Author Topic: Front wheel buz  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Uh60dvr

Front wheel buz
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Just replaced front tire and brakes on my 2008 non-ABS C14.  Now I have a buzz coming from the front and can hear the break pads clicking against the rotors.  This is the first time I've done it on this bike and may have messed something up.  Any help would be appreciated

Offline rcannon409

Re: Front wheel buz
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:44:02 AM »
This is likely the brake pads.  Does the noise sound electronic like?  Like our old tv's made when the volume was off?   If so, blame the pads.

I foud DP brake pads to be awesome powerful, but made this electronic sounding noise. Galfer pads run very quiet. EBC's, for me, tended to be noisy liek your talking about.

I learned to ignore it. I thought about using some of the special grease from my Lexus brake pad job. They said to put it on the back of the pad. I THINK it was supposed to prevent this type of noise, but I never tried.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
A little chatter on very light braking with new pads is pretty normal. Is it by chance happening when backing the bike up and then using the front brake? That forces the pads to go to the other side of the clearance in the calipers and may make a modest click as they seat.

Brian

Just replaced front tire and brakes on my 2008 non-ABS C14.  Now I have a buzz coming from the front and can hear the break pads clicking against the rotors.  This is the first time I've done it on this bike and may have messed something up.  Any help would be appreciated
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Uh60dvr

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »
It is an old TV sounding buzz, the revs go up as the speed increases.   They are BikeMaster pads, and it's really unnerving at I65 speeds.  Another thing, are the front wheel spacers supposed to be seated flush with the wheel...I didn't take pics before I took the wheel off and I just want to make sure I got it right.  The flange is flat to the fork with about a 1/8 gap between the flange and the wheel

jirod

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:48:40 PM »
It is an old TV sounding buzz, the revs go up as the speed increases.   They are BikeMaster pads, and it's really unnerving at I65 speeds.  Another thing, are the front wheel spacers supposed to be seated flush with the wheel...I didn't take pics before I took the wheel off and I just want to make sure I got it right.  The flange is flat to the fork with about a 1/8 gap between the flange and the wheel

The outside of the spacer sits flush against the fork, and there should be a space between the inside of the spacer flange and the wheel/seal. I'm sure you've checked, but verify that the pad springs are installed correctly, and the rotor is running centered in the caliper. Axle nut tightened to 94 FOOT-POUNDS? Did you pump the forks to seat the axle before tightening the axle clamp bolts? Wheel rotating freely by hand when elevated off the ground (some pad contact is normal)?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
That part is right. About an 1/8th inch from the flange to the seal.
And a click when hitting the lever is normal too. You're bringing a bunch of brake pads to bear against an iron pair if rotors.

If it feels ok, I'd let it set itself. If you cleaned everything good, it should be loose and noisy. Probably normal. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:17:36 AM »
Its the pads....That "old tv" electronic sound is the perfect description. Well done.

Nothing wrong, its just that the factory went out of their way to make sure their compound did not make the noise, and aftermarket pads cant really do this.

I did not find a solution other than different pads.

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
I am running the EBC pads and have no noise, other than the click I hear when applying the brakes while the bike is not running, sitting in the garage, normal. I am wondering if others use brake grease as I do. I always put brake grease where the pads contact the pistons and where there is metal to metal contact. Of course I use it on the pins. I have no noise, or I have no hearing.  ;D

Offline Uh60dvr

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
I looked it all over, "pumped the forks and seated the axle" and that seems to have been the issue.  Thanks for all the help!

jirod

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »
Glad it's all taken care of.

I looked it all over, "pumped the forks and seated the axle" and that seems to have been the issue.  Thanks for all the help!