Author Topic: Speed limiter Gen 2 , has anyone bypassed or eliminated it.  (Read 9517 times)

AlbertaDoug

Speed limiter Gen 2 , has anyone bypassed or eliminated it.
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »
Conrad posted this :
"Are you talking about the Gen 2 with the speed limiter? Poor things have a top speed of only 154. "

Well I was wondering if anyone has attempted to remove this limiter or bypass it?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Speed limiter Gen 2 , has anyone bypassed or eliminated it.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »
It can be changed with a ecu reflash.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »
It can be changed with a ecu reflash.

1 more point towards the re flash versus a PCV

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:52:56 AM »
I don't know how I could tell...
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »
I had Guhl change mine when I had the reflash done.
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »
Conrad posted this :
"Are you talking about the Gen 2 with the speed limiter? Poor things have a top speed of only 154. "

Well I was wondering if anyone has attempted to remove this limiter or bypass it?

The Guhl flash can remove it (what little it is).  I am not sure if I told him to remove it or not when mine was flashed.  I really didn't/don't care.  I will never be going 154.  I will never be going 144.  I will never be going 134 or 124 or 114 either. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 04:22:45 AM »
I can say that my bike will get to 150 without any problems. Im rather impressed how well it pulls above 100 and continues to go! Another thing that amazes me is how stable this bike feels at high speeds. Although I'm comparing it to my Vmax which is a handful at 110-120, but then is better once past 120.
I found myself maintaining 100 for about 5 miles yesterday while on some deserted back roads. This bike simply sings at this speed, saying give me more!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 04:35:45 AM »
Same here. The bike it rock solid at triple digits.   :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:45:24 AM »
I can say that my bike will get to 150 without any problems. Im rather impressed how well it pulls above 100 and continues to go! Another thing that amazes me is how stable this bike feels at high speeds. Although I'm comparing it to my Vmax which is a handful at 110-120, but then is better once past 120.
I found myself maintaining 100 for about 5 miles yesterday while on some deserted back roads. This bike simply sings at this speed, saying give me more!

+1

I always have to be careful because it doesn't seem to matter if it is 60, 80, or 100, the Concours just flies down the road with ease.  On my previous bike (ZRX), I very much knew what speed I was going.  That was partially because it was mostly "naked", partially because it was much lower tech, and partially because it was much less powerful.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 07:01:47 AM »
Just for reference:

http://www.guhlmotors.com

In theory, my speed limiter has been removed but I've never tested it.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »
You don't get many complaints of poor terminal velocity on C14/14GTR........its not what the bikes about.

For a barn door of a bike its ability to sit at 6-7.5k rpm in 6th for hour after hour with rock solid stability and confidence building rider feed back its what it was designed for....................to shrink continents

Alas I had to do this out side the UK

But its what I brought the bike for. :thumbs:

Offline old n rusty

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
Took my Guhl flashed 2012 to a local cruiser rally this summer. Thought it would be fun to run her on their dyno. Had to smile when the dyno operator told me he had never seen 190mph on his read-out at a harley show.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »
Took my Guhl flashed 2012 to a local cruiser rally this summer. Thought it would be fun to run her on their dyno. Had to smile when the dyno operator told me he had never seen 190mph on his read-out at a harley show.

Nice 8)  190mi - 306km   :thumbs: 
Best I ever seen  personally is 176 mi (284km) not on this bike though.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »

:rotflmao: :chugbeer: :thumbs:

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:13 AM »
Nice 8)  190mi - 306km   :thumbs: 
Best I ever seen  personally is 176 mi (284km) not on this bike though.

Its always a problem to find a nice (am sure you know what I mean by nice) place to stretch the legs of our rides.

As they said in "Top Gun"................I feel the need.................The need for speed.............. :thumbs:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 06:54:31 AM »

I have a Guhl flashed 2010. I wonder if it could actually do that on the road with a cut down shield. I think the speed limiter is because above 155 mph it will break the windshield wish bone. Does the dyno account for wind resistance?

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 07:27:39 AM »
Does the dyno account for wind resistance?

No.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 09:48:24 AM »
No.

In that case the dyno will not tell you how fast the bike will go, only how it's geared.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »
Correct!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
I ran on a Dyno Drag once with my Valkyrie. They weighed me with the bike, put that data into the dyno. It then added that info to the dyno to add resistance to accelerate the mass. Seems like they could put in a wind drag estimate based on frontal area and speed.