Author Topic: Installed battery backwards  (Read 10116 times)

Offline Ross W

Installed battery backwards
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
I have a 2008 Concourse 14 ABS. I installed a new battery that had the poles reversed. Yes, I do feel really stupid. I heard a soft humming coming from inside the battery housing. I pulled out the battery, saw my mistake, cursed softly, returned the battery, bought the correct battery and installed it correctly. The key in the key pass will not turn to the on position. So. How much damage did I do? Which fuses do I check first? Can I get to the correct fuse box easily? I would prefer not to take this to the shop where I will be laughed at and then charged a Bazillion dollars. Please help!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Installed battery backwards
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:25:28 AM »
I would first check the main fuse behind the battery box. 30amp maybe?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »
I have a 2008 Concourse

Welcome!

(Just a note-
Concourse (Kahn korse ( Think "horse") ) = airport
Concours (Kahn koor (Think "apple core" or "fishing lure") ) = motorcycle   :)  )

14 ABS. I installed a new battery that had the poles reversed.

Oh no, that is yucky.  Unhappy first post :(

Which fuses do I check first? Can I get to the correct fuse box easily? I would prefer not to take this to the shop where I will be laughed at and then charged a Bazillion dollars. Please help!

Like gP said, start with the main fuse and check everything.  Pull each fuse under the seat and check each with a multimeter for continuity.  I hope it goes well.  I am not sure what will happen with a backwards battery (haven't seen a specific post about that).  Do you have the owner's manual?  That is freely available from the Kawasaki site if not.

Let us know what you find.  Best of luck
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »
check that big main fuse inside the cavity the battery resides in, you'll have to remove the battery again to access it. and it's a big fuse, tough to pull.
we have seen a few of these installed incorrectly, and I don't think anyone reported any specific damage from it, but there is always a first time... best of luck.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
It's no big deal- the bike will just do 160MPH backwards  :o  Might have to adjust your riding style  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:22:32 PM »
It's no big deal- the bike will just do 160MPH backwards  :o  Might have to adjust your riding style  ;D

Good thing we have large mirrors
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »
I do believe this is a first on the C-14, or at least the first time I have heard of it.

No real idea as to what may have been damaged but as an overall statement, individual electronics packages, such as the instrument panel (the digital display part), the ECU's and so forth are <usually> protected against reverse polarity because sooner or later, it will happen. Maybe not the way you happen to have it happen but when wire bundles are cut or chafed through, all kinds of cross- current takes place. So I would be quite hopeful that your damage is limited to very specific areas of [not overly expensive] parts.

As Rich said, check the main fuse behind the battery, attached to the starter solenoid. It is a 30 amp mini- fuse, sealed in a waterproof fuze holder and there is a new, spare fuse next to it. If that fuse has popped, that along may be your entire problem. If not, you are going to have to get a voltmeter and start chasing wires to see where the voltage "is not" so you can find your additional problem(s).

As far as the dealer, yep, it might get somewhat expensive, depending on where and how extensive the damage is. As far as the embarrassment, I would ignore that- ever see videos of the original Redstone project? Dem Dare guize could not get a rocket, essentially a copy of a pretty reliable German V2, to fly to save their lives. And get this, they really were rocket scientists! So don't beat on yourself about this, most of us have made bigger mistakes than reversing the polarity of the battery.

We may be able to help you troubleshoot this situation if the main fuze is not the problem and you want to tinker around with it yourself but am unsure what to do. Several of us have schematics and can guide you, at least roughly (but safely) in a step- by- step process.

Best of luck with the bike.

Brian

I have a 2008 Concourse 14 ABS. I installed a new battery that had the poles reversed. Yes, I do feel really stupid. I heard a soft humming coming from inside the battery housing. I pulled out the battery, saw my mistake, cursed softly, returned the battery, bought the correct battery and installed it correctly. The key in the key pass will not turn to the on position. So. How much damage did I do? Which fuses do I check first? Can I get to the correct fuse box easily? I would prefer not to take this to the shop where I will be laughed at and then charged a Bazillion dollars. Please help!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »

You beat me to it!  ;)

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:17:45 AM »
Good thing we have large mirrors

;D ;D

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 07:23:15 AM »
I really hope it's just the fuse mate, and as Brian said, we have ALL screwed up big time, life always has its learning curves and brain dead moments, so we learn! Hoping to hear good news soon...best of luck mate! :)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »
I really hope it's just the fuse mate, and as Brian said, we have ALL screwed up big time, life always has its learning curves and brain dead moments, so we learn! Hoping to hear good news soon...best of luck mate! :)

So true.  Fortunately, for many of us it was on a $400 motorcycle that we got to learn from our mistakes on.  When I am working on my motorcycles I probably move 3 times as slow as I do when doing other tasks around the farm.  I prepare for what service I am about to preform by looking at the manuals and performing it in my head.  Then I dry run what I am about to do to make sure I have everything I need, and finally perform the maintenance.  Every part that comes off gets tagged and bagged.  I can skip to the 3rd step the second time I perform the same maintenance.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »
If your lucky you blow many fuses. But alot of the times every electrical component will puff magic smoke and will need replacing. Especially the Computer.

Good luck and please let us know if you made out good

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 10:49:18 AM »
I just strolled thru the fsm and looked at the circuits, and diagrams, and component analysis, I think you may be safe, as long as you never turned the key on, or tried to start the bike.....
the main relay is fuse protected, and likely the buzzing you heard was the relay being reverse fed, and chattering... no harm if you caught it...but that fuse may have popped...
the other relay box/regulator assembly is also fuse protected, and contains re rectifier circuit, the diods should have done tyhier job, preventing backflow to sensitive components downstream.

you may have jumped the shark on this, fingers crossed, even popping fuses will be a blessing, but you may have to check them all....
disconnect the battery before attempting to remove that main fuse, you may even need to disconnect the relay wires also, to get clearance to pull the main, its under that big connector cap on the relay. pay attention to the wires you remove. take pictures if needed...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Once the battery is out of the way, the main fuse is easy to R&R. Nothing needs to be removed to get to it.

Brian

I just strolled thru the fsm and looked at the circuits, and diagrams, and component analysis, I think you may be safe, as long as you never turned the key on, or tried to start the bike.....
the main relay is fuse protected, and likely the buzzing you heard was the relay being reverse fed, and chattering... no harm if you caught it...but that fuse may have popped...
the other relay box/regulator assembly is also fuse protected, and contains re rectifier circuit, the diods should have done tyhier job, preventing backflow to sensitive components downstream.

you may have jumped the shark on this, fingers crossed, even popping fuses will be a blessing, but you may have to check them all....
disconnect the battery before attempting to remove that main fuse, you may even need to disconnect the relay wires also, to get clearance to pull the main, its under that big connector cap on the relay. pay attention to the wires you remove. take pictures if needed...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 11:45:14 AM »
Once the battery is out of the way, the main fuse is easy to R&R. Nothing needs to be removed to get to it.

Brian

iirc I had a heck of a time getting that top clip piece to release, the manual shows disconnecting the cables, and moving the whole relay block to access the clip and fuse... I gave up before I broke something, seeing as I was just poking around in there and never got it apart...

Offline Ross W

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 12:09:25 PM »
First. I want to thank everybody for their input. I plan to work on the bike this afternoon. Also, my son just went through school to become an electrical instrument technician. I will ask for his assistance tomorrow. I will definitely keep you posted on what I find out. You guys are great.

Offline Ross W

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
It worked! I replaced the 30A fuse in the battery box and presto "magic"! Thanks again you guys! Happy cycling!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 07:32:20 PM »
 :thumbs: :chugbeer: Stick around ..never know what we'll come up with.

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 08:08:31 PM »
Good to know these bikes are fool proof. . .we have all done bone head things

Thanks for sharing

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »
It worked! I replaced the 30A fuse in the battery box and presto "magic"! Thanks again you guys! Happy cycling!

Great to hear!  :chugbeer: