Author Topic: Warped front rotors  (Read 4411 times)

Offline TonyR

Warped front rotors
« on: June 11, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »
Just got back from my Nova Scotia tour, and before I left, I replaced the front and rear rotors and brakes. 
Since I had already replaced the front rotors once under the waranty, I decided to try new rotors. So I ordered a set of ebc rotors thinking they would be better. Wrong, they warped in about 500 miles.
what's with this bike? Mine is an 2008, do the newer models correct this problem?
Any suggestions on what brand to use?

Thanks
Tony

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Warped front rotors
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »
I'm surprised that the EBC's warped..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:34:08 AM »
Just wondering how you know they are warped?  The only way to tell for sure is to use a run-out gauge and measure.  There are multiple different brake issues that end up as things you feel in the bars or the brake lever and I'm thinking you are just assuming that the rotors are warped when something else is the real issue.

Offline TonyR

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:48:24 PM »
I guess I could be assuming they are.
After I installed them, there was no vibration while applying the brakes, now that is. What else could it be?

Tony

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 04:00:56 AM »
Are you using their pads?  I had a severe vibration when braking and it was the front wheel bearings.  After I changed them, the vibration did not go away but it was reduced.  How many miles on the bike?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline TonyR

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:18:17 PM »
Yes I'm using the EBC rotors and pads. I have 38,000 miles

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 07:13:47 AM »
Yes I'm using the EBC rotors and pads. I have 38,000 miles

I would send a note to EBC about that and see what they say..

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:40:44 AM »
Just got back from my Nova Scotia tour, and before I left, I replaced the front and rear rotors and brakes. 
Since I had already replaced the front rotors once under the waranty, I decided to try new rotors. So I ordered a set of ebc rotors thinking they would be better. Wrong, they warped in about 500 miles.
what's with this bike? Mine is an 2008, do the newer models correct this problem?
Any suggestions on what brand to use?

Thanks
Tony

I had the stock front rotor's replaced on my 09 twice under waranty before switching over to EBC's! Done around 46000 km's on them with a few track days thrown into the mix...still going strong! I've only heard good things about them, the reason I went to EBC's in the first place! I'd send them a note as Jim says, you never know, worth a try. Best of luck mate!

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 06:59:05 AM »
I thought mine were warped on my 08 at about 5k.  I cleaned all the brake pad residue off them, switched to EBC pads and they've been fine ever since.  Original rotors and EBC pads about every 25k.  60k+ on them now.

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »
 I have never yet seen an EBC rotor go bad or warp so I too would question whether it is the rotor or something else- dial indicator and rotate the wheel and see what the runout is- pretty easy to check in under 5 minutes time.

different bike........but this picture depicts what I see far too often. Often it results in a variety of feels in the lever when braking, but always the lower piston is not moving (at all or) at the same rate and freeness as the upper piston(s)

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 07:28:40 AM »
Brembo.
I love my Brembos!  Got them from PJ's Parts online.

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
Just wondering how you know they are warped?  The only way to tell for sure is to use a run-out gauge and measure.  There are multiple different brake issues that end up as things you feel in the bars or the brake lever and I'm thinking you are just assuming that the rotors are warped when something else is the real issue.

If your brake lever is "pulsing" it might be pad material that has deposited itself in one spot on the rotor when holding the brake at a stop-light when the rotor & pads are hot.  This has happened to me and several friends on a number of occasions and we fix it like this;   From highway speed,  apply the front brake VERY HARD but not quite to a complete stop.  Do it again.  Now one more time.   At this point the pulsing should be gone  (if the rotors are NOT warped.... if they are, you aren't doing any more damage trying this)   because you raised the rotor & pad temperature high enough to wipe off the pad deposit.  Keep in mind the pulsing will come back the next time you hold the front brake at a standstill when rotors are hot.
Certain pad/rotor combinations are really bad about this condition,  others are not.  I'm not crazy,  this really works.  :thumbs:
To help prevent it from happening over and over,  I've gotten in the habit of releasing the front brake at 2-3 mph and holding the rear brake with just the left foot down at stops.  But of course that is not practical when 2-up and both feet are needed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:47:31 PM by Flat-spot »