love to get some feedback.

Alex

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Throne for the Queen!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:10:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Nice job!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »
Welcome! The wife would probably like a backrest pad on the trunk. Have you replaced the crappy oem plastic rack?

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
The wife would probably like a backrest pad on the trunk.

My first thought as well.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »
Very ingenious, be sure you don't compress the grab-rails unevenly, they are made of plastic and I'd bet, hollow.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
Seems you have the fastest color already...  Welcome to the forum.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:49:09 PM »
If anyone has any idea on how I can improve on it, I would love to get some feedback.
I do. Remove it ;D. Just kidding man. It's ugly, but functional. At the end of the day, it's better to ride an ugly bike than not ride at all ;). I'm on a super minority of people who don't like to add anything not OEM-looking to his vehicles. And yes, sometimes I hate myself. He he. Good luck.

Offline lugnuts

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 06:34:13 PM »
 ;D OK,yeah ya got me ive been looking for an armrest solution for ages, so im lovin this idea. Just bought some adjustable arms from an office supplier here in oz, thanks agolder. :thumbs: Mick.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 07:23:55 AM »
My wife will not ride with me. I've told her for years that if she did I would get a wing. Nothing else seems to have a back seat throne like a wing.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
agolder, I hate you.  >:(
My wife saw your picture, and wants some armrests.

I just completed rubber inserted footpeg's for her yesterday.
Last month, I added a lower backrest on the trunk,,
Phil's rack and moved trunk back in the spring,,
Baldwin seat with special passenger area at Christmas,,
Trunk and upper backrest before that..

So, now (thanks to you) it's back to the drawing board...

But, a happy wife, is a happy Ted!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:02:15 PM »
I would assume, nay require, that she get some work done back there.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
agolder, I hate you.  >:(
My wife saw your picture, and wants some armrests.

So, now (thanks to you) it's back to the drawing board...

Who's fault is it? 

If your wife hadn't seen that picture - would you still hate him?
Did your wife go online and find this by herself and say "hey I want some of those" ?  OR did you show her?   ;D

Good luck on starting over...... :banghead:

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »
Ok, I take it back.   
Agolder, my apologies.
I take back 1/2 the nasty things I sed about you.    :doh:

I didn't mention, I'm recentlyretired.
So, most of these projects are self induced; to keep the Boss happy
                                                                to give me projects to figure out
                                                                and a bad case of farkle-itis.

Currently working on a better way to secure the bike to the trailer.
    (Yes, I know I'm a sinner).
Tying this Connie down securely is a PITA.
So, (I think) I found a way to do it with 4 turn buckles. (No straps).

After that I'll look into the throne again...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »
a bad case of farkle-itis.

Currently working on a better way to secure the bike to the trailer.
    (Yes, I know I'm a sinner).
Tying this Connie down securely is a PITA.
So, (I think) I found a way to do it with 4 turn buckles. (No straps).

First of all, "Farkle-itis" is an incurable disease .. .I've tried but to no avail ;D (does it look like it bothers me?)!

Second of all, why do people put their bikes on trailers? Other than a bike that won't move because somethings wrong, I don't get it ???? If my bike is running then I'm riding it to wherever it is I need to go. My bike will NEVER see a trailer unless I'm taking it to the shop for repairs and the bike won't make it on it's own ... that's the ONLY time! I feel like my bike would never forgive me if I rolled it onto a trailer when it knows it can take me where I need to go :P

Someone told me to "trailer" my bike home when I bought it ... NO WAY! I told them they were crazy and that I was riding home! My bike was bought 3 hours away form home so I rode it home and enjoyed every minute! The only "trailer" time my bike has ever seen was the bed of a tow truck when I punched a hole in the radiator!

Just wondering why guys do it because I have never had or known of any other reason to trailer my bike ... that's all.

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
First of all, "Farkle-itis" is an incurable disease .. .I've tried but to no avail ;D (does it look like it bothers me?)!

Second of all, why do people put their bikes on trailers? Other than a bike that won't move because somethings wrong, I don't get it ???? If my bike is running then I'm riding it to wherever it is I need to go. My bike will NEVER see a trailer unless I'm taking it to the shop for repairs and the bike won't make it on it's own ... that's the ONLY time! I feel like my bike would never forgive me if I rolled it onto a trailer when it knows it can take me where I need to go :P

Someone told me to "trailer" my bike home when I bought it ... NO WAY! I told them they were crazy and that I was riding home! My bike was bought 3 hours away form home so I rode it home and enjoyed every minute! The only "trailer" time my bike has ever seen was the bed of a tow truck when I punched a hole in the radiator!

Just wondering why guys do it because I have never had or known of any other reason to trailer my bike ... that's all.

Mike

NOT all of us live in a climate where we can ride year round.
I might take a trip this winter to escape the cold and could not ride out of my state even if I wanted to.
Icy roads and negative temps are not my idea of fun.  Not to mention the high winds that come with many snow storms.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »

NOT all of us live in a climate where we can ride year round.
I might take a trip this winter to escape the cold and could not ride out of my state even if I wanted to.
Icy roads and negative temps are not my idea of fun.  Not to mention the high winds that come with many snow storms.

Fair enough .. was just wondering. I had a feeling that was it but had to ask because when the weather is bad don't you have to travel quite a distance to find good riding weather? I thought most just "bagged up" the bike and put it away (you can tell I haven't been out of California much :-\) for the winter.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »
As far as putting the C14 on a trailer...I used to be a naysayer but after riding cross country from the East coast to Reno (was heading for CA but just could not ride any more), I can certainly see that as a possible option.

Mandatory Disclaimer

I am not in the market for a trailer (sorry Conrad).  I'm not even thinking about a trailer unless it applies specifically and unequivocally to this post/reply.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
Why do people put their bikes on trailers? Other than a bike that won't move because somethings wrong, I don't get it ???? If my bike is running then I'm riding it to wherever it is I need to go. My bike will NEVER see a trailer unless I'm taking it to the shop for repairs and the bike won't make it on it's own ... that's the ONLY time! I feel like my bike would never forgive me if I rolled it onto a trailer when it knows it can take me where I need to go :P

Fair question; here are My excuses..........   :o

1) Wife won't make long trips, but likes to go, and if she goes, I get to go more often.
2) I've made lots of long rides. Don't like to ride endless miles on highways anymore. 
3) I live in Houston Texas. EVERYWHERE I go, requires endless miles on highways (at 100*)
4) Bad back. Can't ride endless miles anymore.
5) Unlike many {hint, hint}, I assist at most events I go to. Often haul gear to assist.
    (ie; At many events, my trailer (and I) serve as the vulture wagon; to go get broken down riders).
6) I have a 2 bike trailer, and I often haul other guys bikes (That "say" they would never trailer) <grin>
7) I'm a wimp, that prefers to trailer to an event, enjoy the event , and then trailer home. (Dry, and comfortable)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 05:51:28 PM »
All good reasons.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Fair enough .. was just wondering. I had a feeling that was it but had to ask because when the weather is bad don't you have to travel quite a distance to find good riding weather? I thought most just "bagged up" the bike and put it away (you can tell I haven't been out of California much :-\) for the winter.

I have always put my bikes away for winter time.  This year I will put the Connie in the trailer to store it and IF
I can't stand the cold anymore, it will be ready to tow South where I can ride.

I towed to VA in June and it rained hard in every state I when though - by trailering I didn't have to stop and
when I got to where I was going I could use it as a garage - so the bike never had to sit outside at night alone.   ;D
I also have wired my trailer for electric and water so I can sleep in it - with my bike(s)  :chugbeer: