Author Topic: What level of protection in riding boots?  (Read 24006 times)

Offline lawfarm

What level of protection in riding boots?
« on: July 09, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
I looked around to find the right forum for this--if this is the wrong spot, apologies (and please move).

Starting up riding a 'new to me' Concours, after a few years of not riding.  I'm looking to pick up a pair of riding boots, to use in my normal riding.  Normal riding will be a lot of commuting and intermediate distance (30-90 mile) trips, in predominately rural (and sometimes suburban) environments.  Think: lots of 2 lane rural 55mph roads.

There are a bunch of boots that look great, but what I'm primarily trying to decide is if I need the rigid sides and shin protection that some boots offer.  For example, the SIDI Canyon boots look great and get good reviews, but have very limited ankle and shin protection.  On the other hand, something like the SIDI Armada or Dianese TRQ Tour have far more extensive shin and ankle protection.  I'm not planning on track days or tail of the dragon at this point...I just want some comfortable, waterproof/breathable boots that offer greater protection than gym shoes or hikers...and I'm trying to decide how much additional protection is worthwhile or necessary.  I'm sure if you crash you want all of the protection, but I'm looking for some practical advice. 

By way of comparison, if I knew I was going to crash, well, I wouldn't ride...but if I was going to ride, I'd wear full leathers.  I'm not planning on wearing full leathers every day.  So what's a reasonably safe compromise...or should I not compromise on foot protection, and just go to boots with greater protection?

For my work, I'll probably end up bringing shoes with me, and changing when I get to my destination.  So while there are times that a 'normal looking boot' would be nice (e.g. going to pickup carryout Thai food), I'm not planning on doing a lot of riding where I'll get somewhere and have to do a lot of walking in the boots.

Sorry if this is long--trying to give a lot of info to solicit helpful responses.

Offline brant bandit

Re: What level of protection in riding boots?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »
I have a pair of Oxford boots that are fairly low cut. Full ankle protection though.

I've got me eyes on Tourmaster Air boots though.

I think the most important part is proper ankle protection and good soles / tread. Ankles get killed in crashes.......
2014 Concours 1400 in black (the fastest colour)
COG# 11854

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »
What Brant said, ankle protection. I also think easy on/off is important if your lazy like me. If they are a PITA put on, I'm more inclined forgo the boots. I have a pair of lace Icon boots with a ski boot type buckle. I replaced the laces with LockLaces.com. This allows instant on off but the buckle system keeps them on in case of crash. I always slip them on before hoping on the bike.

Other options... NOT

For the Harley riders:

sailor_chic

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
I'll put in a vote for the Tourmasters Air WP. I just purchased these before my 18 day road trip and they were great! Even doing some hiking, they were comfortable to walk in.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »
What Brant said, ankle protection. I also think easy on/off is important if your lazy like me. If they are a PITA put on, I'm more inclined forgo the boots ... {snip}

^ :rotflmao:

I have a pair of lace Icon boots with a ski boot type buckle. I replaced the laces with LockLaces.com. This allows instant on off but the buckle system keeps them on in case of crash. I always slip them on before hoping on the bike.

^ :rotflmao:

Well placed typos in your post, Rhino!  :chugbeer:

Sorry! Resuming boot-talk: These might be too 'boot' for you, but I like my TCX X-Ride waterproof boots a lot :) http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-ride-wp-boots

Not as comfortable as a sneaker, but for me very comfortable to walk around in. Easy on/off ... zipper & velcro only.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
I am just wearing traditional "crusier" style boots with the ride rings by "Double H."  I had a shoe repair store add some additional height to the toe with a replacement sole to help with reaching the ground.  I think they are 15 years old now?  The very heavy leather and full coverage gives good protection.  Even though they are full boots, they are surprisingly comfortable.  But they are very much not waterproof, and don't breathe all that well either.

Walking in them is not difficult, but not great.  If I am not just riding but have a destination, I will carry a pair of regular shoes to wear at destination.  I would NEVER get on a motorcycle without wearing proper boots, gloves, full helmet, and armored jacket.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »
I went to a Harley store and got a pair of leather boots which lace up the front and have a zipper on the inboard side...once the laces are tightened to here desired they don't have to be messed with again, just use the zipper. These boots are extremely comfortable and could be worn all day, they keep my feet warm, dry and safe. The only adjustment necessary to ride on the Connie is to remove the metal Harley-Davidson tag on the heel. Harley does have some excellent riding gear.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
I just got these a couple of days ago and the are comfortable,waterproof and has enough protection and isn't going to break the bank.the first day I got them I put them on and did some in house work for about 3 hours the went for a 50 mile ride and my feet felt great.these boot didn't even need broke in.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-cape-horn-boots#activate_zoom

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:03:59 PM »
I wear the Cruiser Works Boots..

https://cruiserworks.com/Products/Footwear/Cruiserworks%E2%84%A2-Men-s-Tour-Boots.aspx
I own a pair of those same boots for many years. They are really good boots. Completely waterproof and yet they breathe really well. No sweaty stinky feet.
They also feel like your walking in a fine pair of Italian loafers. Very comfortable they look like nice  dress shoes.
Very highly recommended.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »
I never bought riding boots for on road for many years, but spent tons of money protecting my shins, ankles and feet, prior for many hundreds of bucks...
 currently, the company I bought multiple pairs of touring boots from, because when I found them, they were awesom, and when I got them from Iron Pony, they cost a mere $75 delivered... I wish they still made them... totally waterproof, never a soaked foot. and comfey from the start...
I'm on my last set, hope they last another 3 years...

reference:
if you can find these, buy them.... seriously

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?177229-Boot-review-M2R-Nordic-Waterproof-Boot

next up, and I have not bought them, but M2R were the best I had since my 1974 metal shin protected High point moto boots..

http://www.made2race.com.au/all-products/freeway-boot

if these were my size. I'd buy them in a second... my feelings about M2R products are +10 so far...
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mObwvNeWKZ7TeZEKlYBWwsQ.jpg

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 07:01:11 AM »
I'm still wearing a pair of Wolverine pull on boots I bought in 2009 on the way home from Iowa on a trip from Pittsburgh. I was on my old RC51 and my boots gave out. I waterproofed them on the sidewalk in front of the store and went on my way with my old ones strapped to the top of the pack. They have never leaked in all these years of riding in rain. I keep them treated.

I am looking to replace them soon so this is a good thread.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 10:12:48 AM »
I went to a Harley store and got a pair of leather boots which lace up the front and have a zipper on the inboard side...once the laces are tightened to here desired they don't have to be messed with again, just use the zipper. These boots are extremely comfortable and could be worn all day, they keep my feet warm, dry and safe. The only adjustment necessary to ride on the Connie is to remove the metal Harley-Davidson tag on the heel. Harley does have some excellent riding gear.

That... tho, not at a Harley shop (but they are labeled as such). After a year or so, they became uncomfortable to walk in, but they're still great for riding.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »
I wear the Cruiser Works Boots..

https://cruiserworks.com/Products/Footwear/Cruiserworks%E2%84%A2-Men-s-Tour-Boots.aspx

$325?  Yeesh. I just paid $200 for these, the most I have ever paid.  I do like them but beware, they are narrow. I have narrow foot, so no biggie for me. First road trip coming up.  I wear them all day long at work in an office. I should change shoes just to save the wear.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35956/i/gaerne-g-altus-road-boots
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »
I paid about $200 for mine some years back.  I wonder if I should sell them as vintage for $400?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »
$325?  Yeesh.

Yeah, that pushes the envelope for just boots.  At least for me it does.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
Does me as well.  $200 is about my limit.  They're good but not that good.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 09:22:52 PM »
Replaced my Strada Air, about 9 years old with some of this.  ;)

My Strada Gore Tex are long in the tooth and will need to be replaced soon!
Coming from a dirt background I love the tall boots!

For me, Sidi boots are all-day comfortable straight out of the box!

I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 10:26:13 PM »
I paid about $200 for mine some years back.  I wonder if I should sell them as vintage for $400?

I'll give ya $380 ... and not a penny more!!!

Oh wait, what size do you wear?? :P

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 02:50:48 AM »
Your size.  That's the ticket!