Author Topic: Ford's theater in Washington, DC  (Read 8206 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Ford's theater in Washington, DC
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
I think just about every American knows the basics of what happened at Ford's theater in Washington; for others, it was the theater where President Abraham Lincoln was watching a play on 14 April, 1865 when he was shot and killed by John Wilkes Booth.

Following the assassination, the theater was purchased by the US Gov't and used for various functions until part of it collapsed in 1893. After languishing for years, it was restored and re-opened as a theater again in 1968, and underwent another renovation and another re- opening, still as a theater, in 2009. The presidential box that Lincoln was sitting in when he was shot is still there and has been preserved / restored as closely as possible to as it was on that night in 1865. The presidential box is not open to the public but the rest of the theater is and stages plays as well as maintaining a museum.

This year is the 150th anniversary of the assassination and the theater commissioned a play about Mary Lincoln's life after the death of her husband. Written by James Still, it is named 'The Widow Lincoln' and opens on 24 Jan. 2015.

And now for the cool part: my son bought my wife and his wife tickets to see the opening of that play. They will be seated about 4 seats away from the presidential box. She will have to fly to DC and back again in a single weekend and it will be a hectic trip for sure but still.... a fantastic and thoughtful gift from our son I think and it should be a very interesting experience for both of them.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Ford's theater in Washington, DC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »
Why are politicians assasinated but everyone else is murdered?
And the BG who kills the politician always is named by their full name? I.e. Lee Harvey Osawald, John Wilkes Booth, etc.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
That is totally cool Brian! I'm quite jealous and Cholla is stuck in the arena.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »
Boothe was killed just up the road from me, off 301.

If he's stuck, I can probably get him out.  ;)

Why are politicians assasinated but everyone else is murdered?
And the BG who kills the politician always is named by their full name? I.e. Lee Harvey Osawald, John Wilkes Booth, etc.

Good questions..

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 12:35:57 PM »
Yeah, I think so- no idea how much time there will be available to them, or how interested they will even be in the historic part but the museum should be interesting too. The rooming house next door, where Lincoln died, is also part of the museum apparently.

As far as the arena goes, that is all fine and well but this thread is not about anything political or ideological, merely my mentioning some members of my family attending an event that I find interesting and may be of some interest to others perhaps.

BTW, my daughter- in- law is originally from NC and I doubt she shares my views of Mr. Lincoln, assuming she has any opinion either way.  ;) 

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »
Cool. If memory serves, he was killed in a barn by a soldier shooting him in the neck.

Brian

Boothe was killed just up the road from me, off 301.

If he's stuck, I can probably get him out.  ;)

Good questions..

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
And IIRC the story about how Booth was captured is thought to be incorrect.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »
And IIRC the story about how Booth was captured is thought to be incorrect.

Really?
I been there....

A couple of times......
It sits between lanes on Va rt 301, adjacent to Fort A.P.Hill miltary base....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:33:59 PM »
 During the Civil War 125th anniversary, I was very active in reenacting and did a lot of volunteering with the National Park Service. For the commemoration of the Lincoln assassination at Ford's Theater, a good friend of mine was portraying Lincoln (very convincingly I might add) with another friend as Mrs.Lincoln. My wife and I portrayed Major Rathbone and Clara Harris who were also in the President's box at the time. We were in the box opposite the original box, but decorated identically for the event. It was pretty awesome coming into the packed theater full of other period reenactors along with the public, while the band played "Hail to the Chief" as we made our way through applause to the box. At the exact time of the assassination during the program, the lights dimmed on our box and lit up the actual box. The Park Service representative then gave the history of the events of the rest of that night. Very moving and I'm glad I got to be part of that.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
I like American Civil War history, all of it, any kind, reading, walking, looking, museums. And, I'm lucky enough living in Cleveland that I'm not too far away from it all. I drove past the theater a few years back when I was in DC for a funeral at Arlington and I wished then I could have stopped. To answer the question that I didn't think was political at all, I think an assassin kills for political reasons or to further an agenda whereas a  murderer isn't motivated by any political influences.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 05:42:15 PM »
Outstanding. I will pass this story along to my wife, she may appreciate it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Brian

During the Civil War 125th anniversary, I was very active in reenacting and did a lot of volunteering with the National Park Service. For the commemoration of the Lincoln assassination at Ford's Theater, a good friend of mine was portraying Lincoln (very convincingly I might add) with another friend as Mrs.Lincoln. My wife and I portrayed Major Rathbone and Clara Harris who were also in the President's box at the time. We were in the box opposite the original box, but decorated identically for the event. It was pretty awesome coming into the packed theater full of other period reenactors along with the public, while the band played "Hail to the Chief" as we made our way through applause to the box. At the exact time of the assassination during the program, the lights dimmed on our box and lit up the actual box. The Park Service representative then gave the history of the events of the rest of that night. Very moving and I'm glad I got to be part of that.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 12:52:12 AM »
Cool. If memory serves, he was killed in a barn by a soldier shooting him in the neck.
Just how old are you?   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 06:53:23 AM »
Good catch.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 07:41:01 AM »
I like American Civil War history, all of it, any kind, reading, walking, looking, museums. And, I'm lucky enough living in Cleveland that I'm not too far away from it all. I drove past the theater a few years back when I was in DC for a funeral at Arlington and I wished then I could have stopped. To answer the question that I didn't think was political at all, I think an assassin kills for political reasons or to further an agenda whereas a  murderer isn't motivated by any political influences.

Like you Dave, growing up in Cleveland, as school kids we learned very little about the civil war, just what was printed in history books... which is realistically ver litttle... how tru I found after moving to Richmond, and it opened my eyes to how little we actually were tought. In the 10 years there, we visited litterally a hundred battlefields, covered thousands of miles of troop movements, cemetaries, historic venues, and little known places that were soo critical to what transpired, it was mind boggling.... then add in all the precedence from the American Revolution, and comparably what we learned in school could fit on the head of a pin.
I probably have 200 ADV tag photos relating to the wars, and everytime I gloss thru them get chills. Standing in some of those battlefields, where 5000 men gave their life in a four hour firefight, on american soil, is humbling to say the least. And to remind all again, these battles were fought over the rights of fellow men on our continent.

Can anyone guess where this is?

The only relationship for this photo, his her name... I just liked the picture....

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:26:42 AM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 08:46:03 AM »
Just because you have been somewhere doesn't make the story true. Some say the Civil War was about slavery but that isn't true, either.
Oswald is said to be JFk's murderer but there is tons of evidence to prove otherwise.

There is evidence that the Sec of War, Stanton, was the ringleader of the conspiracy to kill lincoln and helped Booth escape. it is also said the govt found they had the wrong man but covered it up to save face.
Booth's family said they kept in touch with him until his death in Enid, OK in 1903 when a man confessed on his death bed that he was Booth. The man was 63 years old, which would have made him the exact age of Booth and had suffered a broken ankle at one time, just as Booth had.
Why were many of Booth's accomplices later pardoned? Why did Grant cancel his plans to attend the show with Lincoln? Lotsof unanswered questions surrounding Lincoln's murder..

Who blew up the Luisitania? Did seal Team Six really kill bin Laden? It was said THREE times he had been killed before ST6 supposedly killed him. The CIA now says all the UFO sightings were due to U-2 flights. But what about the sightings before the U2 flew? Do you believe the government's story? It doesn't hold water. And it has been proven there were in fact WMDs in Iraq.
Remember this:when the legend is bigger than the facts, print the legend.

As for my age, does it matter? Why the personal attack? are your beliefs being challenged?
Do you think wrestling is real?

As for Ford's Theater, it's a shame it was allowed to fall into disrepair. You would think it would be kept up.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »
Not quite old enough to have read about his death in the current newspapers.... but close.  ;D

My memory is of having read about the happening many years ago and I am not 100% sure I remember it correctly so I always try to state things with the understanding it may not be right. Gravity I am sure of, the last words of JWB ("useless, useless") I am only 'pretty confident' I remember correctly.

Brian

Just how old are you?   :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »
Me too but not just American Civil War history but all history. History is what caused everything to be as it is now, and <mostly> everyone to be as we are now. In my own personal opinion, nothing makes much sense without understanding the history that led to the current point. And the real difficulty I think is understanding history, not absorbing the facts of history. For example: I believe the American Civil War started with the founding of the US, and ended, perhaps, in the 1970's or perhaps it is not quite over yet (and I am absolutely not a liberal).

I think the real treat that comes from learning about history is getting to 'know' some truly special, gifted, able and brilliant people. My son recently read a biography of Benjamin Franklin and admitted that he got a little misty- eyed when Franklin died (in the book of course).

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
This thread went to ****.
How do I unsubscribe.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »
Just stop reading it.. ;)

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
1+ on the history Brian. I have found that it helps me to understand if you read opposing views on the same period.
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie