Author Topic: Teaching an Old Dog...  (Read 1759 times)

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
Teaching an Old Dog...
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »
Hi Guys- my 08 has been running a little rough and popping quite a bit while decelerating. It was 37C (98F) yesterday, so I broke tradition and filled the gas tank with high octane. WOW- what a difference! I've always considered the whole premium thing as a scam. I still prefer to call it "High Octane", but in this hotter weather it does make a difference.

Guess thats why the owners manual recommends it.  mat

I'll probably still go back to regular when it cools down
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Teaching an Old Dog...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
Hi Guys- my 08 has been running a little rough and popping quite a bit while decelerating. It was 37C (98F) yesterday, so I broke tradition and filled the gas tank with high octane. WOW- what a difference! I've always considered the whole premium thing as a scam. I still prefer to call it "High Octane", but in this hotter weather it does make a difference.

Guess thats why the owners manual recommends it.  mat

The "premium" thing *is* a scam.  There is nothing premium about it- except the price it demands, which is mostly artificial at this point.  Advertising it as better, or higher-end, or premium is most certainly a marketing scam (and should probably be stricken down as false advertising by the FTC).  In almost all cases, all two or three grades at the pump have all the same type and quality additives, also.

The "high octane" thing is NOT a scam- it is quite the opposite.  You should be using the octane recommended by the manufacturer if you want the best power, mileage, and longevity of the engine.  That means not lower, and not higher either.

I'll probably still go back to regular when it cools down

I wouldn't recommend that.  Outside temp is irrelevant.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: Teaching an Old Dog...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »
Had you been using gasohol and then switched to gas without ethanol. Several years ago when I was driving a bulk truck with dual fuel tanks I was having issues in the heat of the summer. I filled one tank with regular unleaded (no ethanol) & the other had 10% (gasohol). As soon as I switched to the gasohol I would experience vapor lock just a couple miles down the road. When I switched back to regular unleaded the problems went away.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours