Author Topic: What'd you do for your Connie today?  (Read 113389 times)

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #400 on: June 07, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:20:39 PM by knight_mare »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: What'd you do for your Connie today?
« Reply #401 on: June 07, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »
Last night after work.  Pulled carbs (and tank, side panels, inner fairing panels, air box and filter, coils and wires) off my bike.  Cleaned my other set of carbs (from dad's bike) and set pesky float levels in about 4 hours - they were bad!  Lots of carb cleaner, fish line and air hose.  Did the bench set for sync (thank's Rich for the instructions I found).  They look great now, I just hope they run great.  The carbs still had their plugs in them at 58k miles.  There must be some rust in the tank, see pictures below of super-fine silt.  Probably why he said it ran a little rough when warming up.  Hooked up new cables to the carbs.  They'll go back in mine tonight.  I also nipped the ends of the plug wires and screwed them all back together.  I'm stopping to get new grips on the way home tonight so maybe I can ride by tomorrow morning.  I think the rubber of the OEM grips keeps reacting to the glue (2 different ones) because they get gooey and slip on the bar after a few months.  Snarf's block-off plates going in too.  Oops, have to clean the K&N filter too - 15 more minutes of time.

SISF - You must have a jig or jigs to hold these as you work.  If I had to do this set after set, like I think you do, at a "regular" work bench, I'd go crazy (or make a jig).

Edit:  Dad's carbs will be getting the "power" jet kit form SISF (already sitting on the workbench) and overflow tubes along with new needles, o-rings, etc.  Mine's just the daily driver, his bike is getting all of the fun stuff.  It's even got T=Cro coils in it already.  If I can just ever finish it.......
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:22:04 PM by RFH87_Connie »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #402 on: June 07, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
Removed my 32mm carbs, installed and sync'd my modified 36mm carbs.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #403 on: June 07, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Removed my 32mm carbs, installed and sync'd my modified 36mm carbs.

Are you just swapping carbs or do they feed into something bigger?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #404 on: June 07, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »
I know I'm a sinner,,, but,,,
I loaded her (and 2 others) on the trailer's to head for the National in Arkansas tomorrow morning.....

While getting ready for the trip, I finished Intake Cam (timing tweak) with Steves Power cams, 2 min jett kit, intake baffle, Jardine Muffler, 4 into 1 exhaust, new tires, new air filter, oil change, valve adjust,,, etc....

See ya'll there.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Are you just swapping carbs or do they feed into something bigger?

There feeding a set of SISF's Power Cams, Steve recommended going to them as I was looking for more top end.

voileauciel

« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
Cleaned up all the luggage. Last time I did that was last year, amazing how dirty they get in 10k miles of riding!

Packing her up tonight for the National, see you all there on Sunday!

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #407 on: June 08, 2012, 04:11:44 AM »

SISF - You must have a jig or jigs to hold these as you work.  If I had to do this set after set, like I think you do, at a "regular" work bench, I'd go crazy (or make a jig).

Maybe he uses one of these...http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900127996/_affidz_-dNXT

I don't pull carbs enough to justify the cost.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #408 on: June 08, 2012, 06:10:06 AM »
I think the rubber of the OEM grips keeps reacting to the glue (2 different ones) because they get gooey and slip on the bar after a few months.
Cheap hair spray has always worked well for me, or nothing at all, if things are clean.  I do have grip heaters attached to throttle tube and handlebar.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #409 on: June 08, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
Cheap hair spray has always worked well for me, or nothing at all, if things are clean.  I do have grip heaters attached to throttle tube and handlebar.

Actually, that's what I did last night.  Who needs special grip glue when you have a can of trusty Aquanet?  I checked them this mourning and there is no slip.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #410 on: June 08, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »
I had to "use or lose" some skymiles and bought a SWEET Chase Harper tank bag

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #411 on: June 08, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »
I had to "use or lose" some skymiles and bought a SWEET Chase Harper tank bag

Do you know anyone that could take a halfway decent pic? ;) ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

>>>>>

Loaded my bike up like a rented mule for a two week trip, AR, MN, head over to WV, then back to Floriduh.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline jeffrey van donselaar

« Reply #412 on: June 09, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
First post for me, and this seemed like the appropriate place! I change the oil and filter, put in new spark plugs, and washed and waxed her.

Offline buzz

« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
mounted up a set of new BT-45's on fresh powder coated wheels.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #414 on: June 10, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »
Friday I finished putting all the plastic back on and took a short test ride.  Hard to tell how well it was running as the throttle cables were hanging up.

Saturday I re-routed the throttle cables, lubed them and cleaned up some of the wiring around the top of the forks.  Then I went on a 25 mile test ride ... WOW ... nice smooth and improved power and torque.

Today I put in a new piece of foam, cut to 1 1/2" in the air box and installed my Jim Snyder modified left front caliper on the rear for more braking power in the back.  I think the more I ride it the more I'm going to like my new Power Cams and carbs.   ;D ;D

Offline F-106

« Reply #415 on: June 10, 2012, 09:52:33 PM »
I got the emblems installed on the bags today. I relocated them were the reflectors were. I think they look better there anyway. But that is just me.

IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #416 on: June 11, 2012, 01:46:56 PM »
I installed a "TOO BRIGHT" brake light in addition to my stock one heh 

this one from the ambulance/patrol car place

http://www.fleetsafety.com/TLED04-Axixtech-Four-Diode-Surface-Mount-LED-Light-1092

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #417 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
I installed Steve torque cams, and a Krieger cam tensioner.
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #418 on: June 12, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »
Removed a drywall screw from my rear tire and replaced it with a sticky plug.

Offline yoman

« Reply #419 on: June 12, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
Removed a drywall screw from my rear tire and replaced it with a sticky plug.

Good thing, 'cause everybody knows that you shouldn't use drywall screws for tires.
2002 Semi-naked Connie