Author Topic: A Year Later  (Read 20755 times)

Offline mikeb2411

A Year Later
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »
Hey everyone, I bought my 2012 Concours a little over a year ago (May 2014) after going 20 years between bikes. My first bike was a Kawasaki EX 500 which I figured out real fast was too small. I went from that to a Kawasaki ZX6 and while owning the ZX6 I bought a Honda Magna which I HATED! It was a great deal so I bought it but rode it a little and sold it because it was a long way from the type of bike I enjoy riding.  I sold the ZX6 20 years ago when my wife became pregnant and we bought our house. It took about 5 years before I was bugging my wife for a new bike but she wouldn't budge (gotta love that woman for keeping me grounded)!

Flashback to 2008...I have a friend who was all BMW and was constantly telling me I should buy the RT but then another friend who worked for Kawasaki told me I should check out the newly released Concours. I did and when I first saw the Concours in 2008 I fell in love with it and knew it was the bike I wanted next but between the house and kids I couldn't justify buying one at that time...truth is, I still couldn't convince my wife to let me buy one :-[.

FINALLY, in May of 2014 I found my Concours on "Cycle Trader" and asked my wife if I could buy it and she said "yes" :o! After I picked myself up off the floor from the shock of her giving me the "green light" I called and set up the deal and a week later was riding home on MY Concours! The bike was in San Bernadino which is about 3 hours South of where I live. My wife and 12 year old son drove down with me and our first stop was Chaparral Motorsports to buy my gear (Helmets for my wife and I, SENA Comms for both, pants, jacket, boots and gloves). Many of you live outside of California but if you ever get the chance to go to Chaparral Motorsports...DO IT! That place is awesome!

Bought my gear while surviving "looks of death" from my wife as the amount spent kept increasing >:( After the shopping we went and bought the bike. I test rode the bike first and I'm going to be honest...I was scared to death, after 20 years, to be on a bike as big as the Concours! It was pretty "sketchy" to say the least :-[! As scary as it was I loved it and knew I wanted...needed it so I bought it and off we went.

Now, picture this...my wife and son in the car behind me. My son has my wife's helmet on and the comms connected and he's talking to me as I ride and they follow behind. We would stop at lights and people would look at him in the car with a Modular helmet on and laugh...but he didn't care, he thought it was the coolest thing EVER!

Now, I'm going to admit, I was NOT comfortable on the bike for quite some time. I remember being afraid of it's size, how heavy it felt when cornering, and I remember riding down the freeway or through the twisties and squeezing the grips SO tight and being so rigid that rides were uncomfortable...it was terrible! I couldn't get over the thought of this big bike I was on and thinking it was going to fall over every time I tried to push it through any curve. For a long time I had "Maxtog" chicken strips (sorry Maxtog, I still love you but your chicken strips were the only reference I had).

A year into the bike I went on a 5000 mile road trip with my brother and prior to the trip was learning to relax and get more comfortable on the bike but wasn't quite there yet. Keep in mind prior to my road trip that I pretty much commuted back-and-forth to work and did some occasional weekend rides but nothing real long or anything where I pushed it beyond my comfort level with the bike. I still had some doubts on what the bike could do and how hard I could push her.

Day one on my road trip I was riding, about 8 hours in the saddle at this point, and was riding toward Prescott, AZ through the mountains (the twisties) and it wash there that I first scraped pegs...I was shocked and elated at the same time! I had actually pushed the bike to a point I thought it couldn't handle...scraping pegs! Scraping pegs wasn't and still isn't my goal but it was, at that moment, where I realized I didn't have to fear the bike like I did before that. I still respect it but don't fear it. For your info, the twisties going into Prescott are BEAUTIFUL 15-25 mph switchbacks...and lots of them!

I spent the rest of my trip riding through all the twisties on all the passes I could find and had a blast. It was the road trip that allowed me to finally break through and become comfortable on my bike...the big Concours I though was too big and heavy wasn't anymore. It was the perfect bike for me!

I am now comfortable (just added a Baldwin GT seat a month ago and it made a HUGE difference in my comfort level) and confident on my bike BUT I still have full respect for it. I now ride with a very relaxed grip and my body is relaxed and I am cornering faster and with much more confidence than ever before...especially if it's a road I'm familiar with. My "Chicken Strips" are just about to the edge of the tire now. I have my bike setup perfectly for me and love being on it...can't get enough of it! It's AMAZING what a year and time in the saddle can do for someone. I thought for sure that I was sold on buying the Triumph Trophy as my next bike because it handled "lighter" and better and was more comfortable than my bike is. The Trophy is a great bike and is still on the radar but so is a new Concours in about a year. Knowing that I can set the Concours up so it is "all day" comfortable makes choosing the next bike a tough one. I love the Concours and it's power and handling and am completely content on it. Who knows what's next but I am happy with my choice of buying the Concours and could easily move on to another, newer model when the time comes! LOVE the Concours!

Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: A Year Later
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
Have you pulled the flies yet?
It gets much better without them. It took about 20,000 miles to get really comfy on mine. That bike is a wolf in sheeps clothing. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
Have you pulled the flies yet?
It gets much better without them. It took about 20,000 miles to get really comfy on mine. That bike is a wolf in sheeps clothing. 8)

The flies? I'm not sure I know what you mean by that...sorry :-[. Enlighten me! If it sounds good I'll do it ;D!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »
The flies? I'm not sure I know what you mean by that...sorry :-[. Enlighten me! If it sounds good I'll do it ;D!

Removal of secondary butterflies...I had the same questions 4 years ago..Brian aka B.D.F  was nice enough to write a primer about all that stuff and more...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2200.0

It's a very good read with a cup of Jo'.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »
Removal of secondary butterflies...I had the same questions 4 years ago..Brian aka B.D.F  was nice enough to write a primer about all that stuff and more...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2200.0

It's a very good read with a cup of Jo'.

Thank you Marty...I really appreciate it and glad I'm not alone in my "lack of knowledge" with the terms!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
One of the most powerful sport touring bikes on the planet and these guys are still looking for ways to pull more out of it.  LOL!  To ride legally, you never need to get out of 1st gear!   ::)

Glad you are enjoying the bike.  I wish we could have connected when I was in Ventura the first of June.  Hauled my KLX250S out there and rode the mountains outside of Ventura and the PCH to Monterey and back. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
Might check out the Guhl ECU reflash, makes a tremendously difference below 2000 rpm and will pull from idle.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 05:37:28 PM »
Might check out the Guhl ECU reflash, makes a tremendously difference below 2000 rpm and will pull from idle.

My head is spinning...Guhl reflash or add a PC-V??? I want to add a slip-on for sure and was thinking about adding the PC-V for increased performance but I am so oblivious to this stuff...I NEED HELP!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 05:42:46 PM »

Since we're on the subject maybe someone reading this can help me. I want to add a Two Brother's Black Edition slip-on and would like to increase performance without sacrificing fuel economy. How do I do that...can I do that?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
Mike, I've found fuel mileage is directly related to throttle position and duration at a given position regardless of the bike being stock or modified for performance.  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 08:02:30 PM »
Since we're on the subject maybe someone reading this can help me. I want to add a Two Brother's Black Edition slip-on and would like to increase performance without sacrificing fuel economy. How do I do that...can I do that?

No muffler change will improve performance in any meaningful way on the Concours nor will it affect fuel economy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »
For a long time I had "Maxtog" chicken strips (sorry Maxtog, I still love you but your chicken strips were the only reference I had).

I can't even remember the reference, so no big whoop!  One great advantage of having a ****-poor memory....

Nice story :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
My head is spinning...Guhl reflash or add a PC-V???

The Ghul reflash is super easy and fast (and very effective).  It is the quickie, nearly risk-free, easily undone, gimmie NOW solution.   But doesn't give the flexibility and potential that pulling the flies and adding a PCV offers.   Plenty of threads to read up about before you decide :)

If you want maximum performance, that will mean an exhaust upgrade (which means HEADERS, full pipe, and muffler.... if not dual exhaust) and autotune PCV with flies pulled.  Possibly also larger throttle bodies too (from the ZX14... not a lot of info about that).  It is a lot of time, money, and effort/work.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
Mike, I've found fuel mileage is directly related to throttle position and duration at a given position regardless of the bike being stock or modified for performance.  :)

LOL...yeah, I get the whole "throttle open and use more fuel" concept but I was hoping there was some "magic" behind adding a PC into the mix.

So, one way to gain more power is to add a slip-on and...wait for it...TAKE IT OFF ECO MODE. Then you have the slip-on AND more power :banana :thumbs: :banana :chugbeer:
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »
I bought a used bike with an aftermarket exhaust.  I was reporting much better fuel economy than others with the stock exhaust.  We finally figured out that I was shifting much sooner than everyone else because I would shift when the sound was annoying and never got to really experience  the power band.

What does your wife think about making the bike louder?  Will she still want to ride with you?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »

What does your wife think about making the bike louder?  Will she still want to ride with you?

Haha...I don't know? How much louder does it make the bike...is it a lot louder? You have to remember, this is all new stuff for me! In the past when I had a bike I would get on, ride, park it and leave it alone until I got on to ride again. I did NOTHING to them so this bike is my first where all these extra "goodies" became part of life!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 04:02:07 PM »
How much louder does it make the bike...is it a lot louder?

Ha! Talk about opening a tin of worms!

It depends on whom you talk to on here. I (and probably 'max) would say yes, it is a lot louder. Those who love noise and hate the sewing machine sounding potato launcher bazooka, will say it is an insignificant increase in noise but it saves weight and thus increases performance in ways not visible on a dyno.  ::)  Personally I think it's just a bunch of this.

I've heard a few and without any kind of dB tests or data to back it up, I think the V&H CS One (in black) is the quietest and looks the best, many others in my opinion look like polished ugly little car mufflers.

elp_jc

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »
In my opinion, the TBR black-series C/F looks the best by far (except the ugly strap, but nothing is perfect:)), AND it's available with TWO different inserts to control noise. Any unbaffled straight-thru can (most of them) will be WAY louder than stock, and obnoxious when on the throttle. Some manufacturers offer ONE insert, but they look like an afterthought. And without them, an ugly bolt (or hole) in there. The TBR was designed right, and looks really nice with insert or without. But yes, I'm the kind who only puts OEM-looking accessories on my bike :). I actually like how the pipe looks better with the P1X I have; looks OEM. I'm not a fan of the gaping hole of cans without inserts, and certainly don't look or sound stock. Mine sounds beautiful, and don't have to worry about pissed-off neighbors, or alerting the police I'm coming. Just wanted to get that potato launcher out of there with the least noise consequence. Mission accomplished. Oh, and made my bike (12 lbs) lighter... but also my wallet. He he. Good luck with your choice.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 09:01:55 PM »
Personally I think it's just a bunch of this.

LOL!!!

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »
Slip-on?

Two words: Leo Vince
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold