Author Topic: carbon deposits  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
carbon deposits
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »
I pulled the valve cover off of my C14 to do a valve adjustment. There was, what seems to me, a large amount of carbon all up in the air vent valves. Is this typical?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: carbon deposits
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »
I pulled the valve cover off of my C14 to do a valve adjustment. There was, what seems to me, a large amount of carbon all up in the air vent valves. Is this typical?

I don't know if I've seen it often enough to call it typical, but I have seen them get pretty dirty. I've had to clean them out sometimes with brake cleaner and toothbrush.

You can block-off the whole system if you want...by plugging the hose, or by installing block-off plates, or you can install No-Flo pins in the cylinder head.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
Thanks!  This is the first time I have been inside of one of these engines and wasn't sure what the score was. I think for now I'll just clean all that up. It reminded me of the cross over in the old Small Block Chevy intake manifolds.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
There was, what seems to me, a large amount of carbon all up in the air vent valves. Is this typical?

Here is a look at carbon build-up inside a BMW 1600. I doubt you'll have this on your connie!

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/attachments/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/30033d1417118354-ouch-timing-chain-skip-img_3387-jpg

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:38:16 PM »
Here is a look at carbon build-up inside a BMW 1600. I doubt you'll have this on your connie!

OMG- that is horrible!  What in the world is THEIR problem?  Super rich mix?  Oh wait, the link seems to imply the timing chain skipped.  Yikes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc