Author Topic: 2009 abs  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Ghost Rider 2

2009 abs
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
  Can the abs on a bike be disarmed like a chevy truck to test? I have a gmc truck and u can unplug the abs to see if problem is abs or warped rotors. 
Can u pull a fuse or something to disarm abs on a concours?  I getting a slight pulse feeling in front brakes.

Offline JS_racer

Re: 2009 abs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 05:59:34 AM »
stomp on the rear while hitting the front, that's what the abs feels like.

suspect rotors, not the abs, the front abs is not easy to activate, any normal riding and you feel something in the front, money on the rotors being warped, or build up or something.

hope this helps.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 06:21:15 AM »
+1.  Especially if you feel it during 'normal' braking.  I don't think we've had an instance of the ABS being the culprit for pulsing brakes.  You've really got to hit the brakes hard to invoke the ABS system...at least on my 08.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
  Some stupid ass women locked her brakes up in front of me.  I on brakes hard to keep from crash.  ABS activated and the have had slight pulse ever since.  It actually getting worst. And yes it is under normal braking.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:22:49 PM »
Same thing happened to me...it f :censored: ed up the rotors it did.  It shouldn't, but it did.  Not sure if there are deposits causing it or the rotors themselves are to blame.  Unfortunately I think you'll need to replace the rotors.  Are you covered under extended warranty? 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
Same thing happened to me...it f :censored: ed up the rotors it did.  It shouldn't, but it did.  Not sure if there are deposits causing it or the rotors themselves are to blame.  Unfortunately I think you'll need to replace the rotors.  Are you covered under extended warranty?

No I bought this bike used. No warranty.  I wonder if they can be machined on a flywheel grinder?  I have had Goldwing rotors cut that way,

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »
You'd have to check with the one doing the grinding..they aren't very thick.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:34:48 PM »
No I bought this bike used. No warranty.  I wonder if they can be machined on a flywheel grinder?  I have had Goldwing rotors cut that way,

Try a green Scotchbrite pad first- always let off the brake levers a.s.a.p. after braking hard and stopping- that way the dust crap won't bake itself onto the rotors.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:12:45 AM »

Try a green Scotchbrite pad first- always let off the brake levers a.s.a.p. after braking hard and stopping- that way the dust crap won't bake itself onto the rotors.

In my experience it's not the rotors being warped although that's really easy to check for.  Get a runout gauge and check them.  More likely is, as connie14boy and other mentioned, deposits on the rotors.  These are difficult to see but not that hard to feel.  Gently rub your fingertips over the rotors and you'll feel a slight difference and it will be the same spot on all 4 rotor surfaces.

The 3M paint removal discs you can fit into your electric drill will remove this without removing material from your rotors. 

My guess is that this issue was already present before you had your braking incident though and you just didn't notice it.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 05:01:18 AM »
will check for deposits on rotors over the weekend.  Would be great if my luck would change a little and the fix was easy. I bought a used dually truck and have been fight the brake system on it for 2 weeks.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 06:14:11 AM »
will check for deposits on rotors over the weekend.  Would be great if my luck would change a little and the fix was easy. I bought a used dually truck and have been fight the brake system on it for 2 weeks.

GM?
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20078.0

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 06:22:21 AM »
GM?
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20078.0

Good luck with that!    :o

I finally have all the parts together for my brake job. I had to reorder the flex lines since they didn't come with the banjo bolts.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline FZBear10

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »
Try this, I fixed my B-King when it had the same symptoms as your bike by doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nqcHw_t3QlU

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »
That was painful to watch with just a regular wrench, why not use a ratcheting wrench or better yet a small cordless drill with a very slow setting. But it is very effective.

Offline FZBear10

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
That was painful to watch with just a regular wrench, why not use a ratcheting wrench or better yet a small cordless drill with a very slow setting. But it is very effective.

I never knew about that until a member from another forum informed me about this.
I was amazed at how well it worked, the pulsating in my front brakes was totally gone.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
Try this, I fixed my B-King when it had the same symptoms as your bike by doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nqcHw_t3QlU

yes, that was brutally painfull to watch, and a very poor job on the part of the filming...

couple of things to note...
pull the wheel off the bike, simply rediculous not to... then you can lay it down on blocks, and stuff major rags behind the rotor to catch all the spray,

short bolt with nut would have been simple, and using an air ratchet, or drill with the socket chucked up would make short work of the turning thing..

lots of brake cleaner spray..

and NEVER apply any lubricant to any part of a braking system.... EVER.... it will only migrate and cause problems, or in the least, attract and hold more dust and dirt....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline FZBear10

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 11:34:19 AM »
All very true but the end result was the desired one.
I have no idea who did it, but it gets the point across. That saved me from buying new rotors due to lack of knowledge on my part.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 03:31:25 AM »
I don't think you can do this with certain EBC rotors that have the S-Drive button as it's somewhat squared.  The EBC rotors installed on my bike have that system.

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/floating-mc-rotors/

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
Well i finally got a chance to install my new pads, and my slight vibration was still there even with the new pads maybe even slightly worse. So decided to do the method in the video and now its way worse. Think the gunk in them was keeping them from shaking so bad in my case. Oh well 37k ish miles on the stock rotors for a 08 is a good run i guess. New EBC XC rotors on the way. Found them for $340 for the pair with a paypal coupon code on ebay.