Author Topic: Go Audi! Diesel from Steam and CO2...  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Go Audi! Diesel from Steam and CO2...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
I'm very glad to see R&D moving outside the realm of electric only.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:29:56 PM »
 "the company expects that excess renewable energy will eventually be able to supply that energy cheaply."

Well, sure, who doesn't have gobs of EXCESS RENEWABLE ENERGY  laying about.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:45:58 PM »
i knew this thread would be going places 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »
Well, sure, who doesn't have gobs of EXCESS RENEWABLE ENERGY  laying about.

Yes, and renewable energy is so inexpensive too!  I'm the last to desparage R&D efforts, since that is my job, but there are some developments that aren't ready for prime time and especially a story like this.  Well, good luck to them.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:55:38 AM »
Yes, and renewable energy is so inexpensive too!  I'm the last to desparage R&D efforts, since that is my job, but there are some developments that aren't ready for prime time and especially a story like this.  Well, good luck to them.

Yes, good luck to them. It's a great idea, it really is, but one big problem with all these "renewable energy" ideas is that before they ever develop one some other great new thought comes along and they chase that idea and drop the others like a hot rock.
Remember diesel was going to all come from algae not long ago. Great! I've got a few swamps out back. I could homebrew fuel for my TDIs. Not happening any time soon.
Audi is very big into the diesel future, however. Their diesel rally cars make a big presence all over the (European/Asian)world scene. 
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »
And the thing about Diesel is that for big rigs, locomotives, etc., we don't have a viable alternative on the horizon anytime soon.  Sure, for commuter rail you can do electric, but for hauling freight Diesel is king, and will be for some time to come I think!

I'll be interested to see how well Audi's process scales up.  The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

As for the 'excess renewables thing', since Germany went hog wild on solar, they do have excess peak production at times that needs a place to go.  This is what Audi was referring to.  While I wonder how well they could capitalize on that, well it's a thought at least.

Germany has been making steady progress on increasing their renewable energy mix.  27.3% as of the end of 2014:
http://www.euractiv.com/sections/energy/renewables-dominate-german-energy-mix-311101
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
I'm not sure how quickly the alternative energy technology is advancing but it seems that not too long ago it required more energy to create the solar panels and associated whatnots than the solar energy devices could create in their expected lives.

I'm thrilled with the prospect of inexpensive green energy but not if requires taxpayer subsidies and requires more energy to build than it can produce. People who drive regular cars should not have to pay for those that want to drive electric cars. And the folks that fly on private jets need to shut the hell up about the environment, green energy, global warming, and the melting polar ice cap.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
If you have gobs of "excess renewable energy" lying about, then you can separate hydrogen from oxygen and make hydrogen fuel cells. I wonder if diesel from steam and CO2 is more efficient then that. The miner detail in all this is the pesky "excess renewable energy".