Author Topic: Worst to First  (Read 50865 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Worst to First
« on: August 15, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
I recently purchased and rode with the MRA X-Creen windscreen from Twisted Throttle..the whole thing, windscreen and visor. I will say that I was not happy with the new purchase and was on the verge of selling it because it was way too loud behind the windscreen and I didn't like that! The air was clean and there was no turbulence or back pressure which I did like but the noise level was too high.

Fast-forward to today...my Madstad brackets arrived and I installed them and put the MRA X-Creen back on the Madstad brackets and that windscreen went from "worst to first"! The Madstad brackets made a HUGE difference in the feel and sound behind the windscreen! I went from wanting to sell the windscreen to loving it! The Madstad's give me adjustability in angle AND they moved the windscreen up higher so it puts the top of the windscreen in a much better place for me...Madstad's are awesome, I'm a believer!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Worst to First
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
pics?

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 03:49:58 PM »
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »
 :thumbs: :popcorn:

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:56:44 PM »
Here you go!

Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 06:10:20 AM »
Thanks Mike.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 11:33:44 AM »
...my Madstad brackets arrived and I installed them and put the MRA X-Creen back on the Madstad brackets and that windscreen went from "worst to first"!

Mike, how was the hardware supplied by Madstad? Did it match the instructions (parts list) and did you use their install method?
The reason I ask is my parts (way too many from what I could tell) didn't match the parts list and the instructions didn't exactly work for mine. There was enough to get the job done but I couldn't follow the instructions exactly. For instance, the plastic washers which are supposed to go on the last 4 screws installed didn't fit into the wells of the plastic covers, and I had no idea what to do with the 4 big rubber pads. I'm just wondering if they've updated the supplies and instructions. The brackets themselves were first rate, and lined up perfectly. Did you use the OEM rubber strips that are normally on the under side of the windshield? The Madstad instructions I received made no mention of them, but I used them anyway.

Mine will be for sale soon, but I need to iron out the hardware and instructions before I pass them on to someone else.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »
Mike, how was the hardware supplied by Madstad? Did it match the instructions (parts list) and did you use their install method?
The reason I ask is my parts (way too many from what I could tell) didn't match the parts list and the instructions didn't exactly work for mine. There was enough to get the job done but I couldn't follow the instructions exactly. For instance, the plastic washers which are supposed to go on the last 4 screws installed didn't fit into the wells of the plastic covers, and I had no idea what to do with the 4 big rubber pads. I'm just wondering if they've updated the supplies and instructions. The brackets themselves were first rate, and lined up perfectly. Did you use the OEM rubber strips that are normally on the under side of the windshield? The Madstad instructions I received made no mention of them, but I used them anyway.

Mine will be for sale soon, but I need to iron out the hardware and instructions before I pass them on to someone else.

Hey Marty, the instructions were "okay". I was able to figure it out. The large rubber washers go between the mount and the windscreen...under the windscreen. The plastic washers DO NOT fit in the wells of the plastic strip which was a bit frustrating. I did leave the rubber strip behind the plastic strip.

Why are you selling yours?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »
Hey Marty, the instructions were "okay". I was able to figure it out. The large rubber washers go between the mount and the windscreen...under the windscreen. The plastic washers DO NOT fit in the wells of the plastic strip which was a bit frustrating. I did leave the rubber strip behind the plastic strip.

Why are you selling yours?

It didn't eliminate the back pressure for me. I have no idea why because it scoops a ton of air, but no matter how I adjusted it, as soon as I raised the screen there was that phantom passenger behind me pushing my head forward. Of all the windshields and hole cutting I've tried, the '15 windshield works best for me. However, like seats, what works for one person's windshield problem doesn't for another so hopefully the person buying mine will have better luck. I've just got to find all those extra washers and parts I didn't use before I put it up for sale.  :-\

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »
everything madstadt does is right.  they're the reason i did 900+ mile days on my KLR during the coast to coast trip
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

sailor_chic

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 04:32:03 AM »
It didn't eliminate the back pressure for me. I have no ideaqwhy because it scoops a ton of air, but no matter how I adjusted it, as soon as I raised the screen there was that phantom passenger behind me pushing my head forward. Of all the windshields and hole cutting I've tried, the '15 windshield works best for me. However, like seats, what works for one person's windshield problem doesn't for another so hopefully the person buying mine will have better luck. I've just got to find all those extra washers and parts I didn't use before I put it up for sale.  :-\

Isn't this the same physics that make an airplane fly? On a plane they call this lift, on a motorcycle we call it push.

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:48 AM »
^^  The funniest result is a long beard sticking straight out forward.  :rotflmao:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
Isn't this the same physics that make an airplane fly? On a plane they call this lift, on a motorcycle we call it push.

You are probably correct, except (prior to my latest windshield purchase) instead of "push" I called it "a pain in the neck".

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 11:19:17 AM »
It didn't eliminate the back pressure for me. I have no idea why because it scoops a ton of air, but no matter how I adjusted it, as soon as I raised the screen there was that phantom passenger behind me pushing my head forward. Of all the windshields and hole cutting I've tried, the '15 windshield works best for me. However, like seats, what works for one person's windshield problem doesn't for another so hopefully the person buying mine will have better luck. I've just got to find all those extra washers and parts I didn't use before I put it up for sale.  :-\

Like I said before...ZERO back pressure for me. Prior to the MRA I've had (actually still have them) the CeeBailey's Ultra Tall Touring Screen, CalSci Large/Wide screen, Aeroflow Tall, and the VStream. The CalSci was the best at reducing back pressure to almost nothing (CeeBailey's was close and Aeroflow was the worst) but ALL of them created it to some level and with ALL I experienced some level of buffeting. The MRA isn't the quietest but it is close to being as quiet as the tall screens since the Madstad brackets were installed but I can tell you the air is much cleaner...NO BUFFETING! The MRA without Madstad brackets is pretty close to riding without a windscreen...lots of wind and really noisy! So, Madstad + MRA = Great riding experience...at least for me it does!
Mike
Ojai, CA